Wolf Managment Poll

What should we do with wolves in the west?

• Kill them all

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Kill most of them

Votes: 59 59.0%
  • Keep things how they are now

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • Let nature run its course

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mtnkid85

WKR
I feel there is room for wolves and hunters in our ecosystems right now but each state needs to be able to manage the population with in there own boundaries. Just like we manage every other game species with in our states.

Montana made some great advances this year towards being allowed to manage our wolf population. I for one am estatic that I can hunt wolves now... Now just if i could put one down while the season is open!

littlebuf

Banned
there's no room for wolves in the lower 48. honestly I wish there was because that would mean we had a surplus of wild spaces and game with plenty of room for this super predator with out devastating affects. now im as nostalgic as the next guy but im also realistic and this is NOT the world we live in. the wolves that are "moving" in are part of a agenda that has nothing to do with recovery of wolves or management of any other game. but keep believing every thing the U.S government tells you about a healthy eco system

bbrown

WKR
They need to be managed like all other species - long ago we ruined the opportunity for nature to run its own course (both good and bad).

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think the way things are now - allowing states to manage as needed, is by far the best option and it's working. A lot of wolves are being taken and the hunting pressure applied to the wolves is limiting their ability to hunt un-interupted. If wolf harvest needs to be ramped up in areas to counteract overpredation, that can be done by extending seasons, adding trapping, and increasing harvest quotas. If the wolves are not doing well, the quotas can also be tightened up. This approach will help smooth out the blance between predator and prey and provides another tremendous hunting opportunity for those who choose to hunt them. They don't all have to be killed off for things to work, but active and careful management through hunting and trapping are paramount to maintaining a blanced ecosystem.

Coop

Last edited:
there's no room for wolves in the lower 48. honestly I wish there was because that would mean we had a surplus of wild spaces and game with plenty of room for this super predator with out devastating affects. now im as nostalgic as the next guy but im also realistic and this is NOT the world we live in. the wolves that are "moving" in are part of a agenda that has nothing to do with recovery of wolves or management of any other game. but keep believing every thing the U.S government tells you about a healthy eco system

This hits it dead on, they should never have been brought down here.

Shrek

WKR
I am of the opinion that there is no room for an apex predator in the lower 48 until the game departments can not GIVE away tags that are good to hunt with 24/7/365. Only then would I consider introduction of another predator. We humans are the apex predator in the lower 48 and I know of no other predator that willingly allows a competitor to exist. Wolves attack bears , bears attack wolves , cougars attack wolves , wolves attack cougars... Humans deferring to other predators and the boom and bust cycle verses our carefully planned management is asinine.

as soon as they accept humans as prey things will work out ;) either by an assault on their population by us or on our population by them, im ok with either...

Shrek

WKR
as soon as they accept humans as prey things will work out ;) either by an assault on their population by us or on our population by them, im ok with either...

It's just a matter of time. As they fill in and run out of prey they will eventually cross that line in the lower 48.

littlebuf

Banned
the let nature take its course option is somewhat ironic. if the U.S.F.W service had done that there would be no wolves in the lower 48. i wonder to who ever voted for that if they think "nature taking its course" involves a cage in the back of a pick up in the middle of Yellowstone?

magpie

Banned
the let nature take its course option is somewhat ironic. if the U.S.F.W service had done that there would be no wolves in the lower 48. i wonder to who ever voted for that if they think "nature taking its course" involves a cage in the back of a pick up in the middle of Yellowstone?

With your thinking there would be no buffalo either. But way back in the day a few people took it upon themselves to see the need to protect them. But oh let me guess, thats different? A lot of people had the same attitude regarding elk deer antelope moose not so long ago that you have towards wolves. Thank god there were rational people around to help protect the wildlife then!

I'm done arguing with you though littlebuf, you argue with a fool and he will beat you with experience. And I can see that not only do you have lots of experience with this but you probably own an ultralight tin hat. Carry on!

littlebuf

Banned
i don't remember arguing with you? and the foolish one usually exposes himself with insults rather legitimate statements. but for the record, yes buffalo and wolves are different, that little lesson was a freebie, your welcome

If it was up to me? I'd say kill them all... but it's not up to me so I will settle for smart management. We can sit here and keyboard quarterback what SHOULD have been done all day long and who done wrong, but that ain't going to get us anywhere. I'm with Darin in that what we are doing now in ID, WY, and MT is about as good as it's going to get with the political hype surrounding wolves. They should be managed as coyotes with no bag limit and a 365 day season. I highly doubt you'll ever see a wolf hunting season in WA or OR even after they have documented their recovery objectives complete. Notice I said documented, they are pretty much recovered as much as they need to be here in WA but WDFW has set such rediculous recovery goals that once they've finally confirmed the population objectives reached, our herds of deer and elk will be so devastated it will take generations to recover...

Mike

TRIPLE

Lil-Rokslider
I'd love to see them ALL gone. Unfortunately mike, littlebuf, and I live in a state that will give wolves more rights than humans. The DFW will not represent tax paying sportsmen over special interest. With that said, I would NEVER turn in a person (even if I didn't like them) whom I caught poaching a wolf.

littlebuf

Banned
I'd love to see them ALL gone. Unfortunately mike, littlebuf, and I live in a state that will give wolves more rights than humans. The DFW will not represent tax paying sportsmen over special interest. With that said, I would NEVER turn in a person (even if I didn't like them) whom I caught poaching a wolf.

im not sure how you poach an invasive species? more hypocrisy, Washington never had Canadian greys. that would be like poaching Russian boars in Texas

jherald

WKR
Proper management is the key words. More often than not though, we all know how wildlife "management" is really applied. It's funny to see that some animals are given more rights than we as people, animals that have no idea about any kind of existence except for hunt, eat, sleep then hunt, eat and sleep again. Left unman aged in an area where they did not originally exist they are, plainly put, an invasive species.

nature does not always allow for the natural order, flux and cycle of species and they have to be manually managed.

wyodan

WKR
Man, this is such a controversial subject. I agree with Darin though. I like wolves, however, too many people are asking for the states to keep far too many wolves. If the population was kept to the original agreed upon numbers, there probably wouldn't be any problems. That being said, I would not support the reintroduction of another predator as the people pushing for this showed their hand with all of the litigation that states & hunters had to fight. The numbers should have never been allowed to grow until populations of other species are being demolished.

Snyd

WKR
How about one more option...

Manage them along with other game management. No special privileges.