Wolves back on the endangered species list in the west??

Wrench

WKR
I listened to this a couple weeks ago. It made me sick to think this kind of stuff happens with no repercussions.
The hard part is that these are the ones who influence the hunt. The cougar tagging and monitoring study referred to would help accurately show how many cougars their are and how far they roam....BUT it also show how many cougars there are....which freaks out the bois because they are on an agenda.

I served on a F&W advisory board and witnessed this first hand with wolves.....and it is disgusting. They don't want accurate numbers, they want surplus predators.

I added my $.02. Thankfully, they can’t do anything until summer of next year at the earliest. I don’t see Wolf numbers plummeting from the new Idaho/Montana laws by then (or for a really long time for that matter). I have faith things will be ok.

EDIT: Also, thank you to who posted this so I could get informed and post a public comment.

Not surprised with this garbage.

From the article:
In our meeting with FWS and written presentation, we explained that the state fish and game agencies in Montana and Idaho have the professional expertise and discretion necessary to ensure that wolf populations remain secure and do not become threatened or endangered.

This has historically been a fantastic argument. Unfortunately, Idaho and MT politicians had to go and shoot it all to shit with their legislation superseding FWP/F&G authority or meddling in game management.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Not surprised with this garbage.

From the article:

This has historically been a fantastic argument. Unfortunately, Idaho and MT politicians had to go and shoot it all to shit with their legislation superseding FWP/F&G authority or meddling in game management.
We can play the blame game all day. This fight was coming either way. The fact is Idaho was not killing enough wolves! There were more pups being born in a calendar year than wolves killed in a calendar year according to the IF&G. IMO the percentage of wolves killed in Idaho this year won't increase much.

I just got back from a trip to the Selway. The wolves have moved into the area I have been hunting for the last couple of years. It was a ghost town. But we did manage to kill one. I wish all hunters could see the carnage I have witnessed from these vile land sharks over the last 15 years. Please comment on the link above!C322ABE4-3C2B-4646-A33B-00CD0AB268D1.jpeg

We can play the blame game all day. This fight was coming either way. The fact is Idaho was not killing enough wolves! There were more pups being born in a calendar year than wolves killed in a calendar year according to the IF&G. IMO the percentage of wolves killed in Idaho this year won't increase much.

I just got back from a trip to the Selway. The wolves have moved into the area I have been hunting for the last couple of years. It was a ghost town. But we did manage to kill one. I wish all hunters could see the carnage I have witnessed from these vile land sharks over the last 15 years. Please comment on the link above!View attachment 329111

I am in no way insinuating we didn't have an uphill battle with wolves after the last election even if we played our cards perfectly. I absolutely agree that the changes in ID and MT from the politicians isn't going to amount to much in dead wolves. So in that case they probably should have avoided shitting on one of our strongest arguments for state management with their pandering. Optics are everything and we need to consider them more than just what we want.

I'll be writing in support of keeping them delisted. Our 16 trail cams in N. MN capture more wolves than they do bucks and we don't get the fortune of hunting them..

BBob

WKR
@Ryan Avery You guys need a Wolf section or pin a wolf info thread in the Varmint section. If you did you might get more interest and help up there. As non-res elk tags get harder and harder to get in places it might generate some interest for alternative hunt ideas.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Send me a msg and will be glad to send you the right direction….just be aware north Idaho is extremely difficult to hunt wolves this is one reason it is so over run with them….the jungles simply don’t let you get many good opps at them unless you have a lot of time to dedicate just not a handful of days…..one reason north Idaho numbers have tanked since pre wolves imagine your this little goofy spike you have made it tree well to tree well all winter and 5 of these dudes come floating on the snow your done…..🥲 won’t talk about the back drainage carcasses I find in the bottoms in the spring because I can’t verify cause but have seen enough verified….it got way out of control

Attachments

• AAEDC5B8-8E3E-49E1-8B9A-1B40F3CEFB5C.jpeg
    AAEDC5B8-8E3E-49E1-8B9A-1B40F3CEFB5C.jpeg
    288.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 7F33A896-FC30-42AA-8FBC-5A6E59159664.jpeg
    7F33A896-FC30-42AA-8FBC-5A6E59159664.jpeg
    310.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome to NJ with Black Bears. The biologists said our population doubled since 2018 after our Governor shut down the bear hunt on the grounds of public saftey and some liberal judge supported him.

Then this year there is supposed to be a 5 year plan resubmitted and signed off by the head of the DNR and then the Governor. They didn’t so it wasn’t allowed. The Division of Fish and Wildlife voted and announced we need an emergency season. The issue is the Governor had to sign off and he announced 2 hours later he wouldn’t.

The only good thing is god forbid someone is hurt by a bear it’s squarely on his shoulders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big bears kill small bears. Bear population can fall when close hunting. Big bears are more likely to cause issues for people encountering that bear. NJ has hunted, not hunted, hunted, not hunted...and bear management is being decided by everyone but the biologists.

Big bears kill small bears. Bear population can fall when close hunting. Big bears are more likely to cause issues for people encountering that bear. NJ has hunted, not hunted, hunted, not hunted...and bear management is being decided by everyone but the biologists.
We have the biggest bears in the country as evidenced by the archery world record being taken last year. Every year we have several over 700 pounds weighed in and some years over 800Lbs. Also we have bears with up to 6 cubs while most places are 2-3.

We have the densest populations of bears in the state that also has the densest population of people so I ask what could go wrong?! Wildlife management by emotions and politics is not the answer and unfortunately the governor who says "we follow the science" is a lying.

rdp123

Lil-Rokslider
Waiting to see what the wolf harvest in Idaho and Montana look like this year. I realize some might disagree, but I feel pretty certain that it's unlikely any action is coming from USFWS in the absence of a massive wolf kill in either state, and I don't see that happening. Wildlife authorities in both states tried to made it as easy as they could to kill as many wolves as anyone wants, without checking population growth. The legislative action speaks to the demand of constituents, but it remains to be seen whether any of the new laws amount to effective wildlife management. If they don't, I have a hard time seeing ESA protection invoked.

Nfish

FNG
When I clicked to read the petition to re-list I had a feeling that the Center for Biological Diversity was behind it. Those folks are bad news, and know exactly what they’re doing.

They went and neutered California’s largest commercial fishery (dungeness crab) with a single lawsuit. All on bullshit ESA pretenses.

The_Yetti

Lil-Rokslider
Added my comment, tried to make sure it was a rational and articulate, now my head hurts!!!

Ucsdryder

WKR
So does this mean Colorado won’t get wolves introduced because it’s out of the states hands and the feds have already said Colorado isn’t a suitable state for reintroduction.

BuckSmasher

Lil-Rokslider
I am in no way insinuating we didn't have an uphill battle with wolves after the last election even if we played our cards perfectly. I absolutely agree that the changes in ID and MT from the politicians isn't going to amount to much in dead wolves. So in that case they probably should have avoided shitting on one of our strongest arguments for state management with their pandering. Optics are everything and we need to consider them more than just what we want.

I'll be writing in support of keeping them delisted. Our 16 trail cams in N. MN capture more wolves than they do bucks and we don't get the fortune of hunting them..
Could not agree more. Anyone who cared could have seen this coming after the actions of the Idaho legislature this year. Gonna comment, hopefully we retain state management.