Wolf or Coyote?

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
So I've been scouting some public close to my house for whitetail and threw up this cam in a big clear cut. I had seen some wolf tracks about a mile from where this pic was taken so I know they're back there but I'm honestly not sure if it's a wolf or a coyote. I didn't check the pictures until I was home last night so I didn't see the tracks. It has that coyote color to it but I think many of the Wolves in Northern MN have that same color. I don't see enough of either species to know for sure. Anyone have some opinions on what it could be?

pic.JPG

Here's a pic of a young doe for a size comparison.

pic2.JPG

TxxAgg

WKR
Looks too tall for a yote. I've never seen a wolf in the wild, though.

Tenstrike

Lil-Rokslider
I say coyote, I posted a pic of a wolf sometime back, take a look at that it might help you see the difference. The dog in the picture is too short. Wolves can appear very thin in the summer but you can't mistake their height.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I say coyote, I posted a pic of a wolf sometime back, take a look at that it might help you see the difference. The dog in the picture is too short. Wolves can appear very thin in the summer but you can't mistake their height.
The head shape/size and the muzzle are a dead giveaway that this is a wolf in the photo and not a coyote. Also the length length to body size ratio as well. Your picture does zero to help with identifying OPs animal. Nice wolf in your photo though.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Not to mention guys using “height” as their determining factor clearly haven’t seen many wolves or coyotes in person. A coyote can be 24” at the shoulder and an average wolf is 26-28” at the shoulder. If you think you can tell 2” of “height” on a trail cam photo with the animal walking you’re in for a wake up call.

You need to look at the head shape, muzzle, leg length versus body size, and tail if you get it in the photo.

OP
mmcdonough

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider

Lawnboi

WKR
Yep, taken just west of Walker.

Makes sense. Looks close to a coyote but what I said above is a dead giveaway for me. Iv seen quite a few wolves in northern WI, most of them have looked like that, especially some of the younger ones. Had a pack stalk me while turkey hunting a few years ago, mom and a couple pups that looked identical came from the front, on the walk out we had one stalk us up to 25 yards from behind we never saw.

Hopefully we get a season here in the Great Lakes region soon. Iv got a hand full of spots I know I could whack one.

All joking aside be careful out there, game and fish dosnt take kindly to dead wolves, that’s after the media hangs you.

OP
mmcdonough

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
Makes sense. Looks close to a coyote but what I said above is a dead giveaway for me. Iv seen quite a few wolves in northern WI, most of them have looked like that, especially some of the younger ones. Had a pack stalk me while turkey hunting a few years ago, mom and a couple pups that looked identical came from the front, on the walk out we had one stalk us up to 25 yards from behind we never saw.

Hopefully we get a season here in the Great Lakes region soon. Iv got a hand full of spots I know I could whack one.

All joking aside be careful out there, game and fish dosnt take kindly to dead wolves, that’s after the media hangs you.

That would suck, I've been turkey hunting the last couple of years out here but I've only ever ran into coyotes. They've actually helped me locate a bunch of gobblers since they sound off when the coyotes yip lol.

We had a pack move in on us last fall in North Idaho and it wasn't the funnest experience. I slept maybe 20 minutes that night since we were spiked out just above the draw they came in on. Could hear them chasing the elk around all night and blew out our best shot at a bull.

I hope we get a season soon too. It would be awesome to hunt wolves out here like you can in Idaho. I'll definitely tread lightly. I don't want to be lunched on social media. Although, I'm sure I would regardless even if it was legal..