Winter Kill in Idaho

We just got hit with a snow storm today and made me think about how the Mule Deer are holding up. Has anyone heard anything about winter kill yet?

So far the deer look good in my area, but the numbers are low. Soooooooo . . . We have a low number of healthy deer .

We just got hit with a snow storm today and made me think about how the Mule Deer are holding up. Has anyone heard anything about winter kill yet?

In the winter ranges that I’ve looked over the current snow is above the deer. I think this will be a good year for winter survival. Probably overall deer fawn numbers in the 65-75% range, with the usual upward and downward local variations.

So far the deer look good in my area, but the numbers are low. Soooooooo . . . We have a low number of healthy deer .
2016-2017 effects I’m guessing? Western Idaho was real hit or miss with it. Some areas have strong deer numbers, others not so much. I saw lots of deer on one prominent winter render last year when I looked fairly hard.

16-17 winter was hell on the deer in my home grounds, 31 and 32 . The survivors are looking good this year but the numbers are predictably low. It'll only take 37 good winters and better management to recover.

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider

sneaky

"DADDY"
Deer are looking good on the winter range around me. Have found very few winter kill deer or elk, most seem to be from predators.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I feel like the deer did really well in the SE. Winter started early, but a lot of warm ups, rain, kept winter range accessible. It also helps when there is little to no competition. I’d say 25% of the deer remain from pre 16/17 winter