Wire saw

Love to read Patrick Smith's essays/articles and I just re-read his article discussing contents of his possibles pouch. One item was a wire saw- something I know nothing about. Are these still used or available today?

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I loved my NAP zip saw. I think they stopped making it though. It was the best for getting the pelvis Split on white tails.

jmez

WKR
You can get them from veterinary supply companies. Go to KV Vet supply and search OB wire and handles. You can get a whole roll of the wire.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I used to carry one in my survival kit. Honestly the saw on a leatherman can do a lot on a critter - skulls, shank bones and pelvis gates - a decent job on small wood.

OP
T
Amazon says the nap is in stock but I also tried fo find it through KV and mist not be searching the right term- can't find. I would consider the leatherman but I could my ounces! Lol Not saying I shouldn't add one to my gear though.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
Amazon says the nap is in stock but I also tried fo find it through KV and mist not be searching the right term- can't find. I would consider the leatherman but I could my ounces! Lol Not saying I shouldn't add one to my gear though.
I couldn’t find it either

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
Over the years I’ve used several wire saws in my bushcraft kit. They work well on small green wood For making shelters, but don’t hold up on anything that’d be dry enough to burn, would cut bone all day long.

Aries_Ranger

Lil-Rokslider
Good thread. Problem with mist Commercial Wire Saws is/was durability.

I've had both Commerical purchased, and Military NSN Issued, and none really lasted.

I also have a "Pocket Chainsaw" but have never really given it a hard workout.

I think I'm gonna try a vet saw and see how that holds up in a possibles kit.

Deere83

Lil-Rokslider
A cable saw is a real forearm burner. I wouldn’t argue with Mr. Smith but I believe there are better ways to harvest wood. Cutting bone with two hands though they do work

jmez

WKR
I personally have never seen one hold up,
I have bought a couple.
Designed as a single use item. That's why you get a set of handles and full roll of wire from a vet supply store.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
T
Honestly, I'm not really sure what he was cutting--wood seems most logical--but it looks like it could be handy.