Wolf scrape

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
37a9e4f4fbb11a1cfce7b4da828671b6.jpg

f18b3fbcb3883e01447d7e97b45e5714.jpg

I came across this while hunting elk on an old abandoned logging road high up along the top of a ridge in NW Montana this last weekend. Best I could figure was that it was a moose that made this scrape since it did not smell like elk pee in the scrape (Not totally sure moose do this anyway, but there was moose sign close by). I sent these pictures to an area biologist and he talked with several other biologists about this and they came to the conclusion that it was a wolf scrape/marking area. Anyone ever seen or heard of wolves doing this? Everyone I’ve talked to said they’ve never seen or heard of this type of thing from a wolf before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen those also, on closed logging roads. I am not sure if they see in it then roll, or roll then pee.

OP
tuffcrk14

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
I have seen those also, on closed logging roads. I am not sure if they see in it then roll, or roll then pee.

There was a long black hair in the bottom of it and the hole was compacted as if whatever did it had rolled in it. Are you in Montana or Idaho where you are seeing these?

Deadfall

WKR
Dogs dig all the time. Ever seen a dog of any form that didn't atleast attempt to dig then roll around? Serves a couple purposes for wolves. One is cooling off. also serves as concealment, lots of times a wolf or coyote will lay flat in tall grass and let you/prey animals go right by. Serves as a communication spot. Every time one comes by the smell and mark. Everyone knows whose around that way.

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
37a9e4f4fbb11a1cfce7b4da828671b6.jpg

f18b3fbcb3883e01447d7e97b45e5714.jpg

I came across this while hunting elk on an old abandoned logging road high up along the top of a ridge in NW Montana this last weekend. Best I could figure was that it was a moose that made this scrape since it did not smell like elk pee in the scrape (Not totally sure moose do this anyway, but there was moose sign close by). I sent these pictures to an area biologist and he talked with several other biologists about this and they came to the conclusion that it was a wolf scrape/marking area. Anyone ever seen or heard of wolves doing this? Everyone I’ve talked to said they’ve never seen or heard of this type of thing from a wolf before.

Very interesting. I ran into this on an old logging road a couple weeks back. I am in Northewrn Idaho. Unit 3.

OP
tuffcrk14

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
I showed a game warden these pictures and he goes, “well you know some people have dropped their pistols in the back country before and that’s quite a find for it to be in that condition.” I said, “Dude, I laid my pistol there for a size reference to that scrape I was just describing to you.” SMH

OP
tuffcrk14

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
Dogs dig all the time. Ever seen a dog of any form that didn't atleast attempt to dig then roll around? Serves a couple purposes for wolves. One is cooling off. also serves as concealment, lots of times a wolf or coyote will lay flat in tall grass and let you/prey animals go right by. Serves as a communication spot. Every time one comes by the smell and mark. Everyone knows whose around that way.

That makes a lot of sense and thank you for the input. I plan on putting a camera over that spot next spring and letting it sit until archery season to see how they interact with it or if they stopped using that scrape. The road I found it on is fairly travelled by other critters too.