Wolf Hunting

TAH

FNG
Hi,

I am new to the Northern Idaho area and as an avid big game hunter I want to do my part to help the big game populations out by reducing the wolf population. Looking for areas near Coeur d Alene where I would have the best chance to potentially find wolves, especially in the winter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Deadfall

WKR
Find winter range for elk and start calling.

If not overly hunted they respond well to lone howls.

Distressed pup and baying hound sounds work well for wolves that been shot at some.

They travel big areas. I've found that howling works great if given time. Once I find a travel area I call for 1 to 2 hours then shut up and wait. Repeating that every day for about 5 days. Sooner or later the whole pack will be messing around in that area. Peeing and marking, leaving warning for the loner to move on.

Distressed pup and baying hound is mostly for when I have them located and they wont come together.

Of course most folks are only trying to shoot one at a time. I want em all.

As for specific places. Just find the elk. Once that's done look for funnels where a pack can get prey run into narrow areas. Or onto frozen water. Seems they like running prey onto ice.

OP
T

TAH

FNG
Find winter range for elk and start calling.

If not overly hunted they respond well to lone howls.

Distressed pup and baying hound sounds work well for wolves that been shot at some.

They travel big areas. I've found that howling works great if given time. Once I find a travel area I call for 1 to 2 hours then shut up and wait. Repeating that every day for about 5 days. Sooner or later the whole pack will be messing around in that area. Peeing and marking, leaving warning for the loner to move on.

Distressed pup and baying hound is mostly for when I have them located and they wont come together.

Of course most folks are only trying to shoot one at a time. I want em all.

As for specific places. Just find the elk. Once that's done look for funnels where a pack can get prey run into narrow areas. Or onto frozen water. Seems they like running prey onto ice.
Thanks for the info and your time!!

Deadfall

WKR
Just keep in mind collared ones help fish and game fight the other side. I dont know about every state, in montana most of our game folks are just as frustrated except they gotta play the game different then we do

mitchellbk

Lil-Rokslider
Can't remember if IDFG has to maintain a certain amount of breeding pairs or established packs. Either way, the collars help them prove the numbers easier.

But, it also was explained to me that those collars fail and stop sending data and the only way data recovery is possible are by hunters harvesting and returning the collar.

N.ID7803

WKR
Put the miles on running roads, especially in the winter. Dont forget to join The Foundation 4 Wildlife Management, f4wm.org great cause. I got $500 for a wolf I shot during archery season. Good luck keep us posted.

OP
T

TAH

FNG
Just keep in mind collared ones help fish and game fight the other side. I dont know about every state, in montana most of our game folks are just as frustrated except they gotta play the game different then we do
Very true

OP
T

TAH

FNG
Put the miles on running roads, especially in the winter. Dont forget to join The Foundation 4 Wildlife Management, f4wm.org great cause. I got $500 for a wolf I shot during archery season. Good luck keep us posted.
Thanks will do!

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
I realize they are a problem.

However where they are not a problem, and "when" they were not a problem. They are truly awesome animals.

They are perfect at what they do. When you watch them, perform their skills, it is flawless. You can loath what they do, you can hate them for being so skilled, but to actually observe them execute the attack, you can only marvel at the speed and precision. Your left wondering how could they have done that so flawlessly.

The largest pack I ever watched was near a hundred. Was most likely actually two packs temporally together, I'll never know. But near a hundred is a massive very rare encounter. Even fifty years ago, in pristine wilderness, containing uncomprehend oceans of caribou.

I am empathic to the current problem.......just noting, what few have observed. I don't love them, nor do I loath them. I am simply stunned watching them do what they are elite masters of performing.

Elknutty

FNG
Hi,

I am new to the Northern Idaho area and as an avid big game hunter I want to do my part to help the big game populations out by reducing the wolf population. Looking for areas near Coeur d Alene where I would have the best chance to potentially find wolves, especially in the winter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
First off I would become a member of the “Foundation for wildlife management”
It’s a non profit doing their part to help out fellow big game hunters in Idaho manage the wolf populations. It’s a legit group and yes, I’m a member.

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
If you're doing it just to hunt them then that's great, but trapping kills alot more wolves if that's your end goal. I've called them in before but it takes the perfect scenario i think. I think trapping is a better way. patient howling at night can give you an idea where they are, start close to elk and move downwind after you howl or they will circle you and wind ya. trying to cut them off from getting your wind is what i've seen work if guys are calling. Good Luck