"Windy" is an understatement in Colorado

Mmcan

WKR
We've been hunting OTC in southwest Colorado, and I'll be damned if we don't see Dorothy flying by in her house. And her little dog, too!

Gusts to 40mph. Multidirectional. Trees falling. Cats and dogs living together. There's no way to play it without getting our scent blown everywhere.

Good luck to the others hunting out here. It will be a miracle if we see any elk.

It's funny you mention this, as I work outside all day in SW Colorado. I didn't really notice it much until I stopped working. I guess if I was actually hunting I'd pay more attention to it.

The wind is supposed to end this week, which sure is handy......

AdamW

WKR
We had that last year in first rifle. Made me wonder if it was always like that but when trees started snapping over on the regular and trails/paths we turning in to blow-down.... :D

OP
M

Mmcan

WKR
It's funny you mention this, as I work outside all day in SW Colorado. I didn't really notice it much until I stopped working. I guess if I was actually hunting I'd pay more attention to it.

The wind is supposed to end this week, which sure is handy......

Unfortunately, so is the archery season😕

Also, it's supposed to get down into the 20's w snow, which would be awesome.
Good luck to all of you. Be safe.

I'm north of steamboat. No better here. Gusting to 35 today, which has been par for the course all week. Did snow Tuesday night. All gone by lunch on Wednesday. This crazy wind has really made elk hunting tough. I've been busted by 2 bulls due to swirling winds.

OP
M

Mmcan

WKR
We've been busted as well. Last time at 80yds. Approached 4 bulls (w no cows. odd?) w wind in our favor. Glassing to see if they're legal. Winds swirl as soon as we see 2 legal bulls. All 4 noses go upon the air in no time, and they're gone.

We've tried to find areas w less wind but it's a total blow out. No real way to hunt this w a bow. Can't even sit and wait.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
I thought I knew what wind was. And then I went to Dodge City, Kansas. Dang it blew and it was cold. Only thing that topped that was Wyoming wind when it was -4 degrees.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was up above tree line trying to sneak in to some elk bedded in the last trees and willows. It was so windy I could barely walk upright (I had to go to about 12,500 to avoid a rock band) . I finally flung a Judo at a rock about 30 yards out to see how it flew (hunting trad). It was not pretty , I figured shots needed to be 10 -15 yards . I finally bailed , I got sick of being beat around by the wind.

530Chukar

WKR
Two years ago we hunted in the White River and were using atv's to get into some of the higher country. The wind came in after we got up there and it was a disaster coming out with aspens all over the trails. Luckily between 3 of us we were able to move some of them just enough to get by. I won't take it out without an axe now.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ya, after the swirling winds blew out four different 6x6's all within 50 yards this week, I finally packed it in yesterday with no relief in sight until later this weekend.

The final straw was yesterday morning. I drive to a new spot I had checked out two days before and I arrive 30 minutes before first light, and what do I hear while I'm fumbling around in the truck.......a close bugle, within 150 yards most likely. So I wait out the darkness with a "constant" wind coming directly from my right, with the bull straight out in front of me 90 degrees from the wind.

So as soon as I could see to shoot I worked to my left and started my aggressive bugling. Everything was working perfectly as we closed the distance and I finally had him worked up and at 35 yards. The last place I bugled from and tore up a tree was off to my right about 50 yards. He's right there at 35 behind a tree tearing it up, and he's a real good bull. My shooting lane is just right of that tree, and I'm ready to shoot. Then right on cue the wind shifted 90 degrees from my right to directly on my neck.:mad::mad::mad:

One of the reasons I wanted to try this spot was what I found two days beforehand. Always a good sign for elk hunting. He had recently completely stripped this tree of branches before knocking it over. Good bull.

Attachments

• 100_3649.jpg
    100_3649.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 50