WM Megalite vs Quilts

TheCougar

WKR
I need a three season bag, something good to around 30 degrees with the ability to vent on warm nights. I’m 6’0”, 200# and a muscular athletic build. My zero degree bag has 63” shoulder girth and 58” hip girth, for reference. I’m primarily a back sleeper, sometimes a side sleeper. I’m trying to keep the weight under 1lb 8oz (approx).

if I get a bag, is going to be the Megalite. I’m also looking into quilts, but it seems to be a love/hate thing for guys who try them. I’ve never used anything but a mummy bag. I’ve got a three night CO backpacking trip in mid-July, where I am going to test changes to my gear and get everything set for September. I’m worried that I’m going to hate a quilt or pick one that won’t get me to 30 degrees comfortably. I’d rather be a little too warm than a little too cold. I’ve read several posts with guys having issues with EE quilts (overestimating temp rating, poor fill), but seems like a lot of guys use them anyways. I’m reading through all the old threads and it isn’t helping!

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Why are you comparing a 20deg quilt weight to a 30deg bag weight? My 20deg EE quilt is 22oz, a 30deg quilt would be under 20oz easily. Mine is a long/ wide. And, yes, WM bags are that good and they're made here in the States, not China.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

“I’m 6’0”, 200# and a muscular athletic build”...you sound dreamy...I am 6’3” 250#. Somewhere on the healthier side between dad bod and middle aged crossfit dude.

I like a quilt or a bag opened and laid on top of me until things get to the 30s. Drafts start to bug me once it gets that cold and I want a bag. I wanted a bombproof synthetic bag for warmer weather and bought a EE apex convert thinking it was going to be my summer to freezing bag to rule them all. Meh. It’s heavier and bulkier than I expected. There is also the issue of the measurements being for an unfilled blank so you lose a few inches of width and length for the final product when it is stuffed. I wouldn’t say I am unhappy with it but my choice came down to the EE quilt or a kifaru slick bag And if I was doing it over again I might go slick bag.

for you weight goal you are going to have to go down. If you are used to a mummy then the WM bag might be a better choice than taking a chance on the quilt. Have a look at the terra light. A few more oz but You can unzip it all the way and use it as a quilt. That was the one I was zeroing in on before I decided to go synthetic.

I was cold at 30 degrees in a 0 Degree wide EE quilt. To me, the megalite is a quilt killer. The weight savings any quilt offers below the 24 ounce megalite isn't worth the hassle to me. Others might see it differently.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
“I’m 6’0”, 200# and a muscular athletic build”...you sound dreamy...I am 6’3” 250#. Somewhere on the healthier side between dad bod and middle aged crossfit dude.

I like a quilt or a bag opened and laid on top of me until things get to the 30s. Drafts start to bug me once it gets that cold and I want a bag. I wanted a bombproof synthetic bag for warmer weather and bought a EE apex convert thinking it was going to be my summer to freezing bag to rule them all. Meh. It’s heavier and bulkier than I expected. There is also the issue of the measurements being for an unfilled blank so you lose a few inches of width and length for the final product when it is stuffed. I wouldn’t say I am unhappy with it but my choice came down to the EE quilt or a kifaru slick bag And if I was doing it over again I might go slick bag.

for you weight goal you are going to have to go down. If you are used to a mummy then the WM bag might be a better choice than taking a chance on the quilt. Have a look at the terra light. A few more oz but You can unzip it all the way and use it as a quilt. That was the one I was zeroing in on before I decided to go synthetic.

I like long walks on the beach, and my favorite color is ASAT. Swipe right to be my hunting partner!

I’m 100% going with a down bag. Just don’t want buyers remorse if the bag/quilt isn’t comfortable/warm/versatile enough. Basically one bag to go from 70 degrees to 30 degrees, then switch to my LithiuM.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I was cold at 30 degrees in a 0 Degree wide EE quilt. To me, the megalite is a quilt killer. The weight savings any quilt offers below the 24 ounce megalite isn't worth the hassle to me. Others might see it differently.

Interesting you called it a “quilt killer”. I never articulated it that way, but I suppose that is kinda how I feel. Being completely unfamiliar with quilts, it seems like I sacrifice quite a bit to save a couple of ounces. Maybe that statement is spoken in ignorance? I’d love to hear fro guys who have both or have used both.

mlgc20

WKR
I used a mummy bag for years. And I wished I had switched to a quilt sooner. I'm a big guy. A side sleeper. And I move around a lot. The quilt is just infinitely more comfortable. It does save weight. But, I would carry it even if there was a weight penalty. It's that much more comfortable to me. I have a Ketabatic Palisade. It's a 30 degree quilt with 2 ounces of overstuff. I have used it into the teens before with no problem. The quilt I have is actually more of a hybrid between a quilt and sleeping bag. It has a sewn in foot box. So, the bottom half is a lot like a mummy bag. But, the top half attaches to the pad and is very much a quilt. I have never experienced the draftiness you hear some talk about with quilts. I believe the primary issue is that people don't get quilts that are wide enough. You literally couldn't pay me to go back to a mummy bag.

