Winter Sunlight

Had a question for those that live in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho area. What is the sunlight like during the winter? I don't mind the cold and even some snow. But the lack of sunlight has the wife concerned a little. She can get the winter blues a little and sunlight helps out a lot with this. We are both pretty active in the outdoors and have been to those areas during the summer and love them.

Thanks

Days are obviously shorter than southern states...winter sunrises/sunsets are unparalleled...mountain towns/ski resorts are known for powdery snow and crisp, bluebird days....towns in valleys are known for inversions, smog, fog and murk...

HRH2K

FNG
Sunlight isn’t too bad, at the darkest it’s dark from about 5:00 pm to 8:00 am, for mid latitude in Montana at least. After the solstice, It changes noticeably fast.

The worst part of winter is the very end of it, in some places they call it spring. Cabin fever, for me at least, seems to be worst in April- May when winter just won’t give up...

The flip side, of course, is 6:00-9:30 sunlight during summer

Wrench

WKR
I'm 70 miles south of Canada. Shortest day of the year its dark at 4:45 and light at 7:30. Longest days....430ish am to 945ish pm.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you like sun shine, be cautious of NW MT and north ID. Fog and inversions are the norm November to March. I grew up there but couldn’t move back because of those conditions and similar issues as your wife. I stay on the prairies now. Colder but more sun. Good luck on your search.

The wind blows hard enough to refract the sunlight I think.

Honestly though it’s pretty sunny most days. The “golden hour” seems to last half the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobr1

WKR
All those areas are terrible. No sunlight ever. I'd recommend California.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

nick15

FNG
Pretty easy to research this for anywhere in America...January 1 in Helena, MT is 8:12 SR and 4:51 SS. In Sacramento, CA it's 7:23 and 4:55. February 1 it's 7:52 and 5:31 in Helena and 7:11 and 5:27 in Sac.