WM alpinlite or Badger?

Riplip

WKR
Settled on WM bag and can't decide between Alpinlite or Badger. Anyone tried both?
Leaning toward the badger as it is a rated lower (15 vs 20) but like the weight of Alpinlite.
FYI - backwoods.com has WM bags 25% off right now.

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
I have the alpinlite. Wow 25% off WM is a heck of a deal!!! I would actually rate the bag slightly warmer than 20. I have had it down to 10 with no problems. WM does not over rate the temp ratings on their bags like most other company's do. They tend to stay on the conservative side and I have found my 20 degree bag to be more in the 10-15 range. The construction on these bags is top notch. i have had my bag for over two years now and have not seen any down escaping through the stitching. Don't know if you can request it because of the sale but you can always pay when dealing with WM directly to have the bag filled with even more down for lower temp rating. Just FYI I am not a hot sleeper. Best of luck

Jdog

WKR
I have a Badger with overfill and the Gore exterior...I have slept down to zero and slightly below in it and not got cold. WM bags are LEGIT!

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider
I just checked out backwoods.com. Looks correct. It's pretty unusual to see a discount like that on WM. Archelk summed up my experience. I laid in several Badgers in stores before I bought the Alpinlite. The Badger offers more girth if you are a big guy, want more shoulder space, or plan to put a quilt or another bag in it for winter use.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does the down seep out on the WM bags? That is my biggest pet peeve with down.... Anyone making bags out of the new "waterproof" down? I know KUIU has some in the works, but anyone else?

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
Does the down seep out on the WM bags? That is my biggest pet peeve with down.... Anyone making bags out of the new "waterproof" down? I know KUIU has some in the works, but anyone else?

I have had zero leakage out of my WM bag. The stitching on their bags is impeccable. There are several companies making the more "water resistant" down like sierra designs, Kelty, REI. If you want a down bag that does not leak then look no further than WM. Best of luck with your decision.

Curtis C

WKR
Either one will be an excellent choice. I've never used the Badger but I have had the same experience with the Alpinlite as those posting above.

Dry climate or early season = Alpinlite
Damp climate or mid-late season = Badger

Jay03

WKR
Unless weight is your ONLY concern otherwise get the Badger.... might as well. Assuming your getting a 6' bag its 5 ounce difference for a more durable water resistant bag with a colder temp rating. Cheap insurance for just in case.

You can read about the different materials on WMs website. That's how I made my choice.

n2horns

WKR
I have a Feathered Friends bag at 20*, I also tried the WM Sequioa at 5*, i really liked WM, but got the FF 20* as it was a little lighter and i can always wear a puffy etc to bed.

jmez

WKR
I have the alpinlite. Wow 25% off WM is a heck of a deal!!! I would actually rate the bag slightly warmer than 20. I have had it down to 10 with no problems. WM does not over rate the temp ratings on their bags like most other company's do. They tend to stay on the conservative side and I have found my 20 degree bag to be more in the 10-15 range. The construction on these bags is top notch. i have had my bag for over two years now and have not seen any down escaping through the stitching. Don't know if you can request it because of the sale but you can always pay when dealing with WM directly to have the bag filled with even more down for lower temp rating. Just FYI I am not a hot sleeper. Best of luck

Did you have extra fill put in yours or is the stock bag warmer?

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
Did you have extra fill put in yours or is the stock bag warmer?
I just bought the stock bag. No Overfill. I also have a megalite from WM as well. It's longer and the shoulder width is wider. The Alpinlite was a gift and there is no way in hell I will return it. I have used the megalite almost exclusively just because it is a better fit for me. I am 6'01" and 195 pounds with wider shoulders. The wife uses the alpinlite.

boom

WKR
i got the Alpenlite. just got it actually. i rolled around in it on the floor of the shop for a long time. the bag has a lot of room in it for me. i'm not fat, but i am claustrophobic. i hate having my feet cinched together..HATE IT. i got it for 20% off, no tax...25% off is killer deal!!

i liked how it is a tad lighter. if i freeze my butt, i have the real estate inside to wear a jacket. heck i bet i could wear boots inside my bag. 5 deg difference is very little to me..i like the weight savings, and i like the room.

i was thought both bags are similar sized. both "wide"bags. could be wrong.. you get 1" of extra loft with the badger. i bet it is an awesome bag!!

isnt the Alpenlite a tad cheaper?

the first thing i immediately noticed about the WM bag is the zipper. i never got the fabric stuck in the zipper..i'm sure it can happen, but it hasnt happened yet. my last bag,,the first zip went like this:
shuffled into the bag..zipped it up..!@#$!@$!@#$!%!%..first pull..i buried the loose fabric DEEP into the zipper.

i am so happy you guys are chiming in telling us the Alpenlite is warm. i freeze like a teenage girl..

I just bought a badger MF and am considering returning it to get a Alpinlite with 3oz of overfill. Not sure if I should do that as the badger has more able and breathable shell, but the Alpinelite will pack smaller and weighs a few ounces less.

Legend

WKR
Took my alpinelite to negative 9 last year. Of course I was wearing my down coat and down booties. Slept great!

Yeah for me i want to save the weight but I really like the breathability of the Micro fiber (20d) shell on the Badger versus the extremelite shell (12d). I’m not worried about durability as I take care of my gear, but seems like the MF fabric is better for hunting situations.