Wolf goes after bicyclist...

Daniel_M

WKR
Crazy man! We have a local bike trail that has been the scene of a few black bear attacks against runners/cyclists. Bears waitin in the woods and hear big feet stompin, thinking it's a moose.

JoshTX

WKR
That was quite a read...

Here's the part that gave me the willies: "The panicked cyclist had his hopes dashed four separate times as vehicles passed. The wolf would back off and close in again between each rig."

IMHO, it takes quite a s*%tbag to drive by someone on the road who is in clear need of assistance.

OP
HellsCanyon
You know I would imagine that most people driving down the road and seeing this situation unfold would think a biker and his husky were racing down the road... I mean how many people out there would readily assume a wolf would chase a biker down the highway for an extended period of time?

Personally I thought the story a bit comical in light of the biker being unharmed!

Mike7

WKR
I wonder if Rabies is a possibility?

I once had a coyote come right up to me uncharacteristically to within 10 yds and completely unfraid while I was bird hunting many years ago. In retrospect, I should have shot him, but his behavior caught me completely off guard at that time. He half circled me while I had my shotgun on him and then walked off into the brush. I wondered later if he had Rabies...he had that 1000 yd stare in his eye like he wasn't quite all there.

JoshTX

WKR
Makes sense but I still think that it sucks that 4 opportunities for help drove right on by. Either way, it's a freaky story!

You know I would imagine that most people driving down the road and seeing this situation unfold would think a biker and his husky were racing down the road... I mean how many people out there would readily assume a wolf would chase a biker down the highway for an extended period of time?

Personally I thought the story a bit comical in light of the biker being unharmed!

dotman

WKR
Someone should post a link to this story on the wolf delisting legislation page :)

RobD

Banned
I can't believe 4 cars went by without trying to help... they must of thought it was a husky chasing it's owner or just been too scared to intervene...

OR Archer

WKR
If I was the guy on the bike I don't think I would of been able to fit a greased BB up my butt after that lol

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
I am willing to met good money that bear spray works on any mammal. The reason it did not work in the case was because both the bicyiclist and the wolf were moving, nor was the bicylist very close to the wolf. I am willing to bet that a clear hit has never made on the wolf. It says that he would spray towards the wolf and the wolf would back off. There is no clear indication in this story about whether a clear direct hit with the bear spray was made.

I have seen some hardcore military working dogs, and police k9s dropped like little babies with pepper spray.

Wolves and dogs in general have such keen senses of smell and I find it high unprobable that bear spray doesnt work on them, thats why it works so good on bears. In addition to the extreme pain of it entering the eyes and nasal cavity it overwhelmes the senses, which is alot to be said for bears and wolves.