Wolf Hunting

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
We are just getting things in line for our fall season. Hopefully everything continues and its a go!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
They are sneaky little suckers.

MT FWP is recommending a trapping season next year to keep the harvest up.

B

bearguide

hope we get to hunt them in wyo this year / last year rebecca seen 12 where we hunt / not good

Heres a couple we got this last season, kinda cheating though as they were from up in Alaska. The day before I was very bummed after missing a huge Black one while drifting threw a set of ripples on the river.
IMG_9330.jpg

I've been out once and got snubbed by backcountry snowmobilers. The trappers and guys running snowmobilers are the ones cleaning up at the moment. I'm going to try to get out this Saturday afternoon and try a different section of the same area. I'm hoping to get some access via snowsnows....and not be overrun by snowmobilers! LOL.

Go get em Luke, wish you luck!!! They are creating Havoc on the Elk in the Clearwater and every else as you know. KILL EM ALL!!!

Probably around 100lbs give or take. The wolfs we have down here in the states are the big ass Canadian timber Wolves. I believe some of which have pushed the scales over 200lbs....

MBurrows

FNG
The wolves in N Idaho are devistating our elk herds and moose. This next year will be the first in Idaho history since there has been a general season that no general OTC cow tags will be issued for the northern units. Just look at what the guys (some being my good friends) have done in the Panhandle of Idaho.
74 Killed! And of those a few weeks ago 28 were in unit 1 alone! That's almost half of what MT killed this year in their season. Changes are coming in seasons and I wouldn't be surprised if next year the Idaho Fish and No Game institue a draw only for north Idaho and other areas. The bad news is that 2 females can have 28 pups in one litter each.
http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/hunt/?getPage=121

Mike7

WKR
Ya, I read somewhere that the recent cow/calf count in Central and Northern Idaho averaged about 1/3 of the 40-50% calf survival target that they shoot/hope for. I know Unit 4 has a lot of wolves. I wonder if those wolf harvest numbers by rifle though for the Panhandle won't be quite so good next year, after a first season of lessons learned by the wolves north of I-90.

NIHunter

FNG
Yes, I hunt zone 4, we heard alot of howling last year but we didn't see any. We hunted almost 30 days and only heard 2 bulls bugle. It was pretty hard to find any elk.