Wireless Game Cameras

cdg097

FNG
@cdg097 - What models of Moultrie cams have you tried? I've been curious about the Moultrie line. Do they have a cheap one that competes with the Micro?

I’m running both their field modem (the MV2), and also the XV-7000i. The field modem allows you to turn regular Moultrie cameras (2015 and newer if I recall correctly) into a cell camera. Been really happy with both of them. The modem cost $99 and has a $20 rebate through 2/1 and the XV-7000i I got for $150 with a $50 rebate through 2/1 as well. Hope this helps!

Rknight

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been really happy with my Covert Blackhawk. Haven’t put out the newest one yet. Just picked up a couple spypoint micros that I’ve heard great things about. The covert has had a really good coverage even in areas where my cell barely works

Johnboy

WKR
Got this dude on two of my Spypoint Micros last night. I hope he survives until next season.

e8e70432b176d4421203adf74d693da9.jpg

79432195222b8a9704ed69209c8c6a6b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Tried a spypoint link evo this season and was super excited to get it going. Tried setting it up in my yard and couldn't get it to work at all. Returned to the store and got another one to try. Set up the spypoint app and it was awesome and user friendly. The 2nd camera seemed to be working OK when we got it in the field (4 bars out of 5) but we hunted by it several times and deer walked right by it and it didn't take a picture. About a month after that it stopped working so we returned it for good (we love Scheel's) Maybe should have given it more time but it just seemed finicky. Spypoint is coming out with a product that transmits photos from any camera with an SD slot. I think I definitely want to try it. It's separate from the camera and what I like about it is if the cell transmitter dies, your camera should still keep on working as normal. I guess we'll see though. Price is supposed to be $70...

Cdroot89

Lil-Rokslider
I totally disagree with easternbowhunter. You can go wrong with SPYPOINT! I bought an evo and it worked great for 3 months. Then it stopped working. I did the update and it still didn’t work. You call customer service and you wait on hold for at least 30-45 minutes. Someone in India answers and tells you to do the trouble shooting steps that they have on their website. The CS is terrible. They finally said they would replace it after two hours on the phone. They said they would send me an email with the information to return it to them. I never got the email. I had to call and wait on hold for them to send the email with the RMA but they closed the case because I didn’t ship it back in time (because I never got their email). I called again and the person on the phone said they will email or call me back because he wasn’t able to figure out what to do to get me a new RMA. They never called me back. Now I have a $200 paper weight. I talked to a local store and they said they don’t think they will carry spypoint any more because so many of their customers have problems. I guess you can’t go wrong with it if you like spending four hours on the phone and having a $200 paper weight :) lol

Johnboy

WKR
Thankfully, I haven't had to deal with Spypoint customer service. Sounds like a nightmare.

I've been impressed with the sensitivity of the sensor on these cameras. I get very few empty photos, and quite a few like this.

a7d2deb866c5f68db9a33699bb88b21b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Cdroot89

Lil-Rokslider
Yea, don’t get me wrong. I loved the camera when it worked. Great quality pictures and was lots of fun to be at work and get photos. I am just really disappointed that it broke so soon and the CS was terrible.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

I loved mine. It did get stolen though. Ouch!

No cell camera works perfectly but for the price point I don' think they can be beat right now. We had good luck with them in the Midwest this year. Moultrie has a new system that is interesting but will need to be tested.

Sled

WKR
Have you had any reliability issues with the Spypoints? I've thought about buying a few but I've read several comments that they'll work fine for 3 or 4 months and then lots of problems.

there is some truth to this. i've had 3 different issues that have put one of my cams down over 2 years. keep them updated, use lithium batteries, down't trust the battery indicator, only use the customer service outside of hunting season and only pay month to month for upgraded plans. you'll have a hell of a time getting CS to actually lower your plan.

they are still a great value and i will continue to use them. i don't place them on trails but rather use salts to bring the animals to me. it's legal here to bait but by the time the season comes the animals aren't reliant on the salts.
i prefer to place cams out of line of sight without using a strap around the tree. face them north in a shaded area that doesn't see a lot of wind or periods of sun on the ground. also avoid too much ground cover if it is a windy area...those all will result in false triggers.

the cams within a half mile of a foot path i'll usually leave a note inside as well as my name/phone number in sharpie. the note says "feel free to view the pics but please leave the cam and sd card in working order when you're done. or you can call the number and i'll share them with you". i've only had one sd card deleted by a shed hunter out of season.

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
Most cell cameras nowadays are pretty good. Spypoint is adjusting the bar a little bit with pricing and service packages. The main issue I'd point out is service related. If you dont have fairly good cell service where you plan to use the cameras they are worthless. I've had to invest in several long rang antennas and get them up pretty high in a few trees to get my cameras to work due to sketchy cell service. Also being able to adjust the settings based on your setup is a learning process. Like if you have your camera on a feeder you might want to have the trigger time delay set a little higher, if you have it on a trail you might want to utilize the burst feature. it's just a continuous learning process.