Winter storm the next week or so in Idaho

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is a fairly significant winter storm starting tonight in parts of Idaho. Forecast is pretty grim in some regions......5 to 6 feet of snow in some areas. I was kind of hoping that this year would give the animals a break as they surely need it. Guess we'll see what happens when the winter is over.

Randy

matthewmt

WKR
Not much here on the North end of flathead lake, maybe half inch but the roads were really slick.
30db3411753c98a64e537870ade5b994.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
Dumping here now. Just done clearing our place and I’m gonna make provisions to do it again in the morning before work. Snow every day for the next ten with temps at, or below, zero mid week. Winter is late this year, but it looks to be here now.

mt100gr.

WKR
Yep, all signs point to winter now.

Keep throwing up updates, guys. It's interesting to see where the bands of weather hit vs what I see on radar.

mt100gr.

WKR
Sounds like this thing is gonna unload in ID before it makes it to MT. We're slated to get plenty, IMO, but nothing like ID in forecasts that I have seen, at least in the valleys. Mtns are gonna stack some.

coop2424

WKR
I just got in from plowing and currently have got 8” since about 10am this morning. Not looking forward to these next couple of days or week!

Terrapin

WKR
North Idaho is getting hit pretty hard. Just got back from hockey. I’d say we’ve gotten about a foot in the valleys. Plows took the day off. I regretted taking the Toyota Highlander... just about lost momentum in some of the drifts and berms. I guess I should have taken the Tundra, but it doesn’t have heated seats :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDLassie

FNG
You can look at it a million different ways. Heavy snow hard winters very hard on animals.
No snow, drought, heat means large fires and no animals. Major loss of habitat that will never recover in our lifetime.
I'll take the snow and cold over heat and no forests or sagebrush.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Up to 7” in Snake River plain forecasted by Monday. Several feet for the mountains. At least we had a light November n December and so far very little subzero temps. Could go either way at this point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmcd22

WKR
We were supposed to get hit in the Treasure Valley but woke up to nothing. Probably skirted around us which is typical.

johnsd16

WKR
In Hayden ID I cleared about 4-5” of soft fluffy stuff last night and then this morning another 5-6” of wet heavy. Trees were loaded with snow last night but at 6am today mostly melted. It had stopped for a bit but going again now. Supposed to get cold this coming week. I’m sure up high it was significantly more. The deer down low looked good last week since we essentially had no winter so far.

87TT

WKR
This just in

Detect my location

Avalanche - Warning from 1/11/2020 7:51:00 AM to 1/13/2020 7:30:00 AM

Avalanche Warning issued January 11 at 7:51AM MST by NWS BoiseAdams; Idaho; ValleyTHE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS TRANSMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF THEPAYETTE NATIONAL FOREST AVALANCHE CENTER...MCCALL IDAHO....THE PAYETTE NATIONAL FOREST AVALANCHE CENTER IN MCCALL IDAHOHAS ISSUED A BACKCOUNTRY AVALANCHE WARNING...* TIMING...IN EFFECT 730 AM TODAY UNTIL 730 AM MONDAY.* LOCATION...IN THE WEST CENTRAL IDAHO MOUNTAINS.* AVALANCHE DANGER...THE AVALANCHE DANGER SCALE IN THE WESTCENTRAL IDAHO MOUNTAINS...INCLUDING THE PAYETTE NATIONAL FOREST...IS WIDESPREAD AND HAS BEEN ELEVATED TO HIGH THROUGH MONDAY.* REASON...RECENT HEAVY SNOW AND HIGH WINDS HAVE PRODUCEDWIDESPREAD AREAS OF UNSTABLE SNOW...AND AVALANCHES ARE LIKELY ONSTEEP SNOW-COVERED SLOPES AND GULLIES. SOME AVALANCHES MAY BEVERY LARGE.PRECAUTION/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...NATURAL AND HUMAN TRIGGERED AVALANCHES ARE LIKELY. AVOID TRAVELIN AVALANCHE TERRAIN. BACKCOUNTRY SKIERS...SNOWBOARDERS...SNOWMOBILERS AND OTHER USERS SHOULD STAY OFF OF AND OUT FROMUNDERNEATH SLOPES STEEPER THAN ABOUT 30 DEGREES. AVALANCHES MAYRUN LONG DISTANCES AND CAN RUN INTO MATURE FORESTS CHOSECONSERVATIVE TERRAIN AND USE EXTREME CAUTION.AVALANCHE CONDITIONS MAY EXIST...BUT NOT BE REPORTED...INLOCATIONS OUTSIDE THE COVERAGE AREA OF ANY AVALANCHE CENTER.CHECK WWW.AVALANCHE.ORG FOR YOUR CLOSEST AVALANCHE CENTER ANDCHECK WWW.FSAVALANCHE.ORG TO LEARN MORE ABOUT HOW TO IDENTIFYAVALANCHE PROBLEMS. WATCH FOR CHANGING CONDITIONS INCLUDINGRECENT AVALANCHES...HEAVY SNOWFALL OR RAIN...STRONG WIND ORRAPIDLY WARMING TEMPERATURES.