WM Alpinlite vs Badger MF

First post for me. New to the forums, I know similar threads are out there but wanted a fresh one

anyone tried both the Alpinlite and the Badger from Western Mountaineering? I’m 5,9 , 175 lbs, bf% around 12%. Looking for a do-it-all bag. I don’t like feeling claustrophobic and both these bags seem to fix that.

Either option I most likely will go through HermitsHut for the overfill.

I live and hunt WA state but plan on doing some
hunts in Idaho/MT in the years to come.

Any thoughts or discussion would be helpful.

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
The big difference is overall weight, fill weight and circumference. Badger has more down. Alpinlite has lighterweight construction. Based on your size I would think the alpinlite would be roomy enough. The Badger will be slightly roomier but that can come at a cost as you have to warm up more air inside the bag. On the other side, if a bag is too tight you will both feel like you're in a cocoon, and it can compress the down against your body, which would lose some of its warmth. If you choose to go with the bigger bag(badger), then you could fill the air space with more layers and get you into even colder temps. If you choose the alpinlite you will save a little weight in the pack. If you get the overfill in the alpinlite you will have similar fill weight to the badger in an overall lighter bag.

Ultimately you'll have to decide what you want, a lightweight or roomier bag.

I would measure your own circumference at the shoulders and then if you can, compare to a sleeping bag's specs you already have or have access to. Then you can get a feel for how much room you really need.

OP
RangerRick
Thanks. Appreciate the speedy response. I think i'll probably go with the Alpinlite. Seems like it will fit me needs for 90% of the time, and if I venture in to some real cold temps, i have appropriate layers I can sleep in. I also plan on getting a high r-value sleep pad. Thanks again.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Currently own both. For reference I'm 6ft1, 192 lbs. The construction on both of them is awesome. However, I use my alpinlite probably 95% of the time. It seems warmer than it's temperature rating. I don't find much difference in the internal space between the two bags. I do notice the difference in my pack as it takes up less space.

Vandy321

WKR
Badger. They'll both fit in the same size small event sack, so why not have the extra 5 deg warmer bag if MT is on the menu. It won't be too hot for Washington, just unzip it and use it as a quilt on really mild nights.

OP
RangerRick
Currently own both. For reference I'm 6ft1, 192 lbs. The construction on both of them is awesome. However, I use my alpinlite probably 95% of the time. It seems warmer than it's temperature rating. I don't find much difference in the internal space between the two bags. I do notice the difference in my pack as it takes up less space.
what sort of temperatures have you slept in with your Alpinlite? And what sort of pad and layering did you do?

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
I've slept in my alpinlite down to -12 to -13 C (have to check what that is Fahrenheit). I've been using an Exped downmat 7, and the only layering I've done in those temperatures was a light merino t-shirt (I am a warm sleeper).

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not much difference. The Badger will breath a bit better and likely feel a bit drier and is a bit more waterproof. Sizing the Badger is a tiny bit bigger. The Alpenlite is about a half lb lighter and will certainly do the job for most. The 5 degree temp difference I would not worry about too much. I thought about replacing my Alpenlite with a Badger (I have a Kodiak for real cold) but decided against it. Instead, I'll just heat up a bottle of water if it is borderline too cold. I did some testing on the heated water, and a Nalgene full of hot water can move the internal temp 40 degrees and give 2 hours or so of it. That is enough for me, if I get borderline too cold.

Material is the biggest difference. See which one best serves your needs. This is from their FAQ:

Extremelite is our lightest fabric, but the least water resistant. Microfiber is far more water resistant and more breathable than Extremelite, just slightly heavier. We consider it a perfect middle ground between weight, durability, water resistance and breathability. Gore WindStopper is the heaviest least breathable fabric however it is multiple times more water resistant than the other two fabrics.

Extremelite is suitable for all 2 season uses and ideal for weight conscious adventurers. The fabric is highly water resistant for the weight and can withstand most condensation summertime users encounter inside tents. Microfiber boasts high versatility due to its increased water resistance and breathability. Cowboy camping? Need something suitable for warm nights and wet nights? Microfiber is ideal. Gore WindStopper is for situations in which you will encounter high moisture or precipitation. These bags are not water proof, but will hold up to any condensation and even light precipitation. Their less breathable shell means they are not ideal for warm nights.