Interesting you called it a “quilt killer”. I never articulated it that way, but I suppose that is kinda how I feel. Being completely unfamiliar with quilts, it seems like I sacrifice quite a bit to save a couple of ounces. Maybe that statement is spoken in ignorance? I’d love to hear fro guys who have both or have used both.

It's a roomy bag that you could wear puffy gear inside it without compressing the loft and still open it up in warm weather. Id think you'd have to be pretty claustrophobic or big to struggle with comfort in a megalite.

Yeah, I'd take the extra 2-6 ounces with a megalite and avoid all the things that negate a quilt's weight savings:
  1. "make sure you get long and wide (heavier) quilt to prevent drafts"
  2. "you only got cold because you didn't have a large/warmer (heavier) sleeping pad for your quilt"
  3. "you need to practice and learn how to sleep in a quilt to keep out drafts"
  4. "you need to wear a hooded jacket or down hoody so you don't lose heat through your head"

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I looked at the Katabatic Flex quilt, seems pretty legit but the regular wide version only saves 2-3 ounces over the Megalite, depending on fill

I used a mummy bag for years. And I wished I had switched to a quilt sooner. I'm a big guy. A side sleeper. And I move around a lot. The quilt is just infinitely more comfortable. It does save weight. But, I would carry it even if there was a weight penalty. It's that much more comfortable to me. I have a Ketabatic Palisade. It's a 30 degree quilt with 2 ounces of overstuff. I have used it into the teens before with no problem. The quilt I have is actually more of a hybrid between a quilt and sleeping bag. It has a sewn in foot box. So, the bottom half is a lot like a mummy bag. But, the top half attaches to the pad and is very much a quilt. I have never experienced the draftiness you hear some talk about with quilts. I believe the primary issue is that people don't get quilts that are wide enough. You literally couldn't pay me to go back to a mummy bag.

Are you using teh pad attachment system? I know Katabatic has a good attachement system but also seems like it could be a hassle. Curious as i'm on the fence between a katabatic flex 22 or getting a wide mummy.

mlgc20

WKR
Are you using teh pad attachment system? I know Katabatic has a good attachement system but also seems like it could be a hassle. Curious as i'm on the fence between a katabatic flex 22 or getting a wide mummy.
Yes. I do use the Ketabatic attachment system. Their attachment system is the primary reason I picked them over EE. It does take some extra time setting up when you get to camp. It's probably less than 2 minutes to setup though. Then you can get in and out very easy. It's actually quicker and easier than zipping and unzipping a mummy bag. At least once you set it up. I usually just leave one side attached and the other side loose. If it gets cold I will attach the second side. But, if the temp is over freezing, I just have the one side secured.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
Katabatic quilts have exceptional build quality and a nicely designed foot box (Elite Series). For temperatures between 70F and 30F degrees I really prefer a quilt as I’m not inclined to use a hood....just a light fleece beanie.

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you just REALLY want something light, WM FlyLite is only 13oz. Then again, that's only a 3/4 length zipper and 10d material, but it's definitely light. EE changed their fill weights a year and a half or so ago. I guess enough people complained, although I've had mine for 5 years or so and I've never had an issue with mine. I think if people scrutinized bags like they do quilts they'd realize there's really not that much down in their bags they went back to. Best thing to do with a quilt, or a bag too, is get a lightweight bivy. Keeps everything together, clean, bug free, and no drafts. I've never used pad straps with a quilt. I think they're stupid. Do guys strap their blankets down on their beds at home if they're running a fan at night? Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yes. I do use the Ketabatic attachment system. Their attachment system is the primary reason I picked them over EE. It does take some extra time setting up when you get to camp. It's probably less than 2 minutes to setup though. Then you can get in and out very easy. It's actually quicker and easier than zipping and unzipping a mummy bag. At least once you set it up. I usually just leave one side attached and the other side loose. If it gets cold I will attach the second side. But, if the temp is over freezing, I just have the one side secured.

Thanks for the response. I really want to try one but leaning towards a 64" wide at shoulder mummy bag just seems better for one do it all bag.

WG,

do you have a WM Megalite? I was gonna get the Alpinlite , 20 degree bag, but megalite is same size and lighter. Now it has 12 oz of down to the 19oz of the Alpinlite but most of my hunts scouts are July - sept. Seems the 30 degree would work just fine. Can always swear my puffy when pushing the limits.

WG,

do you have a WM Megalite? I was gonna get the Alpinlite , 20 degree bag, but megalite is same size and lighter. Now it has 12 oz of down to the 19oz of the Alpinlite but most of my hunts scouts are July - sept. Seems the 30 degree would work just fine. Can always swear my puffy when pushing the limits.

I dont, hopefully some day i will.. I have an alpinlite and a kodiak. It's hard to pony up for the mega just to cut 8 ounces from the alpinlite in milder conditions and I dont have a mild weather backpack hunt planned until at least 2023.