Wolf Managment Poll

What should we do with wolves in the west?

• Kill them all

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Kill most of them

Votes: 59 59.0%
  • Keep things how they are now

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • Let nature run its course

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

T43

Lil-Rokslider
"To the point about rocky mountain elk being introduced into the eastern US. The elk are not being protected as an endangered species or forced down the states throats. Also , much of the cost has been born by private groups to provide increased hunting opportunities which is the exact opposite of the wolf reintroduction."

I agree to a point but if I recall there was some private funding used to bring the wolves here and its a lot easier to get a wolf tag in the west (I buy 2 otc) than an elk tag in the east so where is the protection really?

Take a step back and think about it from another angle. Private groups, the ones that fought for the wolves, have provided increased wolf hunting opportunity. I have more tags to fill now than I had before and although I didn't like the idea of bringing them in I love the thought that groups like DFW have actually increased my hunting opportunity. I guess you could could say every cloud has a grey lining.

Last edited:
The federal gov't has no place dictating management, once the wolves are established. Each state should be free to implement management as they see fit, without exterminating the wolves.

Good luck with that.

The fed oversteps its boundaries at every opportunity.

Funny, the fed programs are largely what eradicated the wolf, and the fed is the cause of the wolf problem today. The old saying is true, government is the CAUSE of most problems.

Hello guys, I am new to Rokslide. Even though I live in Ne now I am originally from Mn and we have always had wolves just not the numbers there are today. I voted for kill mist of them. We need to keep a few so we can stick them in the wolf lovers back yards as they pushed to have them out in every one in the west back yard.

I feel in today's society there is no room for wolves. For every deer, elk, moose and buffalo they kill its taking money out of the economy. Money for a rag for another person to hunt that buys food, gas, lodging etc. The US needs hunting. Its a big business. Yeah sure we can buy a tag for a wolf and money is going into the economy. But what about the 17 elk that wolf ate. I think 17 elk tags is better then 1 wolf tag.

We can eliminate every wolves in the lower 48 which if I had to take a guess is around 10000 wolves. Maybe less. These are all Canadian grey wolves. The same wolves that lives in Canada and Alaska were there are over 60000 wolves that roam. I would say they would be far from extinct.

Mn shut down there 2013 moose season. The moose numbers have dropped below 3000. They are blaming it on everything but wolves. They started a 1.2 million dollar study to find out what's killing the moose. I think we all know what's killing the moose. Its wolves not global warming, ticks etc. 2 months into the study low and behold the only moose deaths have come from stress from being tranquilizered and wolves. Every moose was low on fat content. I say from living in fear from being harrased by wolves so much they didn't fed enuf in the fall.

I hope to learn from you guys about hunting in the mountains.

I voted for them to be removed completely from the lower 48. There isn't room for hunters and wolves in today's world.

cmeier117

WKR
In my home state of Oregon we spend 100's of thousands of dollars to track these things and I believe two wolf packs in NE Oregon have tracking beacons in a couple wolves and they have their own satelite to keep an eye on them. When I went hunting this year we ran into a packer and his son of maybe 14 years old, both on horses. Just earlier in the day they thought they smelled death and went over and saw a gut pile near the trail. Next thing they know they were surrounded by wolves. He thought about a dozen or so and they were pissed. They were able to get away but it really shook him up and wasn't going to bring his son along anymore. They were lucky the horses didn't freak out and flip them off. The problem is the wildlife people know they are a problem!! I have been told by a game warden or someone that works for them multiple times to shoot any wolf or cougar I see and leave it in the bushes. Now if they didn't think it was a problem do you think they would tell me to do something illegal in Oregon????

Also the last 2-3 nights on our trip last year (The only days we never saw or heard any elk) We all heard howling throughout the night and they were close. Makes you sleep with one eye open for sure.

2ski

WKR
We should have a Rokslider hunting trip to Montana and kill as many as we can!!

This. Wouldn't that be a great fun time. It should be done. 1st annual Rokslide wolf hunt! Say winter of 2013-2014 after all the other seasons are over. Every year a new place. Around Missoula in NW MT one year, another year around Bozeman in SW MT, ect. I'm in.

btw i was joking about getting rid of them, but it is true, quite a few of the population of mt goats are not in areas they were historically! IMPORTS! Get rid of them!!!

Get the strawman fallacy out of here. If you want to argue with someone you don't need to throw insults either. I myself have seen typos on this website, and sometimes it may denote lack of education. But you don't need to insult these guys and hit them with the "Merica!" tag. You sound like the pseudo intellectual neo hippies I debate constantly on many of the outdoor subjects. When you insult people's personal character instead of debating their position with facts you have already lost the argument. Step up to the plate with facts and leave the insults and I'll see what you got.

cmeier117

WKR
Other species might not be living in places they were originally in "historically" but when they were re-located and introduced they didn't start killing ever other animal in that area.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
x2 on Coop's

They are likely here to stay and must be managed. The "kill them all" approach brings the other side support and just hurts us. I wish they weren't introduced in the first place and was part of that fight in the mid-90's.