Wiser Precision 3rd leg work with a spotter?

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
Hi there,

I am in the midst of a rabbit hole and came across the wiser precision gear. I am going to pick up the quick stix but I was curious if anyone is using the 3rd leg and the clip for there spotter. I am not sure if this setup will take the weight or a tripod and how stable it is. are you guys running your regular tripods heads on this rig or something smaller and lighter?

Thanks.

OP
R

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have experience with wiser precision gear?

Full disclosure: My good buddy and hunting partner is the owner of Wiser Precision and the designer of the system.

I have been using the full system for almost two years with anything from 10x42 binos up to a 65mm spotter and have been very happy with the stability the full Quick-StiX System offers at a sitting height. I would say if you are running anything bigger than a 65mm spotter this may not be the right platform for you. One thing to keep in mind is due to the design there is a little bit of mechanical slip in the interface between the Quick-Clip and the Quick-StiX. Once in the field though you can get the tips of the trekking poles and the 3rd Leg dug into the ground and a very stable platform to glass from. Hope this helps. I can say this system shaved over a pound out of my normal backpacking hunting kit while still offering the functionality of a tall bipod and a lightweight tripod. Feel free to respond here or PM me if you have any specific questions!

j33

WKR
Anyone use this with the Kowa 553? Considering giving this a go, already got the quick sticks....

I have been running 10x42 binos and a Kowa 554 for the last year using the Quick-StiX System as my tripod. Here are a few pictures of the spotter on the tripod and of my buddy glassing. For this setup I am just using a 25mm ball head and a small arca adapter. This system provides great a very acceptable amount of stability for optics in this weight class especially if you are on a terrain where you can get the legs to the trekking poles slightly dug in. Hope this helps.

DSC09678.jpg
DSC09666.jpg

Anyone use this with the Kowa 553? Considering giving this a go, already got the quick sticks....

Reactions: j33

j33

WKR
I have been running 10x42 binos and a Kowa 554 for the last year using the Quick-StiX System as my tripod. Here are a few pictures of the spotter on the tripod and of my buddy glassing. For this setup I am just using a 25mm ball head and a small arca adapter. This system provides great a very acceptable amount of stability for optics in this weight class especially if you are on a terrain where you can get the legs to the trekking poles slightly dug in. Hope this helps.

View attachment 280586
View attachment 280585
Thanks looks good, looks somewhat easier nicer to glass under for long periods.

What is the weight of that?
3rd leg: 7.1oz
Arca adapater: 5.2oz
25mm ball head: 6 oz???

So total weight is like 18oz? I guess you are saving maybe 10oz from a smaller tripod setup? I'm comparing against the Black Ovis treeline carbon tripod with 9.6oz panhead as that total 30oz (not verified as I don't own it).

When thinking about the weight it is probably best to count the weight of the entire Quick-StiX System. Since you need all these parts to make the tripod. Here is how the weight breaks down.

Quick-StiX: 2.4 oz
Quick-Clip: 3.3 oz
3rd Leg: 7.1 oz
LH-25 - 25mm ball head w/ included arca adapter: 6.1 oz

Total : 18.9 oz

Which saves you 11.1 oz over the 30 oz treeline carbon setup.

Also, I didn't include trekking poles since the whole point of this system is you have those with you already! Another thing to consider is I was also able to ditch my bipod because when the Quick-Clip is used with the Quick-StiX it makes a tall lightweight bipod that attaches to a pic rail. Overall I shaved over a pound out of my pack. Hope this helps!

Reactions: j33
Can you shoot a rifle from this tripod configuration?
I have this system, I believe the intention is to swap the quick clip from the third leg to a pic rail on your rifle to use trekking poles as a bipod.

If your wanting to put an arca-swiss plate on your rifle and lock it in the panhead, I would ask wiser precision directly. I wouldn't think the recoil would be good for an ultralight panhead

M&C2

FNG
Going with the Quick Stix and Quick Clip option. Thanks for all the input!!

Amazing piece of equipment. Easy to use lightweight and stable. I would recommend it to anyone that uses trekking poles. It's a game changer.