Winter Sleep Pad Recommendatio s

Katayaga

FNG
Hey all! I have an old REI sleep pad that finally stopped staying inflated - It was perfect for general car camping use, but definitely won't cut it now for winter backpacking during upcoming late November/early December in PA, so I have to replace it quick.

I'm struggling to find a balance between something lightweight enough to backpack in with, warm enough to handle below freezing temps (in a tent), but also won't completely break the bank. I'd really love to hear what everybody's experiences and preferences are.

What have you tried and hated? What is your current go-to winter setup?

Rodéo

WKR
No recommendation re "won't break the bank" but I use an exped DownMat HL Winter M for winter camping. Very warm and lightweight (just over 1 lb and R-rating of 7+)

OP
Katayaga

Katayaga

FNG
Yeaaaah, that's the one I want in an ideal world. I know people seem to love them.

Rokwiia

WKR
I have several of the Exped mats. DownMat 9 and Synmat 9. When it gets to cold conditions where I don't want to take a chance, I'll spend the extra dollars as a form of insurance.

Clarence

WKR
I like a inflatable with a r value of 4.5 or so, on top of a closed cell thermarest, with a r value of 2 or so. Gives me some insurance, flexibility, and doesn't break the bank. You can get a insulated klymit for about 80 dollars, closed cell for 40 or 50. YMMV

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
Katayaga

Katayaga

FNG
I like a inflatable with a r value of 4.5 or so, on top of a closed cell thermarest, with a r value of 2 or so. Gives me some insurance, flexibility, and doesn't break the bank. You can get a insulated klymit for about 80 dollars, closed cell for 40 or 50. YMMV

Do you find the Klymit V style baffling very comfortable? I've never had the chance to lay down on one but was worried it'd feel like laying on ridges of potatoes. (Of course you can not overinflate and whatnot, but you get what I mean.)

mlgc20

WKR
I use several different pads for different conditions. Big Agnes for comfort. Thermarest for bulk/weight. But, when it comes to cold weather it’s always an Exped Downmat. Downmat 7 is usually enough. Will use my Downmat 9 if it’s going to be crazy cold. I’ve had my Downmat 9 for 12+ years and spent a lot of nights on it. It was expensive. But, ultimately worth it to me.

Clarence

WKR
Do you find the Klymit V style baffling very comfortable? I've never had the chance to lay down on one but was worried it'd feel like laying on ridges of potatoes. (Of course you can not overinflate and whatnot, but you get what I mean.)
I don't mind it. Just have to dial the inflation. I usually grab my nemo tensor field. Don't make it anymore, but I like the thickness. Klymit is pretty solid for the money in my opinion though. My .02

rbljack

WKR
ive been struggling with this decision/purchase as well. I haven't slept on it yet, but the one I am considering is the Exped UL Winter in Long/Wide...Its 2 pounds basically, but for cold conditions...i want it to be warm and comfortable. I had extremely sore hips from my last trip...and wasnt able to sleep real good on my previous pad (Sea to Summit Comfort plus I think). Its not exactly lightweight, but Here are the specs on the Exped UL winter:

Temperature:
-27.4 °F
R-Value (ASTM F3340-18):
R-Value (EMPA):
Thickness:
3.5 in
Length:
77.6 in
Shoulder Width:
25.6 in
Foot Width:
25.6 in
Weight:
30.5 oz
Weight Pump:
2.1 oz
Weight Packsack:
0.6 oz

OP
Katayaga

Katayaga

FNG
Xtherm max are great for winter. Very high r value. And super light

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I ended up buying this. (I was able to use a coupon which was great.) I've slept on these before, so I know the noise isn't the end of the world, and it absolutely kept me comfortable and toasty in the tent through 20-30s lows so far.

OP
Katayaga

Katayaga

FNG
ive been struggling with this decision/purchase as well. I haven't slept on it yet, but the one I am considering is the Exped UL Winter in Long/Wide...Its 2 pounds basically, but for cold conditions...i want it to be warm and comfortable. I had extremely sore hips from my last trip...and wasnt able to sleep real good on my previous pad (Sea to Summit Comfort plus I think). Its not exactly lightweight, but Here are the specs on the Exped UL winter:

Temperature:
-27.4 °F
R-Value (ASTM F3340-18):
R-Value (EMPA):
Thickness:
3.5 in
Length:
77.6 in
Shoulder Width:
25.6 in
Foot Width:
25.6 in
Weight:
30.5 oz
Weight Pump:
2.1 oz
Weight Packsack:
0.6 oz
So, I can't speak to this pad, but it was one of my final contenders as well. I will say though that I ended up getting the Xtherm Max through Campsaver. They'll give you a 20% off coupon immediately if you sign up for text messages, which put the price at a more comparable (and palatable) amount. It doesn't look like they have the UL Winter there, but wanted to offer that coupon to help in your decision making!

rbljack

WKR
So, I can't speak to this pad, but it was one of my final contenders as well. I will say though that I ended up getting the Xtherm Max through Campsaver. They'll give you a 20% off coupon immediately if you sign up for text messages, which put the price at a more comparable (and palatable) amount. It doesn't look like they have the UL Winter there, but wanted to offer that coupon to help in your decision making!
Let us know after a night or two how you like that one....its the other one I have heard was good/ had lots of good reviews. IM a side sleeper, and I cant tell how you how bad I slept on my last few trips....if I was lucky I would get an hour of sleep and then wake up SO damn sore and have to turn over to my other side. cold and tired is NOT a great way to start a morning of hunting on the mountain....LOL

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like OP already made his decision, but the standard practice when I was growing up was to use your summer inflatable pad with a closed cell foam pad. Like someone already said, it gives some extra assurance. If you can deal with carrying a bulky ridge rest on your pack, it’s a very cheap way to extend your sleeping pad system into winter.

Franger

FNG
Backpacked during CO Second Rifle a couple weeks ago, post-storm. First night out got down to 3 degrees F. I have a Big Agnes Anvil Horn 0 and a Klymit Insulated V Lite. The pad has a 4.4 R-value under the old measuring standard (not the new ASTM FF3340). Cold was attacking me from underneath something terrible. Sleeping bag was great.

Some have said that pad would be fine even under the old standard if I’d brought along a cheap closed cell pad to put under it. In my humble opinion, one shouldn’t need to carry two pads if the r-value is high enough. I’ll be replacing the Klymit and can’t recommend it for anything less than 20 degrees F.

OP
Katayaga

Katayaga

FNG
Let us know after a night or two how you like that one....its the other one I have heard was good/ had lots of good reviews. IM a side sleeper, and I cant tell how you how bad I slept on my last few trips....if I was lucky I would get an hour of sleep and then wake up SO damn sore and have to turn over to my other side. cold and tired is NOT a great way to start a morning of hunting on the mountain....LOL
Forgot to give an update here. Camped for 4 nights in the snow/sleet and it was perfectly warm and comfortable. As a side sleeper, I had no issues being comfortable. I will say that I got the regular instead of a wide, which was a little bit of an adjustment for me!

My old crappy sleep mat had a fabric type texture which prevented me/my bag from sliding down over the course of the night, but this one is much more slippery by comparison. Still, I would absolutely ONLY trade this mat at this point for a slightly wider one. Well worth the cost!