WM Versalite or WM MF Antelope

I am heavily considering adding a 3rd bag to my arsenal. Either the WM Versalite 10 degree or the MF Antelope 5 degree (both with options of getting overfill to drive the rating down more). I really need a 0-5 degree bag to cover all of basis I feel. That said, the 0 degree bags get kind of bulky to pack and I feel I can obtain the same rating with overfill yet maintain better packability. I currently have a WM Summerlite 32 degree for Spring/Summer/Early Fall trips. I also have a Feathered Freinds Swallow UL 20 degree bag that covers most of my Fall/winter hunt requirements for the areas I typically hunt. However I took my FF to Alaska last year, first of October on my moose/bear hunt where temps dipped down into the low teens. I sleep really cold, especially my feet, and was a little uncomfortable in just a single thermal layer by around 3am. I could have put on extra layers or a puffy and am certain I would have been fine. Looking towards the future hopefully, Alaskan Dall sheep hunt, Mountain Goat, Mountain caribou, I feel having a “backpack sized“ 0-5 degree bag might be a more reliable option.

Western Mountaineering is the only brand I am considering so no need to recommend something different. Both the Versalite and the Antelope have the exact same bag dimensions. I wish it were a little snugger fitting like the Summerlite or FF bag I have as I am only 5’10” & 150lbs. I don’t need the added space but that’s the only options WM has. So, the main differences are the outer material, the 5 degree temp rating/down fill weight difference all of which leads to a small difference in stuff size.

So what says the Rokslide brain trust? Which do you recommend? Once again, the bag will be used for backpacking hunts in a spike tent floored shelter. Packability/weight is something I strongly factor into this so that’s why I am considering the two above. I am leaning towards the MF Antelope currently.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The Versalite to me is a very slim bag, the exact reason I don't own one. Overfill just prevents down shift, it isn't really going to boost a bag's rating as loft determines warmth. More loft, more warmth. It definitely feels more snug than the listed specs indicate.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The dimensions on the two are the same.

I'll admit that I am biased as I have the Antelope. The Antelope will be warmer as well as have better breathability and water resistance in comparison to the Versatile.

Spend the extra $20 and get the Antelope.

OP
Theringworm
The Versalite to me is a very slim bag, the exact reason I don't own one. Overfill just prevents down shift, it isn't really going to boost a bag's rating as loft determines warmth. More loft, more warmth. It definitely feels more snug than the listed specs indicate.

Slim in the sense it has less loft, yes I agree. However the dimensions of the bag are the exact same as the Antelope. While overfill prevents down shift it would have to add some loft, not to the normal fill areas but to the areas where the down shifted away and created a “flat/cold spot”. There would definitely be less “cold spots” because of the overfill. While that may not directly affect the overall temperature rating for the bag I would think it does impact warmth to some degree, no? I am no expert on overfill that I will admit and will accept if I am wrong in my understanding.

Lawnboi

WKR
I wouldn’t call the versalite slim at all. I took mine down to it’s advertised rating and it did okay. Needed a woobie over the top for the single digit nights. If you need a bag to go down to zero, and being you already have a 20 and 30 degree bag I think I’d go right for a zero degree bag. IME the versalite just didn’t cut it below 10-15 degrees alone. I wouldn’t expect overfill you raise the rating that much either.

If it’s really going to be that cold I’ll use my versalite and woobie together again, makes for something I can use around camp or while glassing along with something to supplement the versalite on colder nights.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Overfill does fill in the thin spots, but only the cut of the bag determines the loft. Baffle height determines that. The Versalite is lighter because of the material, but the Antelope will be more durable. I tried out a Versalite when I was bag shopping, but I went with a zero degree Kodiak for late season hunts. That's what I meant about a slimmer cut, I wasn't comparing it to the Antelope. A 10 degree bag isn't a bag I would see using in my quiver now, but at the time I liked the weight spec on the Versalite. I'm not claustrophobic in a bag, but it was tight through the shoulders for me at 6'3" 215. You'll be fine in that regard I bet.

OP
Theringworm
Gotcha, thanks for the personal feedback. Exactly what I was wanting to hear. Lawnboi you brought up my next question. Do I:

1) Go ahead and get the MF Antelope and just pick the bag based on the expected temps for the trip (i have never over heated in a bag as I sleep cold so that doesn’t concern me)

or

2) Just run the FF 20 swallow that I have and add in a 30-50 degree Apex or down Quilt into my pack? I personally don’t think I would ever use the quilt outside of the bag around camp as you do Lawnboi. I guess if the two combined was equal or smaller in size to the Antelope bag then I would definitely entertain that. I want to avoid adding more volume or weight though.

NDhunter1

FNG
I'm a huge fan of the Antelope. Found one for sale on this site. 6'6" fits me pretty well (6'3" 240). Was warm in just my long underwear and a hat down to 10 degrees. I'm a cold sleeper and if it were to get colder I would bring a different tent with a stove.

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
I’m bumping this thread instead of starting a new one. Sorry if I’m highjacking.
I’m torn between these two bags but my basic question is.
Should I go with the versalite for a late season bag if I sleep hot, don’t mind a tight fit, and have a bivy that’s waterproof and 7oz that I’m willing to carry if getting wet is an issue. Or is the antelope an all around better buy?