WM Bag - Inadvertent Waterproof Tests

During a recent black bear hunt, and previous scouting trips, in AZ, I inadvertently had the opportunity to test the waterproofness of WM's MegaLite sleeping bag.

First things first. The MegaLite uses the Extreme Lite material for its shell. This is their least waterproof shell material.

While scouting I used a Walmart-special hammock and tarp. In total I spent about 8 days/7 nights with heavy rains; both during the day and night. It handled the high humidity and moisture very well. Outside would feel damp but would dry out as I slept. No issues staying warm even down to the low 50s.

First major test during hunt. During one bad storm the shell of my bag got very wet but the inside of the bag was dry; no impact to loft. Slept in it and the shell dried as I slept. No issues staying warm.

Second major test during the hunt. Had a very nasty storm while away from camp. Rained like a MFer for 2-3 hours with average decibel range from 93-97; yes I did check it as it was loud as hell. About 90 minutes after the storm ended, I got to camp and went to bed. The bag felt heavy so I took a look. There was a large puddle on top of the foot box. "Scooped" that water away and the bag still felt heavy. Opened the bag and saw that the rain soaked through the top half. There was a ton of water in the foot box. Grabbed the bag and literally poured the water out. The bottom of the foot box was damp but the down was still "lofty" and he bottom shell was dry. Slept in it and the foot box was mostly dry by the time I woke up four hours later. It was completely dried out by the time I got back to camp that night.

Considering the sheer volume of rain and total "soak" time, the bag did very well. I am now less concerned about using a down bag in a high-moisture environment especially a WM bag with their Micro Fiber shell material.

To be honest that very impressive. This supports my experience as well. I haven’t found a difference between treated and non-treated in real world.

A shake jar is impressive to see how non-treated down stays floating, but that isn’t real world.