Wisconsin Wolf hunt!

OP
J
Finding the hunt results interesting, particularly in Zone 2, where the quota was only 18 wolves, - interestingly 21 wolves were killed on the first day. If you think the numbers are okay, let me tell you what I know.

In my experience hunting that area for deer, it meant regular wolf encounters. Being followed and paralleled on the walking trail, with wolves howling. Being charged by wolves, as close as ten feet away. Having them see me walking in, then crouching down like a cat ready to pounce, unafraid. I watched them stalk animals, including the neighbors dog. I was more likely to see a wolf than a deer in that area.
As the wolf numbers rise, and the prey numbers dwindle, you can't help but wonder how long it will take for those killing machines to change priorities on what they are willing to take down. As those 18 wolves are taken out, there will be likely 100 pups to fill that void this year in that area.

OP
J
The count has gone up to 162 so there is still a chance to hit the quota of 200.
That would be amazing considering it happened in two days of hunting, with a limited number of hunters, with no time for preparation, and almost half the tags went to the Indians - who don't hunt!

Pretty sure we were able to eradicate 200 plus from the state. Factoring in all the SSS tag holders

go_deep

WKR
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the quota was 200 wolves. 100 for the general public, 100 for the tribes, because the wolves were getting killed so fast the general public quota of 100 got blown out of the water.

I have 2 friends in Wisconsin that killed wolves the last 2 days, both were killed with aid of hounds.

On one hand i'm happy that so many folks were successful and it goes to show that the wolf population is not hurting in the slightest. On another, it's not the best look for us that say the state agencies regulate hunting tightly and then have the quota blown out of the water every time they have a hunt.

WCB

WKR
On one hand i'm happy that so many folks were successful and it goes to show that the wolf population is not hurting in the slightest. On another, it's not the best look for us that say the state agencies regulate hunting tightly and then have the quota blown out of the water every time they have a hunt.
They realistically don't set he quota to what the expect to get killed. It is set knowing more will probably get killed. WI plan actually I believe calls for around 400 to be killed.

Anti-hunters and Wolf huggers will never agree to it so even if you set the limit at 10 and killed 9 they would have a problem. If they throw a fit on quotas it can be explained to them 1 million times it is not set to bring them back down to minimum population but is just a bench mark number for the hunt.

smithjd

FNG
How do 4000 hunters (if every tag sold and everyone trapped / hunted) with one weeks notice kill 20% of the population (they estimate around 1000...) of one of the most cagey predators in 48 hours?

IIRC, and it’s been a while since Ive reviewed the deer numbers; but roughly 650,000 hunters only kill roughly 1/10 of the whitetail population (190,000 out of 1.8m? in 9 days) of a yearly tradition.

I’m betting there may be more wolves leftover than their current estimates.