Wolf meat?

OP
freebird134
Haha....interesting to see this thread still active. I wish someone that had actually eaten wolf would chime in. I'm still not killing things unless I intend to eat then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lkwoolsey

WKR
bear tacos.jpg

Bear backstrap tacos. Why not try wolf meat? Cook it low and slow, it'd probably taste great. BTW, those bear tacos were some of the things I've ever eaten, no joke!

Bar

Banned
I wouldn't eat wolf anymore than i'd eat coyote. Even a bear feeding on a carcase or fish is not pleasent to eat. Game taste like what it feeds on. Mule deer in this area taste like sage to me.

When you think of what wolves eat. I doubt they taste good.

Dameon

WKR
I ate dog while living in Korea. Add enough spice and you'd be amazed what you can scarf down and ask for seconds. I wouldn't mind cooking up a wolf or coyote, but I would grill it Korean style.

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I ate dog while living in Korea. Add enough spice and you'd be amazed what you can scarf down and ask for seconds. I wouldn't mind cooking up a wolf or coyote, but I would grill it Korean style.

Did you have to smell the dog before you ate it? If someone handed me a taco full of wolf meat I might not care but they smell so bad I couldn't get around it if I killed it and tried to eat it.

Health wise, it would be no different than eating any other predator like bear, mountain lion, etc. In fact pork shares many of the same parasite concerns as predators, and we eat that every day. I have never had wolf, but have had bear, bobcat, and coyote. Would just need to make sure it has been cooked thoroughly. Wouldn't hesitate to try wolf if I ever put one down, although I can't really give you any pointers on how to cook it.

Check out the episode of Meat Eater where Rinella BBQ's a coyote.

You lost me at coyote...

My youngest was five when an Urban coyote was spotted in our back yard and for fun, I mouse squeaked it up to about 2-3 yards from the back window. My wife threatened to strangle me for calling it up to the house. It had such a bad case of mange that it probably had fewer remaining hairs than I have digits. It looked like something out of "I Am Legend"...all grayish purple and scabbed up.

I think that cured any curiosity I might have about coyote meat. And if I mouse squeak, my wife punches me.

OP
freebird134
View attachment 40428

Bear backstrap tacos. Why not try wolf meat? Cook it low and slow, it'd probably taste great. BTW, those bear tacos were some of the things I've ever eaten, no joke!

I've only shot one bear, it was >300#, 13 year old booner. Tough as it gets, but delicious. My wife actually preferred it over any deer I've killed (although we could only eat it ground up!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jspradley

WKR
A mangy urban coyote might not be the best critter to eat but I wouldn't hesitate to toss a nice healthy free range coyote in the crock pot....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jm1607

WKR
A friend of mine got a mountain lion a couple years ago and ate it. He said it tasted rather good and was rather "sweet". I'm very interested now...

I kill cock roaches and ants and snakes and rats and mice but don't eat them...did try a rattla and he was chewey. Nothing wrong with eating or not eating a wolf. David killed the bear and lion before Gilioth and they were not on the list of biblical foods...cud chewing, split hooves.

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Well if I get one trapping this year maybe I will keep some meat and throw it in the smoker (if I get it finished by then), just to give it a try. If I can eat rodents (squirrel), then I guess I can man up and take a bite of this?