Wolf possibilities while hunting the Haul road for Caribou

palefty45

FNG
going to be doing the Haul road for caribou at the end our August this year w/ rifle. We are going to do the 5 mile hike in. Wondering if I should get a wolf tag? Has anybody ever gotten or seen wolf close to the corridor? OR should I use that same money and get a 7 day fishing permit?
thanks

VernAK

WKR
I consider wolves as one of the most difficult North American trophy to acquire and opportunities are rare so I always have a wolf tag if one is required in that area.

JColony

FNG
You wanna see a wolf???? Don't buy a tag, LOL! I would lean to the wolf tag personally. Shoot, assuming you're non-res, do both, what's an extra $105?? I'm betting you're already in it a pretty penny.

hodgeman

WKR
I've gotten shots at a wolf twice and succeeded once. That's out of more than 600 days caribou hunting so that should give you some idea of the odds.

I've never gotten skunked fishing.

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
I have only hunted Alaska once, but on my first day I had three wolves within 100 yards. Had a tag, but the problem was I had just been bluff charged by a young grizzly who was about 40 yards from me and following me as I retreated. The wolves kept following the grizzly. Wish the circumstances had been different bc a wolf would have been a great trophy.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
it'll be a rare op but be ready. So many hunters sprawled along the road system it'll usually happen on the hike ins near terrain features like hills with rocky outcrops and other vantages wolves prefer. Otherwise it'll be a wide open running wolf sighting. Unless the regs changed recently you wont need to pre purchase a wolf tag, just have it sealed at ADFG on the flipside and buy the tag then.

Here’s one from the Haul Rd, just south of August caribou country. I see them more often than you’d suspect
So no wolves hunting where caribou are haha. Pretty cool bow kill though, I would imagine very few people in the world can claim they’ve done that.

Wrench

WKR
I had one walk by us at work on Romeo pad. 7 years and saw one on the pads.

It can happen. We ended up with one out of six hunts up and around there. Saw another beautiful big guy from the road, but not in bow range and inside the corridor.

mooster

WKR
Seen wolf up there too but no shot opportunity. If I were headed into rifle hunt I’d buy a tag otherwise unless you just want to donate money to AKF&G I’d pass based on low probability of success.

Seen wolf up there too but no shot opportunity. If I were headed into rifle hunt I’d buy a tag otherwise unless you just want to donate money to AKF&G I’d pass based on low probability of success.

With that thinking, most are donating with the caribou tag as well due to low success. That said, one can use their unfilled caribou tag on a wolf and I would absolutely do that if I ever had to choose.