Wine with game meat

Talk at me about your favorite wine to go with game meat.

I am more of a bourbon / beer guy but I cracked open a nice Australian Shiraz / cab this weekend from penfolds while grilling up some deer steaks. It got me thinking I could step up my game on the grape juice side.

Mainly Looking for suggestions that might be nice to go with venison roasts or steaks but open to broader thoughts on what you mix with your wild game meals.

I ain’t a wine guy so let’s keep it low to mid price and use small words please.

Wine with a meal is all about what pleases your palate. If you aren't familiar with wines, it's about impossible to suggest what you'll like with a meal. Think of it like coffee or beer....an acquired taste which gets refined over time. That said...

For meal times and those getting started with wine, I would suggest sticking to bottles under $20 and there are some good pours out there costing under $12. You don't need to stick with a specific varietal like merlot, cabernet, shiraz, etc. There are plenty of blends which make great wines for dinner. Some generally good reds to start with:

Bogle Red Blend
Red Diamond Merlot
Bridlewood Red Blend
14 Hands 'Hot To Trot'
Castillero del Diablo Carmenere

Keep in mind that most inexpensive wine is 'young' and often has a bit of bite or aftertaste. It will almost always taste much better if decanted for a couple hours. Decanting allows air to get to the wine....nitrogen to escape....and some smoothness to develop. You can simply open a bottle and let it sit that way; just cover the top with a paper towel to deter gnats which love wine. Even better is dumping the bottle into an actual decanter, pitcher or something which allows a much broader exposure to air. If you want to realize the benefits of decanting, open a bottle of decent wine and drink part of it within a couple hours, then re-cork the bottle. Uncork it 24 hours later and have a taste. You might be amazed at how much nicer it drinks. Decanting is one sure way to make a $12 bottle drink like a $20+ purchase.

Have fun!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you have a Costco, try a bottle of Substance Cs, from Washington- was very pleased with this wine pairing w/ a rather rare bison roast, the price is right too

Anything from Dry Creek Vineyards works well. Really depends on what you're making and how you're making it (grill, smoker, broiler). I typically am a straight Cab guy with my game steaks and heavy roasts. If I am smoking something I tend to use a lot of smoke flavor so a Malbec (usually something from Argentina) is my go to. There's some great, cost-effective Reds out there.

Mitten32

WKR
The link is my go to for a venison/ red meat wine pairing. The price to taste ratio fits my pallet and budget well. We have friends over for venison dinners green mountain and pair it with this wine and get lots of compliments on the combo

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a cabernet fan through and through with wild game meals. A couple super cheap California cabs I pick up from Whole Foods are Rickshaw ($12.99) and Quail Creek ($4.99). Enjoy!

Clarence

WKR
Anything from Dry Creek Vineyards works well. Really depends on what you're making and how you're making it (grill, smoker, broiler). I typically am a straight Cab guy with my game steaks and heavy roasts. If I am smoking something I tend to use a lot of smoke flavor so a Malbec (usually something from Argentina) is my go to. There's some great, cost-effective Reds out there.
+1. Argentine malbec in the 20ish dollar range is a favorite of ours. Decent cabernet sauvignon works well also. Lots of good stuff out there all over the price range, but I find if I try bottles in the 18 - 21 dollar range, I am rarely disappointed. In the 12 - 15 dollar range, it can go either way. I am no expert and don't research my wine a whole lot. I do know my pallet and what I prefer. It is fun to play around with, and can really compliment the game your preparing!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
2016 Meomi Pinot Noir is a go-to $20 bottle for us. Let it breathe a little and it opens up nicely.

My wife and I usually hit Napa every other year and end up with several cases. She likes a lighter red so we stock upon Pinot Noir and Sauvignon Blanc for summer time evenings grilling by the pool. Twomey is probably our favorite winery, although we just discovered Auteur who is a very small label and makes some splendid Pinot Noir. (I save the good cabs for wintertime where I can have a glass every night).

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Shannon Ridge Buck Shack series of wines. The grapes are grown in Lake County, which is just north of Napa. I farm grapes in both counties, and the quality of wine produced in Lake is very high, especially for the cost.

The Buck Shack wines are aged in emptied bourbon barrels, which may suit your palette. Shannon Ridge Winery is widely distributed across the US, so it's likely accessible to you!

https://www.shannonridge.com/collection/buck-shack (for the record, I'm not affiliated)