Wolves.... 2.4 miles from my house in E. WA.

OP
HellsCanyon
Just curious how many wolf kills the rancher has seen to make his no doubt determination?

His son who found the dead cow and is a good friend has hunted Idaho in unit 23 for the last 5 years and has found numerous wolf killed elk. This is the first wolf killed cow they have had on their ranch, and the first one I know of in Chelan County.

WDFW admitted it had been eaten upon but for cause of death they ventured a guess that she got into a fight with another cow and was killed... no joke!

Mike

Ray

WKR
WDFW admitted it had been eaten upon but for cause of death they ventured a guess that she got into a fight with another cow and was killed... no joke!

Mike

Cows do live on some mean streets.....time for a Gary Larson cartoon.....but I got nothing for this one.

I spent a fair amount of my childhood in central Nevada. Raised cows/steers and what not. Got chased by bulls in pastures. All the usual farm kid stuff gives me some insight. Unless the cow in question had horns, all cows do is head butt each other. Any rancher that cares about his cows has them dehorned when young to prevent head butt spearing when they are in stock pins. Also helps keep you and your cutting horse alive when the cows want to go some place other than where you want them to. Having been head butted by a cow they can knock you senseless, but kill another cow? not likely.

OP
HellsCanyon
Cows do live on some mean streets.....time for a Gary Larson cartoon.....but I got nothing for this one.

I spent a fair amount of my childhood in central Nevada. Raised cows/steers and what not. Got chased by bulls in pastures. All the usual farm kid stuff gives me some insight. Unless the cow in question had horns, all cows do is head butt each other. Any rancher that cares about his cows has them dehorned when young to prevent head butt spearing when they are in stock pins. Also helps keep you and your cutting horse alive when the cows want to go some place other than where you want them to. Having been head butted by a cow they can knock you senseless, but kill another cow? not likely.

Yep been my experience as well... They are a relatively small ranch with less than 100 head. Spent a fair amount of time around their herd and haven't seen a set of horns yet. This was a solid producing mother cow and had been pretty much trouble free her whole life. Also seems that when they are out on the range you hardly see any conflicts between cows as opposed to when they are gathered up.

Mike

Mike

Just goes to show you the lengths they will go to by making themselves look like complete idiots in order to hide the truth.

When I was a kid I saw two two thousand pound bulls fight most of the day, the destruction they caused was impressive. But two heifers go at it hard enough for one of them to die, bullshit. They will head butt and kick each other to establish their pecking order, but never an all out war and let's not forget that they are very tough. I saw a heifer run through not one, but two barbed wire fences, do a full and complete flip onto her head, landing on it with her body pinning it to the ground and survived.

MAC2

FNG
Sounds as though you guys are close to solution out west then you can help us in Minnesota .Hopefully soon so we will have some moose and deer able to grave in northern Mn.

OP
HellsCanyon
These wolves really need to have some fear of humans educated in them... They've already shown they aren't scared to be shot at (WDFW encouraged the ranchers to shoot near the wolves to scare them off, they have and showed very little concern for it) and aren't very scared of humans. The female walked up 80 yards away from a snowmobiler a few months back in the entiat and had no fear then. Not a good situation for sure!

Mike

Shrek

WKR
Mike , sadly I think you are wrong. Sooner rather than later would be better.
I need to clarify that I think it is inevitable that a tragedy will occur and if it happens sooner there will be less damage than if if occurs a couple more years down the road. Support for wolves being introduced in other states will vanish if people start dieing in the urban interface . A couple people dead from wolves and the next time they want to introduce some there will be hell to pay from moms thinking of their kids walking home from school.

Last edited:

Jackelope

Lil-Rokslider
ENTIAT — Craig Monette was shocked when he saw what was walking toward him while snowmobiling up the North Fork of Mud Creek Road Monday.

“At first I thought it was a coyote,” said Monette, of Chelan. “Then I realized it was a wolf. It was like seeing a UFO. I had to stop and get my camera out of my backpack. I thought it would take off, but it just kept coming at me.”

The wolf came within about 100 feet of him before running off. Monette shot several digital photos with a Canon SX30 and a telephoto setting. He brought prints to The Wenatchee World and to the local office of the state Department of Fish and Wildlife.

vegas hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up in Ellensburg and hunted the Naneum and Colockum area for years. Sad to think whats going to happen to those herds. If only common sense could prevail over emotion.

OP
HellsCanyon
ENTIAT — Craig Monette was shocked when he saw what was walking toward him while snowmobiling up the North Fork of Mud Creek Road Monday.

“At first I thought it was a coyote,” said Monette, of Chelan. “Then I realized it was a wolf. It was like seeing a UFO. I had to stop and get my camera out of my backpack. I thought it would take off, but it just kept coming at me.”

The wolf came within about 100 feet of him before running off. Monette shot several digital photos with a Canon SX30 and a telephoto setting. He brought prints to The Wenatchee World and to the local office of the state Department of Fish and Wildlife.

Thanks for posting that, it clears up my previous post and gives a bit more detail.

Mike

Rizzy

WKR
Thats pretty bold behavior for a wolf, they better start a hunting season before kids get mauled. That scenario is real similar to how the lions and coyotes in California act right before they become problem.