Wolf problem is REAL

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Spent 7 days in Idaho Lolo Zone 10. 4 Marines backpacked in 6.5 miles, covered a lot of ground each day.
Some of the most beautiful country I’ve ever seen. During the entire 7 days, the only animal seen by any of us was wolves. I had a wolf at 45 yards and 6 of his buddies at 170 yards. (No shot-heavy brush)
The amount of wolf sign was staggering and our group had multiple encounters. Zero sign of deer, elk and a handful of bear tracks.

I can’t fathom how at home I have deer, Fox, raccoons etc running around my yard daily and we never saw a single animal. Not even while driving.
I was well aware of the predation issues in lolo, and knew we were in for a tough hunt. What I never imagined was how there are ZERO other animals in the areas we hunted. To be fair on our last day we did find elk sign, and although there was bear sign near, this area had no wolf sign.

Gulfgoose

FNG
Just got back from a week in the Panhandle. EVERYWHERE we went we saw lots and lots of wolf sign. Even in the front country area by my buddies cabin. Had a pack following us one day as well. I can see now why people talk about how big of a problem they are.

Just got back from a week in the Panhandle. EVERYWHERE we went we saw lots and lots of wolf sign. Even in the front country area by my buddies cabin. Had a pack following us one day as well. I can see now why people talk about how big of a problem they are.

How many did you shoot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike7

WKR
Wolves may not thrive when deer, elk, and moose numbers get too low, but they can survive as evidenced by the wandering wolf singles.

About 20 yrs ago my brother had a dog which was 90% wolf. That thing was a mouse/vole killing machine. No cat could compete. It could zero in on mice just under the snow or field grass, and pounce right on them every time.

Also neighborhood and other family member dogs only challenged its dominance once. They were typically quickly put on their back and in their place.

Last edited:
I listened to Justin Webb from Foundation for Wildlife Mgmt (F4WM) on ElkShape podcast and I will be sending them support on payday.

Gobbler36

WKR
If there are wolves there must be deer and elk, they have to eat.

Don't get me wrong I am all for reducing the number of wolves.
This is what I always wonder too, not saying they don’t do a hurting on numbers but I would think that if they ate down the prey species low enough the pack would have to move on and they prey species would rebound and they cycle would ebb and flow. On the record I’m not a biologist so not real sure if this thinking is accurate

NUGGET

WKR
Better luck next year! A lot better areas to hunt. If you would of got a goose egg in Colorado would you blame coyotes or bears?

OP
Team4LongGun

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Better luck next year! A lot better areas to hunt. If you would of got a goose egg in Colorado would you blame coyotes or bears?
I didn’t post to place “blame”. I don’t cry over a hunts failure.
I simply stated the facts of our hunt and what evidence we noted while in the bush. As my post stated-it was out of sheer surprise that such a large area would be void of deer/elk animals and sign, and the correlating abundance of wolves sighted and sign.

dtrkyman

WKR
Possible that the wolves moved in and killed few elk and the elk moved out, but the wolves should have followed the herd.

If you don't mind, shoot me a PM with the general area and I'll go do some calling when I pull my cams out of that unit here in a few weeks.

Was talking with my co workers today who have 1 bull down out of 4 people so far. They've been covering tons of ground and no issues with wolves for them.

Okhotnik

WKR

How many elk have you killed bow hunting in E Oregon And N Idaho hunting in areas with active wolf packs?

Did you have much luck calling them in ?

I listened to Justin Webb from Foundation for Wildlife Mgmt (F4WM) on ElkShape podcast and I will be sending them support on payday.

F4WM is an awesome organization. Thank you for supporting them.