Wirehaired Pointing Griffon

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
I think I am sold on this breed.

Two questions. One is this breed prone to separation anxiety? Two how much time on average are you training your dog?

I'm going to properly train my dog, take it hunting/shed hunting/backpacking. My only concern is if they are left alone for periods of time are they going to lose it. Now it won't be often as my wife works from home but sometimes life happens.

Thanks!

Marble

WKR
I have GSPs and people tell me the temperament is similar between GSPs, wirehairs and griffins.

Of the 3 I've had, one would howl if left alone in the truck or, would break out of the yard if left alone.

Keeping them busy and with a buddy helps.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I’ve got a 12 week old WPG on my lap as I type this. He does get separation anxiety but is getting better with training. He had more stamina to cry at night in his crate than any dog I’ve ever had!

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a dog guy, but I've only personally had Labs. Some of my buddies who I hunt with have pointers and they are a different temperament for sure. Two of them are Drahthaars which are probably pretty similar to the Griffon and they are wound up killing machines and I don't know what they'd do without running 10 miles per day. His other one was a German Short hair and that's the 1st dog I've met that I think I could have shot it in the head. That thing was the biggest pain in the ass, wouldn't sit still, or listen and he thought he was in charge of everything and he'd piss or shit on your stuff to prove it. That dog loved to run and hunt though. If you left him in the truck god help you when you came back. If he was in the kennel, the door would be gone and who knows where he would be. We left him in the cab of my friend's truck once with the window down a bit and he broke the window and the door getting out. He was a damn good hunter though.

KurtR

WKR
I think it all starts with crate training right away. Make sure they understand quiet time in the crate is a good thing. If i put my dog in the crate i dont have to latch the door he will just stay in and be quiet and calm till i tell him its ok to come out. He also just goes in it on his own when he wants time to him self. A good breeder will be able to pick a puppy to match what you want as they spend more time with them and you really cant figure any thing out watching for an hour your with them to pick one out. My friend had an Akita that tore every blind off in his whole house and even after that he would not crate the dog so he created his own problem

An interesting question. And I am not certain you can predict this. I have a Draht. Has an amazing Off Switch. And he's the most mentally competent and assured dog I've ever owned. But has terrible separation anxiety.

You can leave him alone in a pickup for days. But I left him uncrated in a hotel when hunting.....major and costly mistake.

He learned to open doors within the house quickly. I've come home many times to him outside the house. He stayed local (Far as I know) and was waiting for me.

I believe this is a training issue, and I would strongly suggest reading and speaking to as many LEGIT dog people as possible and start prepping for it day 1. I know I will with my next Draht.

arock

Lil-Rokslider
I have a GWP and he is fine in his crate (laying in there right now while I'm at my computer). He's slept there at night since I brought him home. To the point where he will put himself to bed when he's ready and go to his crate rather than my room.

He also knows when we are in the house. If we are gone he's fine for a few hours. But he does not kennel especially well - and by kennel I mean staying in a kennel with other dogs and minimal human contact, even if there is interaction with other dogs and he has access to a generous run. If we need him to stay somewhere else, ideally it is a situation where he has people interaction or he gets super anxious, doesn't eat and gets hot spots from nervous grooming.

arock

Lil-Rokslider
An interesting question. And I am not certain you can predict this. I have a Draht. Has an amazing Off Switch. And he's the most mentally competent and assured dog I've ever owned. But has terrible separation anxiety.

You can leave him alone in a pickup for days. But I left him uncrated in a hotel when hunting.....major and costly mistake.

He learned to open doors within the house quickly. I've come home many times to him outside the house. He stayed local (Far as I know) and was waiting for me.

I believe this is a training issue, and I would strongly suggest reading and speaking to as many LEGIT dog people as possible and start prepping for it day 1. I know I will with my next Draht.
Yeah, my little guy would not do well uncrated and unsupervised either.

One of my friends has two GWP's and one has pretty bad while the other has extreme separation anxiety. Her lab doesn't have that issue.

Those bearded dogs just like their people I guess.

Yeah, my little guy would not do well uncrated and unsupervised either.

One of my friends has two GWP's and one has pretty bad while the other has extreme separation anxiety. Her lab doesn't have that issue.

Those bearded dogs just like their people I guess.
They are definitely people-centric. My Slovakian Wirehair is pretty certain that it's the end of the world if he can't see me.

i have had several GWP's.. and they have ranged from absolutely not giving a damn if his people are gone to being a raging lunatic if we were gone. raised the same, trained the same and there is no rhyme or reason to it. My current GWP is a calm and mellow lap dog. I can leave him in the back yard all day and my neighbors say they never even hear him.

....and for the record... there is no other breed I would ever own. great all around hunting dogs... except this one will not retrieve a duck... no idea why he chose ducks as the bird to not want to pick up but he has certainly decided retrieving ducks is not his job. we cannot figure that one out.

WRO

WKR
Why a wpg?

There are better more proven breeds with less show line insertion?

Last edited:
They are definitely people-centric. My Slovakian Wirehair is pretty certain that it's the end of the world if he can't see me.
I read a versatile dog book once that referenced the Cesky Fousk??? often. That similar to yours? Through the context I was led to believe he was attempting to speak to a Duetsch Drahthaar but could be wrong.

But as a Draht owner myself, you either have one or you don't. There's no "kinda".

I read a versatile dog book once that referenced the Cesky Fousk??? often. That similar to yours? Through the context I was led to believe he was attempting to speak to a Duetsch Drahthaar but could be wrong.

But as a Draht owner myself, you either have one or you don't. There's no "kinda".
Cesky Fousek is one of the foundation breeds in the Skovaks. Weimaraner and German Wirehair are the others.

WRO

WKR
Do they have an old man mustache? Cause that's pretty important to my wife.

When I buy another bearded dog, and I will be in a couple years. It will be a well bred GWP. I currently have a smoke creek dog and she was a monster in the field and I get to be around a bunch of Bone point dogs. If I was looking for a legit dual purpose dog, I'd be talking to bonepoint or snake river drahts. I get to run with a trainer a couple time a week with a mix of bird dog breeds. It's given me enough exposure to "cool" breeds" ( WPG's, Vislas, Munsterlanders etc) that I wouldn't own one. Yes there are good ones, but it's not worth the risk imho. You can take a well bred puppy with lots of drive and start shooting over it at 14-16 weeks with very little risk of being gunshy, a lot of these designer dogs just don't have the prey drive to cover their softness much less the prey drive to be monsters in the field. I know there are good ones in all the designer breeds, but how many do you see with podium finishes in NASTRA, AKC trials, Navhda, etc compared to English pointers, GWP's, German Shorthairs, Setter, britts, etc.

Last edited:
Griffs are very mellow and personally attached to their family. I have never had one come unglued with separation. The question is do you have compatible personality. If you have a lab, draht, poodle pointer,gsp type personality I would steer clear. It will be better for the griff. Griffs work for you. The others are largely for themselves and you are just along.