Wolves again

Okhotnik

WKR

Range riding didn’t work??

This crap is being pushed by an anti hunting group Conservation NW in Washington .

FYI been a lot of livestock killed by wolves this year but state won’t acknowledge it

Ranchers fishing for government subsidies are just a short step above welfare recipients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Everybody loves to hate ranchers.

I think its a case of, "Walk a mile in their shoes"

I have buddies that are ranchers and the stories of what they have to deal with everything from the general public that has no respect for property rights.....to the government...is ridiculous.

You’re right about our food coming from cattle, and agricultural farmers. It’s a necessary thing to support our population. However it does come with costs. I believe farming practices have wiped out habitat for wildlife across our nation. I’m not going to stand behind farmers and ranchers when they complain about elk, deer, and bison destroying their crops or competing with their cattle for grass. Therefore I won’t stand behind them on the wolf issue. Even though the wolf issue benefits us as hunters. I feel like a hypocrite cherry picking issues that I want to align with. I’m also against government spending in general. Many ranchers and farmers have inherited their wealth, so I have a hard time finding sympathy for them.

87TT

WKR
I'm not sure how to respond. He just has no clue period. The ranchers I know are way more concerned about the environment and wildlife than any urban dwelling (deleted). The ranchers life depends on it. Wolves in no way shape or form help wildlife such as elk and deer except helping themselves to the buffet. Half the reason ranchers complain about elk eating their hay is because the wolves pushed them there. Ranchers have a tough life. the only way to make a million dollars ranching is to start out with two million.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
in Montana there is a fund (taxpayer funded) that reimburses legitimate livestock losses from grizzlies, wolves, mtn lions- it averages ~ $200,000 a year

probably more importantly the Livestock Loss Board coordinates efforts w/ our Fish, Wildlife & Parks to help stock producers to bolster preventative measures they can take to reduce losses

K

Kootenay Hunter

Wolves in no way shape or form help wildlife such as elk and deer except helping themselves to the buffet.

Are you sure? Predators have no value in the ecosystem? Should we wipe them out completely then?

To be honest, I was being provocative with my original comment. That is sort of what forums are all about. To provoke intelligent conversation. Not just to be an echo chamber for your a point of view that happens to benefit you.
The view from the back deck of my urban home.

1b17f659018818f7626ee38f625adaa8.jpg

To be honest, I was being provocative with my original comment. That is sort of what forums are all about. To provoke intelligent conversation. Not just to be an echo chamber for your a point of view that happens to benefit you.
The view from the back deck of my urban home.

1b17f659018818f7626ee38f625adaa8.jpg

Life must really sucks when you think making broad blank projections about others station in life is intelligent thought provoking dialogue.

End of the day predator loss reimbursement is no different the Crop/ habitat depredation/ land owner tags.

You either find away to work with landowners that tend to control prime habitat including wintering grounds or they get elected State Ag Sec/commissions to push legislation bills that demand massive wildlife reductions.

People love the thought of lots of animals, until the are writing massive checks, at that point it’s easier and cheaper to just mandate significant wild ungulate herd populations reductions.

Buying tolerance is the most effective way to better and maintain good wildlife populations.
Landowners have a direct ability to influence wildlife populations, positively if they are influenced correctly. Same hold for their tolerance of Apex predators