Wolves! the antis are suing again

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
From Big Game Forever email I just received

Folks,

I’m writing to report that two days ago, yet another wolf lawsuit was filed in US Federal Court. This new lawsuit, aimed at Wyoming’s most recent wolf delisting, was filed by EarthJustice on behalf of 4 activist organizations including, Defenders of Wildlife, Natural Resource Defense Council, Sierra Club and Center for Biological Diversity. The lawsuit however was not filed in Wyoming. Instead it appears that the plaintiffs intend to pursue the litigation in the federal courts in Washington D.C. As many of you are aware, the last round of lawsuits surrounding Wyoming’s wolf management plan were litigated in Wyoming and upheld key aspects of Wyoming’s wolf management plan. It appears that these groups are hoping that the federal courts in Washington D.C. will ignore Wyoming’s previous court victories while also ignoring the concerns of sportsmen conservationists, livestock producers and game managers in Wyoming.

This new round of these endless wolf lawsuits will definitely be disappointing to sportsmen, ranchers and the public. But the fact that these lawsuits were filed does not come as a surprise to those familiar with past attempts to block wolf delisting. While wolf management in Idaho and Montana is protected by Congressional Enactment of section 1713 of the April 2011 continuing resolution, the states of Wyoming, Minnesota, Michigan and Wisconsin were left out of these provisions. As a result, we can expect these lawsuits to continue, not only in Wyoming, but also in Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota. Big Game Forever continues to work with Wyoming’s Congressional delegation to backstop the Wyoming’s wolf delisting with similar Congressional action.

The state of Wyoming reports that wolf harvest during the 2012 season has been relatively conservative. While the state has an objective of 52 wolves in Wolf Trophy Game Management Area (WTGMA), 34 wolves have been harvested in the first six weeks of the hunt. Another 16 wolves have been harvested in other parts of the state. Approximately, 90% of wolves in the state reside within Wyoming’s Wolf Trophy Game Management Area.

In a press release from Wyoming Fish and Game, Large Carnivore Section Supervisor Mark Bruscino indicates that wolf harvest has been evenly distributed throughout Wyoming’s trophy game management areas, “No one pack is bearing a disproportionate amount of the harvest.” Three of the 12 hunt areas within the WTGMA have met their quota and are now closed.

It is clear that more work is needed to stop these endless lawsuits and begin recovery of America’s elk, moose and deer populations. Please encourage your friends to join the fight by signing the petition at http://biggameforever.org.

--
Ryan Benson
http://biggameforever.org/
[email protected]

tstowater

WKR
If you haven't signed, please sign and donate and get your friends to do the same. If you want to hunt, you need to control the predators and these guys are our best offense (not defense) to get it done.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sorry guys, but Big Game Forever/Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife won't be getting any support from me. I know a lot of people love them, but they do more harm to our causes than good.

tstowater

WKR
Sorry guys, but Big Game Forever/Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife won't be getting any support from me. I know a lot of people love them, but they do more harm to our causes than good.

Tell me who is doing a better job on getting the predator issue resolved favorably and I will reconsider, but they are the party getting something done here without compromising away the long term value to wildlife.

I would like u to explain your position a little better. I know alot of people feel the same way. Randy Newberg of "On Your Own Adventures" wrote a pretty damning article about these guys & a lie they told about there efforts @ wolf delisting.(Randy seems like a stands for us kinda guy to me) There are also other issues with this org. concerning premium tag drawings in western states that I dont understand.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The post was put up to notify you all of the lawsuit, not to start a campaign for or against the organization who happend to send me the email first.

Shrek

WKR
Yes it let us know..and then linked to a group that is out to steal from hunters. They are parasites sucking off of the states and working to shut out average wage earners in fabor of the wealthly. I hope karma catches up sooner rather than later.

Yes it let us know..and then linked to a group that is out to steal from hunters. They are parasites sucking off of the states and working to shut out average wage earners in fabor of the wealthly. I hope karma catches up sooner rather than later.
cant hurt to sign the petition though

wapitibob

WKR
Just an FYI for those that don't know, MT and ID are hunting Wolves and that can't be overturned by a lawsuit. They did it without any help from SFW or BGF. In fact, SFW and BGF lobbied WITH the pro Wolf groups to overturn the very Legislation that has enabled those two states to continue hunting free from legal challenge. Then, sent out their usual email taking credit for that legislations passage.
WY went a different route and now they have a very good chance of losing this lawsuit.

SFWAZ is also that group that thought it was a good idea to take 350 tags from the AZ draw and auction them off at an SFW created Expo. They almost got away with it.

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
The Arizona tag grab was an attempt to steal from everyone to enrich an unaccountable private group and give special hunting opportunities to the wealthy. Absolute scum !

wapitibob

WKR
Getting away from SFW/BGF and back to WY, the following is a repost that BuzzH put up on Monster Muleys regarding the lawsuit. He makes a good argument.

" I don't know if they'll win or not...but its really sad that Wyoming chose to play Marlboro man and risk it all for nothing.

