winter projects

rayporter

WKR
the leather was rotting on my hobbles and bridle so i rebuilt them with biothane.
the headstall and reins were replaced and i hope to not have to worry about rotting ever again. i used beta biothane which has the look of leather and after it gets dirty almost feels like leather.

the hobbles were made of 1.5 inch biothane. a saddle maker in pagosa made the orange ones but i could only find black.
they are a lot lighter than leather but only time will tell if they hold up. so far i like them. they have not rubbed any sores yet.

i have a breeching an Amish man made from biothane that i like and so i bought enough to make another as well as a breast collar.

mntnguide

WKR
Ive had biothane Britchen in some pack saddles...seemed to hold up well and nice a light. . Id be hesistant to use it as hobbles being that I think it would eventually lead to worse sores than properly cured leather, but glad to hear it has been working well so far.

OP
rayporter

rayporter

WKR
still using the side pull. i used it a lot. bio beta is perfect. i like weight in my reins and the beta has just enough. leather has more wt but i get by. my bud ropes and i got him some half in beta for his rein and he likes it light wt. so it works for him.

the breeching and breast collar have worked perfectly

the hobbles have been great. so far i use them more than the leather. i have 2 sets of double layer leather with fleece on one set, my feeling so far is that there is less wear and fewer sores with the bio as it does not hold dirt and grit. it stays clean and is softer than leather after the leather weathers at that point there is not enough neatsfoot oil to fix the leather. and i dip them in a five gallon bucket.

OP
rayporter

rayporter

WKR
a side note
i dislike synthetic girths, but the bio on the breeching and breast collar dont cause sores, it will collect sweat but it comes off easily - it usually cleans it self. so there have been no sores.