Winter pad that’s not an inflatable?

zacattack

WKR
I hate sleeping on air mattresses/pads. Are there any closed cell foam pads with a high enough R value for winter camping or do they get too bulky? Question 2; are the open cell self inflating pads any good? I see some of these have higher r values

I can sleep on pretty much anything so comfort isn’t much of an issue. Most of the time camping I just sleep on the ground.

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
I've folded a full length ridge rest in half and put an empty backpack under my feet and camped on glaciers comfortably for years. I'll admit that I've grown fond of an air mattress these days but it sure is nice not to have to worry about your pad blowing out in the backcountry with the foam.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Until you get into the really thick, bulky self inflating pads you're not going to find high R values. The air mattresses definitely have them beat in R value per equivalent weights. There are a couple of self inflating pads on this chart with higher R values, but at almost double the weight and pack volume of their inflatable counterparts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Therma Rest Z-Lite :

I like the closed cell foam pads. For me they add a nice amount of insulation and comfort from the hard ground. I don't like sleeping on the inflatable pads or air pads. Like you they just don't work out so good for me.

It's so light that most of the time it's secured to the bottom of my hunting pack. When the ground is wet or snowy it sure helps keep you warm and dry to glass from or just to take a break and have something to eat or what have you. If your caught out in the dark and have to spend the night it sure makes it suck a lot less!

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
I've used this in mid 30 - 40* weather with good luck when car camping, and it's only $25 on sale. R-value 5.3

OP
Z

zacattack

WKR
I've used this in mid 30 - 40* weather with good luck when car camping, and it's only $25 on sale. R-value 5.3

damn, might give that one a try, my feet might hang off of it but I could live with that

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm waiting to see when Klymit gets their pads tested for R value with the industry standard test. They're literally the only manufacturer that hasn't had theirs done yet. I'm gonna bet it'll be like a lot of the other manufacturers pads in that some will score better, and a some will be exposed for inflated R values.

OP
Z

zacattack

WKR
Interesting. Didn’t know they haven’t participated in the new R value rating system

damn, might give that one a try, my feet might hang off of it but I could live with that

That's a FOUR pound pad.

Maybe buy a Z Lite shorty (51") and put it on top of a wide Xtherm or Xlite inflatable. You get the feel of foam with enough R-rating for basically any conditions. Could put a couple short strips of velcro on there to keep it from coming off. Don't think your feet care if it's foam or air, but your upper body can enjoy the feel of foam for less than 2 pounds total weight. And you would also have a backup pad that could save you from a truly miserable night if the inflatable goes flat.

Z Lite shorty is 10 oz. Xlite regular is 12 oz, wide (which might work better) is only 15 oz. Xtherm is 15 and 20 oz for regular and wide/long, respectively.

sneaky

"DADDY"
That's a FOUR pound pad.

Maybe buy a Z Lite shorty (51") and put it on top of a wide Xtherm or Xlite inflatable. You get the feel of foam with enough R-rating for basically any conditions. Could put a couple short strips of velcro on there to keep it from coming off. Don't think your feet care if it's foam or air, but your upper body can enjoy the feel of foam for less than 2 pounds total weight. And you would also have a backup pad that could save you from a truly miserable night if the inflatable goes flat.

Z Lite shorty is 10 oz. Xlite regular is 12 oz, wide (which might work better) is only 15 oz. Xtherm is 15 and 20 oz for regular and wide/long, respectively.
You should really put the foam pad UNDER your inflatable. Gives you the R value boost and protects the bottom of your pad from punctures. That's the best use of the foam pad, warmth and protection from sharps.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Interesting. Didn’t know they haven’t participated in the new R value rating system
Yeah, if you check out the link I posted above they are the ones with zero information from the new standard

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ve use a ridgrest on snow and it was fine IMO. You could double with a partial torso

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Z

zacattack

WKR
Damn. I knew my options were limited but this is bleak. I’ll wait to see if klymit gets on board with the new system and then maybe I’ll breakdown and just use an air pad.

You should really put the foam pad UNDER your inflatable. Gives you the R value boost and protects the bottom of your pad from punctures. That's the best use of the foam pad, warmth and protection from sharps.

The OP HATES inflatables. I am suggesting he put the foam pad on top to get the R-value he needs without much extra weight and hopefully the feel of foam that he desires.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The OP HATES inflatables. I am suggesting he put the foam pad on top to get the R-value he needs without much extra weight and hopefully the feel of foam that he desires.
From trying it myself before, that doesn't work. Still doesn't give you the feel of a true self inflating or all foam pad. I'll take the added benefit of puncture resistance and put it under the air pad where it serves multiple purposes. When Thermarest came out with their ProLite Apex pad I was pretty excited because it's a nice pad, comfortable, checked a lot of boxes. Except it went down in R value to 3.8 with the new standard. A light, high R value, compact packable foam pad doesn't exist.

From trying it myself before, that doesn't work. Still doesn't give you the feel of a true self inflating or all foam pad. I'll take the added benefit of puncture resistance and put it under the air pad where it serves multiple purposes. When Thermarest came out with their ProLite Apex pad I was pretty excited because it's a nice pad, comfortable, checked a lot of boxes. Except it went down in R value to 3.8 with the new standard. A light, high R value, compact packable foam pad doesn't exist.

As with all subjective experience, it depends on the person. I'm hoping this works as a reasonable compromise for the OP. Worth a try. I might even try it next time out, because while I can sleep on inflatables, and it is necessary in the conditions I hunt, I don't really enjoy them. Foam feels so much more natural and comfortable to me.