Wolves in Utah

Just saw a couple post about some guys that found a road kill wolf in Utah around Starvation Reservoir area. What’re your guys thoughts on wolves being present in Utah? Have you seen them? I’ve heard of people seeing them in in the Unitas which makes sense to me, but it seems like some people think they’re more widespread than that.

Attachments

• 51F07C49-CCA6-48C1-BFF7-9BE49FFDC5E6.png
    51F07C49-CCA6-48C1-BFF7-9BE49FFDC5E6.png
    792.5 KB · Views: 70

CorbLand

WKR
Never seen them but I have heard the on the Utah side of the Idaho border.

One was trapped in Utah back in about 2001-2002. If I remember right it was a tagged individual from Wyoming, I want to say it was somewhere along near Morgan and was the first since they had been exterminated. I think there have been a couple other instances since then as well but haven’t really followed it since I moved away.

Generally I don’t think there are very many around but I wouldn’t be overly surprised that an individual would wander down there from Idaho or Wyoming pretty easily.

I remember a few years back there was an image of the track of a collared wolf that wandered down into the Uintas. l’ll have to see if I can find the image and info.

Like CorbLand said, I was up to Bear Lake one snowy March day in 2002 or 2004 and heard a pack howling on the Utah side of the borde.

Legend

WKR
As long as there are no deer or elk in Utah they shouldn't be a problem.

I know there was one that wandered down to Jacob lake in Arizona a few years ago when I was down there on the buffalo hunt. Collar and everything from yellowstone. It got popped in utah a few weeks later They can really cover the distance. Just a matter of time.

Like2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
As long as there are no deer or elk in Utah they shouldn't be a problem.
The way it’s going we won’t have any in a few years…… seems like ever year everyone sees less and less deer and elk down here in Utah. One of my roping buddies seen what he thought was 2 or 3 wolves up manti while riding his horses. They cornered his dog and we’re about to kill him when he rode up on them and scared them off. Said one was whiteish and the other 2 were grayer looking. I trust the guy with my life so I believe him he wouldn’t make things up. Maybe some of them stupid Pyrenees sheep dogs could breed with a yote? Idk just a thought I had.