Wolf Reduction Bill

Looks like it's pretty much passed for the most part at this point.

Idaho House on Tuesday approved legislation allowing the state to hire private contractors and expand methods to kill wolves roaming Idaho — a measure that could cut the wolf population by 90%.

Lawmakers voted 58-11 to send the agriculture industry-backed bill to Republican Gov. Brad Little. The fast-tracked bill that allows the use of night-vision equipment to kill wolves as well as hunting from snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles, among other measures, passed the Senate last week

OP
Idaho4x4Bronco
It will be interesting to see how it all turns out and what ends up happening, some of the more foolish people are already having quite a fit about it.

The wolves here are out of control though. I've seen them dead on highways, heard them howling while muley hunting more then I care to say, see them all over the place. They've taken over the Panhandle and many other areas. It's not uncommon to see a dozen wolves a year without looking for them.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Because in the management plan for them there is a clause that says the state of Idaho can't pass any measures that leads to drastic reductions in population. I got that straight from a regional guy at IDFG. He said that will give them the basis for lawsuits to challenge this legislation. Don't look for this to happen anytime soon without a long, costly fight.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
I predict the Governor won’t sign it; too politically volatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because in the management plan for them there is a clause that says the state of Idaho can't pass any measures that leads to drastic reductions in population. I got that straight from a regional guy at IDFG. He said that will give them the basis for lawsuits to challenge this legislation. Don't look for this to happen anytime soon without a long, costly fight.

The means and methods will pass with flying colors.

Court will have to rule of what's a definition of a significant yearly decrease is. Then tag qouta will be set there.

Pretty cut and dry. Means in a method is where the teeth is.

OP
Idaho4x4Bronco

Court will have to rule of what's a definition of a significant yearly decrease is. Then tag qouta will be set there.

We'll see what happens, I'm looking forward to some real changes regarding wolves. About fed up with them and the impact they've had here. It's noticably different.

We'll see what happens, I'm looking forward to some real changes regarding wolves. About fed up with them and the impact they've had here. It's noticably different.
I know, I hunted central Idaho and didn't see one elk calf. we had them destroy a deer we had to back out on and then they came through camp that night. I counted 13 in the pack the next day.

TheTone

WKR
I assume those of you that see tons of wolves are out hunting them then? The season is super liberal as is

I worry this is a road to re-listing, don’t like the legislators setting seasons, and also worry about them shifting money out of F&G to a board they have control over

87TT

WKR
I don't think there will be a problem. The wolves will still be over the 150 limit and probably still more than we would like. They just need to be treated like coyotes which are fine. If Little doesn't veto it, it will become law tomorrow by my count. If He does veto it, I think it will be over ridden. A lot of fearmongering by wolf lovers who don't want any killed and really don't want us to hunt anything.

sneaky

"DADDY"

Courts will have no problem understanding from 1500 to 150. 90% is pretty self explanatory and not a yearly thing. It'll trigger lawsuits which will just end up spending taxpayer funds because the wolf loving groups will use EAJA funds to file these lawsuits because they don't want to spend their own money.

Cervid

FNG
How? For state to loose control they will have to fall below the previously established ESA number.

Basically you are say no state should manage their wildlife only Federal Government should.
That is not what I said at all. I said nothing about what I would like to happen or what should happen, merely that this action in Idaho increases the likelihood that wolves will be re-listed. As I'm sure you know, many of the re-list/de-list decisions have been made by the courts, not by the wildlife biologists. I don't think it's a huge leap to say that the courts could see this as irresponsible - after all, this is coming from the legislature, not the professional wildlife managers - Idaho's fish and game commission is opposed to it.