Wisconsin Bear Hunting

sootrat

FNG
This year will be my sons first year hunting bear. He wants to bait for it. I am giving him my tag due to my lung issues. I also have never hunted for bear either. Does anyone have any good first timer tips? Thanks!

Frier greese is a good one to use. It gets on there paws and they track ot all over the woods so other bears can find it. Just rember no animal biproducts for bait not that the grease is something that falls under that

go_deep

WKR
Lots of different types of food work, so here's the best tip I can give you. Fill the bait right before first light everyday you bait. The bears will get use to the food showing up at the same time and the bears for the most part will come in during shooting light due to them wanting to get the food before another bear does. When you go to hunt have someone go with you, your son and you get in the stand while they bait, then when they leave your all setup and generally the bears got no clue your there.

God bless and Good luck!

midwestwi

FNG
Study bear anatomy, they are a little bit different than deer. Middle of middle and then two inches forward is how it was described to me which is a little further back when compared to a whitetail. It seemed to work. My then 10 year old shot that spot on his first wi bear hunt and it didn’t go 40 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NEWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Best tip - I would get going on trying to find a guide in B immediately. They are pretty reasonably priced and a good one is well worth it. Many of their 1st in line spots are probably getting booked up. We go with guides and do bait and dogs north of antigo. You have a lot of years invested in a B tag.

Baiting is/can be a lot of work especially with health issues and bears can disappear off baits up there in a flash. Also very expensive if you are driving a ways and/or can’t source reasonably priced bait. We gave it a shot as rookies 20 years ago near Goodman park and I could have taken a nice bear but after that experience, we came to the conclusion above on hiring a guide. Got a bigger bear with the guide.

You might try and bait close to 64, as the dog guys generally try and stay away from the boundary and the busy road. That said, if you know what to look for up there you’ll see baits everywhere. The paths in to the baits start to look like highways in August.

Good luck.