Wiser precision tripod head

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
I have been looking for a smaller tripod head to try, I know the outdoorsman works and are easy to use, but seen this tripod head from wiser precision and thought I may try it out. Have any of you seen or used this yet? It is to release in the next week, but I am sure there has been some testing done. Supposedly it will take care of a kowa 77.

I would be curious to see how this handles larger spotting scopes.

Guys on the exo podcast said it’s ok but not great for panning with a big scope. The wiser guys live 5 min from my house and are good people, I do know that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
sportsmans challenge

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved

OP
sportsmans challenge

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
Will do, I have a hunt in the frank in Sept, so planning to run the zeiss victory rf and my kowa 77 and see how it does. Will have a back up head at base camp, but will try this wiser out as soon as it shows up and see how it feels.

I have not tried any other part of their gear, maybe the 3rd leg could be fun to try, but not sure if I will. The shooting stick adapter seems like it can help a lot of people, but really is you have the wrist straps on your polls and you put each loop over the top of the other pole it creates a cradle and all you have to do is cross the legs of the hiking poles. I have don't it a few times even in a shoot in Canada and it worked well.

In the podcast link above they mention around 10:30 in the head and talk about the 77 on it. Sounds like the 55 and lightweight 65's or 66's should do well.

OP
sportsmans challenge

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
Got the tripod head today, hoping to get it out this weekend, will be used atleast all next week.

Attachments

• 20210907_163729.jpg
    20210907_163729.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 20210907_163722.jpg
    20210907_163722.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 118
Guys on the exo podcast said it’s ok but not great for panning with a big scope. The wiser guys live 5 min from my house and are good people, I do know that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m About 15 minutes away from them! I agree, most honest and humble crew. They appreciate feedback and honest reviews to better their products.

genticles

FNG
What was the verdict on this head? Looking to pick up a lightweight option and am open to suggestions….

Thanks,
BG

OP
sportsmans challenge

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
I dont mind it, I did talk to Jeremy about memory in the paning. He said there is a rubber o ring below it in the joint to help seal it and keep things tight. When I was in the frank I would pan a direction and it would want to back up a touch.

genticles

FNG
Thanks for the info. Is the o-ring user serviceable; we’re you able to get it functioning properly?

OP
sportsmans challenge

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
I havent messed with it. It can be done, but from what Jeremy said it is a pain in the ass to get it back together, but could be done or oiled with something that wouldn't deteriorate the rubber.

I just haven't messed with it. I like it, it is small, lite wieght. I have only ran bino's no spotter yet

Just played with it a bit and compared it to the outdoorsman micro head. I would give the nod to the nighthawk in all aspects. With a larger spotter on there, the outdoorsman was very sensitive to the up and down feature with the tensioning handle. You couldn’t just adjust the tension and go, you had to stop and take the time to really get it right or else that spotter would fall, or it was too much resistance. Very fine window where it was happy. I also felt the outdoorsman was a little jerky if you had some tension on the swivels. The nighthawk with more tension never lost its smoothness, just had to apply more pressure to get it going. The timing window off the tension handle for the vertical adjustment was wider and smoother than the outdoorsman. You also don’t need the proprietary base to run the nighthawk. Being a little lighter and more user friendly I’d spend my money on the wiser precision one…which consequently is cheaper.

I did not test it with binos back to back so the comparison may not be as amplified with a lighter optic. It is nice to be able to buy one to use on anything though. I’ll be testing it out on a 95mm swaro soon as well.

This one caught my eye today on S&S Archery. I might have to pick one up for spring bear to see if it passes the test for sheep in August. Any other feedback from folks?

Matt G.

WKR
I would like to know. Love the VA-5 but if I can cut the weight in half with smaller footprint...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
I don't have a ton of experience with panheads, and I've only been using binos on this one, but so far I absolutely love it. To me, for the weight (or less) of a ballhead, the performance is fantastic. Tension is easy, it moves through both planes very smooth, and I haven't had any issues with memory (but I wouldn't expect to with a pair of 24 ounce binos).