Wolf Video

We spotted this young wolf on our fly in moose hunt as it worked it's way over to a cow moose. We watched it harass the cow for about 30 mins. and then he took off. We were unable to get a clear shot at the wolf (300 meters) while it was bothering the moose. The next morning we returned to find the cow dead and the lone wolf feeding on the cow. I was able to make the 300 meter shot and put the wolf down. The batteries went dead before the shot.

[video=youtube;Z2x8SFEB71c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2x8SFEB71c&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I've seen a few different wolves in Idaho and watching them move and trot like that is sure eerie, least to me! Way to go I wondered if he was able to take that cow down by himself, that's impressive if so!

Mike

OP
todd kelly
Our guess was the cow died from stress..... I'm sure he was harassing her all night.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
could have been stress, but watch her movements closely. She seemed to be injured, judging by her gait and neck movements. The wolf may have injured her on a previous attack and she could have bled out slowly. That's how they do it...attack...wait...attack...wait...attack...feed.

larry

Jdog

WKR
could have been stress, but watch her movements closely. She seemed to be injured, judging by her gait and neck movements. The wolf may have injured her on a previous attack and she could have bled out slowly. That's how they do it...attack...wait...attack...wait...attack...feed.

larry
I hate those damn things...dump every one I get a chance to. They are destroying years of good, expensive conservation in WY, ID and other states.

OP
todd kelly

larry

Good eye, I never noticed that before. 5 days after we shot this wolf we watched a pack of 6 wolves put the run on a grizzly sow with two cubs. Vicious animals.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
yeah, man. One year when I was guiding a wilderness trip in the Brooks, we floated around a corner and saw a caribou standing on the edge of the river. A black and a white wolf suddenly leaped from the willows onto the caribou at the same time. One went high for the throat and the other went underneath the 'bou.

Within 3 or 4 seconds, the caribou was swimming the river with its entrails floating behind it. The wolves waited for it to bleed out...then they ran down the shore to swim the river and start feeding on the bull before it was actually dead.

Nature is a cruel and bloody mess in the wilds!

I smoke everyone I can, because they repopulate faster than ungulates, 2-4 pups each year consitently, and they can have babies by the time they are 8 months old.

KMD

Banned
Congrats on getting your wolf!
I f ayone is interested, the book: "Alaska's Wolf Man", the story of Frank Glaser, is a wonderful read!
Lots of unbiased details of how wolves take down their prey, and how difficult they are to hunt & trap.
Kill all you can, my dream is to get a crack at a wolf someday!!!