Wirehaired Pointing Griffons

sndmn11

WKR
How does this breed do in cold water, and with toddlers?
We just put down my 12yo labX rescue that I adopted as a puppy, and I have been looking into breeds for the future. I fly fish a lot, especially in the winter, and we have a 7 week old son.

We just put down my 12yo labX rescue that I adopted as a puppy, and I have been looking into breeds for the future. I fly fish a lot, especially in the winter, and we have a 7 week old son.
Mine has done well with my kids. Like any pup they sometimes get a bit too excited around little kids. Mine doesn't seem to mind the cold water. I'm pretty set between my 1 yr old lab and my 4 month old griff. The lab likes more attention, but the Griff has a funny personality.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

jaredgreen

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had labs, GSP, GWP, and now have a Griffon. By far the mellowest, easy to get along with bird dog I’ve ever had. Very close working. The only pointing breed I’ve had that I don’t have to kennel or tie up out camping etc. She never wants to be far from me. The only real down side, the breed can be on the timid side. Can even be fear aggressive if not carefully socialized. Piper is 3 years old, and still pittles when she meets strangers. Overall a great dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
I'm blessed to have both a wirehaired griffon and a drahthaar. Unless you are a serious hunter of upland game, waterfowl and fur, with many days afield doing that, I would not go drahthaar. Mine is a hunt loving machine at 13 months and if he isn't running around my 5 acres, he would be a handful. I love him and he has passed his HZP already. They train easy and are wonderful dogs, but have to be hunted a great deal.

The griffon, he is 9.5 years old and way less wired for hunting. That may be a reflection of this particular litter, or perhaps my less strict training with him 9 years ago. Regardless, he has been a faithful and steady partner. Low shedder, very good with little kids climbing on him, and a favorite family clown. We love him dearly. For what the OP describes, I really think the WPG is the dog for him. They can have separation anxiety and we work from home so that was never an issue. Be best if they can be a part of the family though and if so, they are pretty special dogs.

As far as tracking in CO, they did change the law and a dog on lead can track wounded game. Again for those types of duties, nothing I've seen is going to beat a well trained drahthaar. I feel blessed to have both and would probably go all drahthaar if forced to pick one for hunting. But jogging, hiking with dog on lead, camping, kids, general goofiness, the WPG is great. As of right now, they are both sleeping on the couch with me, waiting for daylight and a run.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

WKR
Wanted to bring this back up to the top. After our move, and my realization that I would commuting three hours a day to and from downtown Denver via the lightrail, I decided to hold off on buying a WPG.

Now that I'm less than 5 months from being able to work from home full time, the search is beginning anew. There are two breeders in CO that I've found so far that have been great to talk with, and I think I've settled on Sunshine Springs Kennels in Hotchkiss, as they have a sire/dam combo that produce several pups that grow into shorter coated WPG's that are great hunters from the clients I've spoken with. I really prefer the shorter coat from a hunting standpoint, for what I expect is a lower likelihood of catching burs and mats.

If anyone else wants to chime in on a breeder they use/trust that's within 8 hours of the Denver metro, I'm all ears.

Snake river griffons. They might be able to meet you. They met me almost half way when bought mine and was living in Seattle. They are in Buhl Idaho.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

yhc

WKR
I have a WPG. If I were to get another I would consider getting a pup from Herenhausen Sporting dogs in Idaho. They have a good breeding program and the breeder is a wealth of knowledge about WPG. They do show their dogs but their dogs perform well in the fields as well.

Regards,

OP
Eagle

Eagle

WKR
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have to admit, that after my wife saw the picture of the small munsterlander posted, we are now also researching that breed. I plan to hunt behind both breeds to get a better feel for them, and hopefully I can catch a NAVHDA trial and watch both breeds as well. Looking at Robingun Kennels in Lincoln, NE for the small munsterlander.

Adkjake

FNG
Here’s a couple pics of my WPG. I got him from backwater griffons in Minnesota. However his mother was a pup from sunshine springs kennels. He’s a great pup only 11 months old and retrieving ducks and geese great. He did well on a recent trip hunting grouse and woodcock. Needs to improve his steadiness but that’s expected from such a young pup. He also had a fairly flat coat for a WPG.

Attachments

• 741FBC48-4253-4DCB-9380-D88C76371FA4.jpeg
    741FBC48-4253-4DCB-9380-D88C76371FA4.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 51
  • 337F193B-86C0-4A08-9305-9C1FCF1C4E7E.jpeg
    337F193B-86C0-4A08-9305-9C1FCF1C4E7E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
OP
Eagle

Eagle

WKR
Here’s a couple pics of my WPG. I got him from backwater griffons in Minnesota. However his mother was a pup from sunshine springs kennels. He’s a great pup only 11 months old and retrieving ducks and geese great. He did well on a recent trip hunting grouse and woodcock. Needs to improve his steadiness but that’s expected from such a young pup. He also had a fairly flat coat for a WPG.
Thanks. Was his dame out of dude and star?

Okhotnik

WKR

Miner does good in cold water waterfowl hunting
1qrjZv9.jpg

OycxhmI.jpg

upland very good

bfMoksv.jpg

Q05LM3r.jpg

LKkpXVS.jpg

chukar, huns

KxZOQsL.jpg

Good around kids, cats( if exposed early age). Very intelligent, curious . As mentioned important to socialize at a young age. Not a breed to be left alone a lot

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
Miner does good in cold water waterfowl hunting

Good around kids, cats( if exposed early age). Very intelligent, curious . As mentioned important to socialize at a young age. Not a breed to be left alone a lot

We ended up getting one, she is a year and a half and a great dog.

Broomd

WKR
We raised our dam and sire in Alaska, great state for them. One of our buyers even named his pup "Fairbanks".....

Attachments

• Fairbanks2_3 2.jpg
    Fairbanks2_3 2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 20