As I've stated countless times for the last several years, the better route would have been to classify wolves as trophy game statewide and require a license statewide. Then, just open what is currently the predator zone to a 365 day season with no quota...but still require a license.

I believe that a piece of what the wolf hippies will use is their court argument is that wolf kills in the predator zone are not required to even be reported. That leaves the door open to the redneck wolf-haters to shoot them on sight statewide with ZERO ways for the the USFWS or WYG&F to verify where the wolves came from. That in turn can be used as a pretty convincing argument that the wolves in Wyoming will be threatened under the dual classification. I also believe that argument has merit. At least if there was a license required statewide, the WYG&F would have statutory authority to impose mandatory reporting requirements and demand that wolf hunters return to kill sites if something is suspect. Also, mandatory reporting would be a great asset to the state to show that not many wolves are being killed in the predator zone...and also to identify if wolves are being illegally taken outside the predator zone.

Right now, the G&F cant even ask a wolf hunter in the predator zone to take them to a kill site. Further, taxidermists are not even required to game tag a wolf taken in the predator zone. The table has been set for the unscrupulous wolf haters via the dual classification to kill any wolf, anytime, statewide. That puts the entire State at risk of relisting if numbers drop lower than the requirements of the EIS. Which, IMO, has a very good chance of happening under dual classification. If wolves are relisted in Wyoming because the state fails to meet the required numbers...wolves will never be delisted again here, ever.

Wyomings plan is a @@@@@ mess and has been since day one.

Considering past court cases, the fact that the USFWS has previously rejected WY's wolf plan, and the facts regarding dual classification I've posted...I'd say the wolf hippies have a pretty good case.

Wyoming plan has left the door open to a possible defeat via litigation...while MT and ID have cemented their management plans."

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID35/2422.html

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know how thread got closed Open again If anyone wants to post links for orgs he believes in Go for it we re all ears

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
1. Sorry for opening up the SFW/BGF debate, my thoughts are laid out pretty clear in a few other places here.

2. Wapitibob- I respect Buzz's knowledge quite a bit, and have picked his brain more than once on hunting related issues. When it comes to things like this he is usually pretty much spot on.

3. I will personally be waiting for the RMEF's take on it, and will be following what they have to say. Speaking of, I just got my renewal papers and will be sending them a check this week. Are they perfect, NO. Do I feel like they are the organization that will do the most to help what I support and believe in, absolutely. Do I believe they offer enough accountability, yes. Do I wish more of their land efforts offered me more opportunity, well yes.

4. http://www.gillettenewsrecord.com/s...ves,81063?category_id=4&sub_type=stories,maps

Based on this article, it would seem that WyGF may have a handle on overall population. Could there be wolves that are being killed in the predator zone without being reported? Absolutely. However, if they have made it to the Red Dessert, i.e. my backyard, Colorado and Utah better be figuring out their management plans soon as well. I haven't been able to confirm it with any data, but there was a rumor they were spotted in Deer Unit 102.

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
PS, posting a link just means we believe we're all adults here and can make our own decision to support or not support an org. The presentation of facts, like sreekers and others have, makes for good debate and can sway opinion/votes/support. That is why we welcome debate, but it doesn't ever mean we're all going to agree on something.

tstowater

WKR
Re: lawsuit: There is not settling this on reasonable terms (which I think Wyoming's is more than generous to the wolves) unless the antis get what they want. Why is that? Because the antis want one of two things: 1. 100% their way (no compromising) or 2. Money!!!!! (from the continuing lawsuits one after another). Ultimately the antis will get their way unless someone stands firm, such as Wyoming and just says no. There is no compromising with someone (there are so many different groups that you could "settle" with all but one and the one would start a lawsuit). Why did the judge in Montana reject a settlement one time---because not all the parties had agreed. Wyoming is correct. Look at, research and understand the big picture. There are many postings on different forums that think that they have it all figured out, but they don't. What will RMEF do? God only knows if they will have a backbone to standup and protect the elk. You can protect and enhance all the habitat that you want, but if you don't control the predators, all you have done is make a better feeding grounds for the predators. Like it or not, it is time to fight the lawsuit and ultimately get Congress to act on this or there will be continuing lawsuits, period. BTW: What happens in Montana or Idaho when the antis get ahold of the game and fish and really cut back the number of wolves you can kill? Are we killing enough wolves there now, if not, only going to get worse. The antis have time, passion and money on their side. It is time to fight back. As I said earlier, I will support Big Game Forever until someone can convince me that a different party is doing it better. Big picture. Long term.

Shrek

WKR
The only solution is congressional action. Tester should have some capital in the senate if he is willing to use it to help Wyoming and the house should be a breeze. If it can be attached to a budget bill with bipartisan support it could be done. If Wyoming had got on board with Montana and Idaho we would not be having this discussion. I put some of the blame at sfw/bgf feet. Ultimately , Wyoming is responsible for this train wreck.