Stats on fabric performance:

Extremelite
Denier: 12
Weight: 0.74 oz/y^2
Hydrostatic head: 1200 mm

Microfiber XP
Denier: 20
Weight: 1.35 oz/y^2
Hydrostatic head: 2000 mm

Gore WindStopper (bags)
Denier: 20
Weight: 1.7 oz/y^2
Hydrostatic head: 12000 mm (yup 3 zero’s)

OP
RangerRick
I've slept in my alpinlite down to -12 to -13 C (have to check what that is Fahrenheit). I've been using an Exped downmat 7, and the only layering I've done in those temperatures was a light merino t-shirt (I am a warm sleeper).
Why do you use the Alpinlite more often then the Badger? Obviously it’s all preference I’m just curious.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Why do you use the Alpinlite more often then the Badger? Obviously it’s all preference I’m just curious.
For me the badger occupies the sort of temperature rating I only occasionally need. For summer scouting/backpacking in the Yukon the alpinlite works great, and I use it up until the end of September. With the badger's rating of -12 C, it's too warm for the summer and early hunting season and it's kind of a shoulder season bag where I can comfortably use it for a couple of weeks in October. After that I usually have to switch to one of my winter bags.

OP
RangerRick
I think after some research, I'll go with the Alpinlite. My wife is a cold sleeper so I can always "justify" a colder bag if she wants to come along. haha!

Thank you everyone for the input/advice/info

I have owned both and got rid of both and am going back to Alpinlite. For most of West (Sierras or Rockies) the Alpinlite is perfect. If you were going to Alaska or Pacific Northwest I would go badger for the extra water resistance.

Now the size will not be noticeable in a 6' length. Alpinlite is 64" in circumference and Badger is 65" so 1" shouldn't be a deal breaker either way. Warmth as Kevin above said shouldn't really matter. Although they are 5 degrees difference I believe the comfort reting is 23 for badger and 25 for Alpinlite so again you will not notice the difference in real world.

TheViking

WKR
Did you go with the regular or long bag? I’m almost identical dimensions as you.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Did you go with the regular or long bag? I’m almost identical dimensions as you.

I went with the long, I sleep stretched out and my feet were pressed against the bottom of the foot box when I tried the regular length. Kinda wish they made a 6 ft 3 bag.

TheViking

WKR
I went with the long, I sleep stretched out and my feet were pressed against the bottom of the foot box when I tried the regular length. Kinda wish they made a 6 ft 3 bag.

Me too.

These aren’t easy to get right now. I found a regular size bag for a good deal, just ordered it. Hopefully it’s not too short…most regular bags are fine for me. Feet are right at the end tho. Better than a ton of empty air space I guess…

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Me too.

These aren’t easy to get right now. I found a regular size bag for a good deal, just ordered it. Hopefully it’s not too short…most regular bags are fine for me. Feet are right at the end tho. Better than a ton of empty air space I guess…
I'm sure you will still love the alpinlite, they are great bags and there should be enough room to sleep on some sort of diagonal to make it work. I was a little worried, I just sent mine back to get repaired. Woke up one morning looking like I raped a goose, found a hole in the draft collar. They got it back to me super quick. Ordered an astralite quilt for summer scouting, so looking forward to when that shows up at my door.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
First post for me. New to the forums, I know similar threads are out there but wanted a fresh one

anyone tried both the Alpinlite and the Badger from Western Mountaineering? I’m 5,9 , 175 lbs, bf% around 12%. Looking for a do-it-all bag. I don’t like feeling claustrophobic and both these bags seem to fix that.

Either option I most likely will go through HermitsHut for the overfill.

I live and hunt WA state but plan on doing some
hunts in Idaho/MT in the years to come.

Any thoughts or discussion would be helpful.
I have both . We at Seek Outside are a dealer as well but waiting on a shipment . Personally I’d never recommend overfill on a WM as they are naturally overfilled due to how they calculate it . Most every other brand , yes overfill .

The differences between alpenlite and badger .. badger is a little bigger more towards the foot box … but it breathes much better due to the microfiber shell