WM Bag Overheating

TNTBR

Lil-Rokslider
2 weeks of research for a second bag and have decided to go with one of the WM bags. Narrowed down to 3 being the Terralite, Badger and Kodiak. I'm 6'3" 225 and active sidesleeper.
Best guess is the primary temps while using the bag would be between 20-50f. That being said my main question is how low can I go in bag ratings and still be comfortable in 50 degree nights?
Leaning hard towards the Terralite but would like to know if anyone has had it down in the teens without stacking heavy layers. I most always wear a set of light thinsulates while in the sack.
Badger I've heard/read is a bit more restrictive compared to the other 2 I mentioned.
Any input would be much appreciated and welcomed. Hoping to place the order in the upcoming week.

*zap*

WKR
You can always leave the bottom zipped up a little bit and use a warmer bag as a quilt. Just stick feet in and quilt up.

sndmn11

WKR
I have a kodiak, I'd be unhappy with anything smaller. You can move a fair amount of down a long the baffles to be over or under you according to temp. That will help, and so will moving both sliders to your rib cage. Lastly, it functions pretty darned well as a footed quilt.

I did snag an astralite quilt this year, and between the two I can cover any temps just inside apocalyptic. I think you'd be wise to start with the kodiak.

Phaseolus

WKR
My Terralite won’t get keep me warm into the teens nut I am a cold sleeper. I open it up in the summer and sleep under it. I like the bag very much but I will be getting a warmer WM for late fall camping.

Jbehredt

WKR
You’d be snug in the badger. I’m 6’2” 190 and have just enough room to toss and turn with bent leg combinations in mine. The terralite will be plenty roomy for your needs but it’s a 25* bag. Maybe get an overfilled terralite to get it closer to the teens. Added the overfill to my wife’s ultralite and it indeed made it a good 5* warmer. We’re identically comfortable on cold nights now.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
What about the WM Alpinlite? It’s similar in dimensions to the Badger and is a 20F full zip. With free overfill at Hermits Hut it would get you into the teens and in warmer weather unzip and use as a quilt.

Vandy321

WKR
I picked up a badger last spring, fits in a size small e-vent stuff sack. Multiple scouting trips this summer, it was fine in a supertarp with no door, did as @*zap* suggested, used it as a quilt in the 50s, and was plenty warm down to the low teens in Nov storm. I sleep cold and was not in the least bit "cold" at 14 deg in a snow storm in a single wall floorless.

I'd recommend the 6'6" version if that is still an option, im 5'10" and not a ton of room to spare at the foot for clothes, fuel, etc in the cold with the 6' bag.

It is roomy for me in the shoulders and hips as an active side sleeper as well, but I'm also about 40lbs smaller than you. In my limited experience with it, I'd recommend it for anything single digits up to the 50s if you can only have one nice bag.

I also have a kifaru woobie I tried to take on a warmer trip, maybe 50s at night, and I would have rather had my WM, never know when the weather will roll in.

That being said, my hunting partner uses a 30 degree WM and was fine in his last year down to 0 deg with a Nalgene full of boiled water at the foot.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ve used the Astralite , Terralite , Alpenlite and Kodiak. The Kodiak on a nice pad is certainly a comfy setup. The Terralite , not sure I’d want to push it much below 30 but it’s great above . The Alpenlite is pretty solid to around 20. The Astralite is good to bear freezing and can be combined with a Terralite to get around the same range as the Kodiak but it won’t breath as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TNTBR

TNTBR

Lil-Rokslider
Much appreciate the input folks. Without question I don't believe 1 bag can cover the full spectrum of possible temp ranges efficiently.
That being said, I would use this bag 95% of the time in temps 25+.
Speaking on the Terralite, what's your thoughts of using a bag liner that adds a few degrees? Would use one anyway just to keep clean and such but my current liner is solely for that purpose and not for adding a warmth buffer to the bag.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I hate bag liners. Bag liners are a crutch for not buying the appropriately rated bag to begin with. Much easier to vent a warm bag, than to add a liner to the wrong bag to act as a crutch. Besides, a good bag is only half the equation. You can get a zero degree bag and be cold at 25 if you sleep on a crappy sleeping pad.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Much appreciate the input folks. Without question I don't believe 1 bag can cover the full spectrum of possible temp ranges efficiently.
That being said, I would use this bag 95% of the time in temps 25+.
Speaking on the Terralite, what's your thoughts of using a bag liner that adds a few degrees? Would use one anyway just to keep clean and such but my current liner is solely for that purpose and not for adding a warmth buffer to the bag.
Not a fan of bag liners. Really is you want to make it modular or add a little temp, why dont you either buy the 40 degree quilt to add when its cold, or buy a Badger or Alpenlite

OP
TNTBR

TNTBR

Lil-Rokslider
Good points...I use an Exped pad that I really like and also a BA insulated pad but not as efficient.

Question for the folks that run a Badger or Kodiak. Does the zipper run all the way down to the foot box or thereabouts? Trying to find photos that accurately shows is proven fruitless.

I went with the two-bag approach. There's overlap in temperatures but it covers almost all of my bases.

For when I know it will be consistently near freezing or lower, I grab my Antelope. If I know it should not get below 30, I bring my MegaLite.

I have only had the MegaLite for a couple of months but have 9 nights in it. Night time temperatures have ranged from the high 20s (X-Therm) to the low 60s. No issues staying warm the on the colder nights.

If warm, unzip and open it up. If cold, zip and cinch everything up.

I do sleep in lightweight merino base layers; not for warmth but to keep the bag cleaner.

Wolf13

FNG
Have a terralite and taken it into the 20s. I'm weird in that I'm cold during the day but a very warm sleeper. Never had an issue with it and like that it's a bit wider than a normal mummy bag. I would say with a base layer I'd be fine taking mine into the mid teens.

Not to throw a wrench into your plans, but have you thought of a quilt? I put one off for years thinking there was no way they could keep me warm, but I kicked myself for not going that direction earlier after I finally purchased one. Got a Katabatic and absolutely love it. Took care of my two complaints with mummy bags: getting too warm and not having room to move. The bonus was being significantly lighter and packing down smaller than any bag. I end up using my terralite as a quilt 99% of the time anyway.