Women's Bow

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
looking for recommendations for my wife. She's a lefty so she can't really try many bows before buying. She is lucky to find a LH demo bow locally. Im hoping to gain insight through all of you before buying something she does not like.

Trial153

WKR
For new bows Bowtech Solution SD is sweet, so is the elite ember..

If you can find a used elite spirit in her draw length and wait youd be set on some short money. I built one for myself with 70 pound limbs to go 28.5...best bow I ever built

Ucsdryder

WKR
My girlfriend played with a few bows. She picked the lightest weight one. Bowtech carbon rose. I would be cautious of heavy bows.

Another vote for an Elite Spirit. Great little bows. The LH pop up every now and then on eBay. Keep in mind they don't swing poundage much. Two turns is all you are supposed to do on the limb bolts, the limbpockets will bind. 50# might get to 41-42# if that's a concern.

I can't help much with new bows. I like the specs of the Prima from Mathews. Hard to purchase unseen, they ain't cheap.

sndmn11

WKR
At 50lbs (60lb limbs) and 25" draw, @KickinNDishin is getting 198fps with 505grain arrows from her two years' ago model Eva Shockey. I think the new model is likely a step up in components and technology if the deadlock cam/pockets and an AL riser matter to you. I think it is the same bow as the above mentioned SD just with prettier highlight colors.

24" draw length really limited our choices, but I've been really impressed with my wife's Hoyt powermax. Very light weight. Shoots well at the range and performed great on an elk last fall.

My only complaint is I wish the grip was less contoured and more slim/vertical like their higher-tier bows. It's not a big deal if you know how to shoot a relaxed grip properly, but it can mess with a new shooter and make it feel like you're supposed to "grab" it. I'd like to replace the grip just haven't gotten around to it.

MattB355

Lil-Rokslider
My wife just picked up a Hoyt Eclipse and she loves the bow. I have shot it and it is dead in hand and super quiet. Go check one out. My wife shot it and bought it on the spot.

ColoradoV

WKR
Travis - Kime picked up a Hoyt power max and she loves it. Pry pulls about 35 lbs and does not want to hunt yet but just shoot w me and the girls.

For her first bow and at the price point it is amazing how good it shoots.

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
My wife just picked up a Hoyt Eclipse and she loves the bow. I have shot it and it is dead in hand and super quiet. Go check one out. My wife shot it and bought it on the spot.

How is the back wall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another vote for an Elite Spirit. Great little bows. The LH pop up every now and then on eBay. Keep in mind they don't swing poundage much. Two turns is all you are supposed to do on the limb bolts, the limbpockets will bind. 50# might get to 41-42# if that's a concern.

I can't help much with new bows. I like the specs of the Prima from Mathews. Hard to purchase unseen, they ain't cheap.

Prima looks nice! I’ve been eyeing that and the eclipse. It would by nice to shoot one locally but I don’t see that happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattB355

Lil-Rokslider
The back wall is solid with two cable stops. The valley is a little narrow so you need to keep back tension or it will get away from you (I shoot 30.5 draw and my wife's bow is 25.5" so it might not feel this way to a person shooting it with their draw length). It has two cable stops on it and a nice smooth draw. Speed is 272fps with her 260gr 3D arrow and 240fps with her 350gr hunting arrow at 48lbs and 25.5" draw.

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
The back wall is solid with two cable stops. The valley is a little narrow so you need to keep back tension or it will get away from you (I shoot 30.5 draw and my wife's bow is 25.5" so it might not feel this way to a person shooting it with their draw length). It has two cable stops on it and a nice smooth draw. Speed is 272fps with her 260gr 3D arrow and 240fps with her 350gr hunting arrow at 48lbs and 25.5" draw.
Thank you, Its hard to tell on their website about their cable stops.

If looking for a solid back wall again it's going to be hard to beat the Sprit. It has the usual Elite limb stops. You get a little bit of adjustment will the valley, of course it plays with letoff as well.

I'm not as familiar with any of the newer Elites, however most go down to 23-24" draw and as low as 40# max draw weight. They still have a solid stop, just don't think it's a limb stop anymore but still a hard stop rather than a string stop.

madeleine

FNG
I just bought my first bow. After shooting many makes/models I chose an Elite Ember. It only comes in RH but the Kure (https://www.elitearchery.com/product/kure) can be built for a lefty.

Re: trying bows out locally, if you can swing it financially, it is possible to order a bow, have Sportsman's set it to your wife's draw length/weight, allowing her to demo/shoot it in the store, and if she doesn't like it, return it for a full refund. I think Cabela's would do this too.

Re: back wall, I think all Elite bows come with the above mentioned attachable limb stops to make the back wall totally solid, though I'm not certain.

The Ember came in a kit with good components (according to individuals with expertise- like I said this is my first bow and I still know very little/have everything to learn about archery- and I did replace the whisker biscuit with a dropaway rest, and the peep as well) thus making it worth the extra cost, in my opinion, in comparison to some of the comparable kits like the Bear Cruzer G2 (super soft back wall) or the PSE Stinger.

Good luck to her, as a woman it is challenging enough to to find a good fit for just about any piece of hunting gear, it must be extra frustrating to be left handed as well.