WM Kodiak MF vs Badger MF

I'm going to buy one but can't decide which. This is my first foray into high end down sleeping bags. Use will be Rocky Mountain hunts Sept - Nov. Up to this point, I've used synthetics and have tended to be a cold sleeper so thought I'd go with the Kodiak. But now I'm beginning to think it might be overkill with a quality bag like WM and am thinking the Badger will do and be a better general use bag. The Badger is cheaper too.

I guess I'm concerned the Kodiak will be way too much for early season but worried the Badger won't be enough for later season hunts.

What do you guys think? Help me decide!

ahlgringo

WKR
I have a Kodiak and hunt same areas, same times. Third season Nov can get down to 0 ish. I love my Kodiak, pair it with a decent pad and I have never been cold. I am a cold sleeper as well. I just open it all the way on warm nights.

I find WM bags to be TRUE temp, but not 15-20 degrees below rating like some will claim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thess87

WKR
I debated the same thing and went went the badger from Hermit’s hut with over fill. Even if that doesn’t really help I think it’ll be enough for me. But I’m an archery hunter mainly so late season I’m normally not out there.

I debated the same thing and went went the badger from Hermit’s hut with over fill. Even if that doesn’t really help I think it’ll be enough for me. But I’m an archery hunter mainly so late season I’m normally not out there.

Sorry to hijack but can you comment on the overfill? I don’t have a ton of experience with down bags. So they add more down to a 15 degree bag to make it 8-10 degrees warmer? Is that the way I should think about overfill?

Sorry to hijack but can you comment on the overfill? I don’t have a ton of experience with down bags. So they add more down to a 15 degree bag to make it 8-10 degrees warmer? Is that the way I should think about overfill?

In general, warmth of a down bag is based on the thickness of loft and which fabric is used. Overfill is extra protection against loft reduction from things like down migration, moisture, extra weight on the shell, etc.

Some manufacturers put just enough down to fill baffles with loft under perfect conditions and benefit more from overfill. Some stuff them a little fuller from the start, WM does pretty good here but overstuff buys you a little more forgiveness and probably a few degrees of warmth.

Last edited:
As far as bag rating, I hunt in seasons that can get to zero degrees but don’t pack in camp when a badger wouldn’t be warm enough. That kind of cold makes keeping water liquid a PITA and I’ll settle for a truck camp. If you still pack in camp in the late season, kodiak might make sense.

OP
C

How is the Badger in Sept / early season? Do you think it gets too warm?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I didn’t go that route because I wanted a 15 degree bag. Not a 7-8 degree bag, if I wanted a warmer bag I’d have just chosen one from the beginning.

Thess87

WKR
How is the Badger in Sept / early season? Do you think it gets too warm?
To be 100% I haven’t used it a whole lot yet. That’s why I didn’t go into to much detail. I got it this summer so haven’t been able to really put it to the test.

OP
C
I decided to go with a Badger. I think it will cover the most scenarios I'll likely encounter.

OP
C
Where is the best place you guys have found to buy one of these bags?

I've spent a lot of time over the last couple months looking for deals. What I've learned is that they never really go on sale. The few sales that I did see were for single bags here and there... and I think were bags the retailer was looking to liquidate.

I just bought mine from Hermit's Hut. The owner is a real character, a bit salty, and I found to be a great guy to deal with and is extremely knowledgeable about the bags. He's 85 and runs the store just because he loves doing it. Plus... he has the best prices going that I could find and the bags he stocks come with overfill free of charge, which is a feature I wanted.

Trial153

WKR
I haven't bought a WM bags from Bean but I have bought almost a handful of bow sights from him...he is solid and priced good.