Women's hunting bow?

OP
HellsCanyon
WoW guys thanks for all the solid advice and info on bows. I'm waiting for her to get me her "wingspan" measurement today so I know atleast roughly what draw length she'll be at.

Evan,
How quiet or efficient can bows be with that huge range of draw weights? I see the Mission RIOT goes from 15-70 lbs! I know that I can tell a difference between my bow maxed out at 70 lbs vs. cranked down between 60-65... Thoughts?

I have shot my bro in laws Hoyt Charger and really liked it for an "entry" level bow. Though if I remember right the grip on it was a bit too thick for my liking and I have large hands. I would think that most women shooters would require or enjoy a thinner grip than even men shooters.

As far as I know there are no good archery shops here in Wenatchee WA. Need to do a bit of research and see if there's something available close by...

Again thanks for the help guys!

Mike

OP
HellsCanyon
Ok and I just got a measurement from her. Looks like with arms straight out back against a wall, she measures 65" fingertip to fingertip... I've heard that if you divide by 2.5 you get CLOSE to actual draw length. Any truth to this? That would put her at 26" which seems slightly long to me but not terribly surprising...?

Mike

How quiet or efficient can bows be with that huge range of draw weights?

This is exaclty why I'm not a big fan of super adjustable bows, especially for adults. They are fine if you have a growing kid. The Martins have different posts on the cams, so the limbs adjust in a normal range like any other bows.

If you were close to the Boise area, I'd let you try out a Martin or two and see what you thought of them.

26 is probably close, even an inch too long will put her at 25 which opens all kinds of doors, as that is where most bows start their draw length range.

CaseyU

WKR
Start an inch under her draw length and with 25 she will fit into a huge variety of bows! You got lucky there ;) keep us filled in

OP
HellsCanyon
So can I start looking at men's bows for her? Most of the bows I'm seeing on manufacturers websites aren't stating weight ranges in that 40 lb range for men's bows...

Mike

Most men's bows should come in 50# which is the max, so you can go down to 38-40# pretty easily. The muscles you use to draw your bow strengthen pretty quickly, so she will be up in the 45-50# range in no time at all.

Also, if a bow isn't offered in 50# max on a website by the company, call them, they might have them in stock, but they probably don't make a lot of them.

I picked up a PSE Revenge for my lady, new for 2013.. Sweet bow and you can sure tell a difference compared to her old Mission. Wow, she loves it. Would be a perfect bow for a guy hunting the mountains too!

When they first arrive on scene in his Prius... You'll get it here pretty soon.

HellsCanyon, what bows have you been considering?

Blackcow

WKR
Take a look at the seduction,by New Breed. If its like the rest of their bows it should be great . My wife wants one ,she hates her Mathews Passion with well a passion . Too top heavy for her,and to balance it with a stab and a side bar with a back bar she despises carrying it through the woods for long . So the mass weight of the bow is something to consider and it has to be her call. She wont shoot it if she doesn't like something about it . Believe me

sneek-ee

WKR
Only thing that bugged my wife with women's bows was the short Axle to axle.
I like a longer bow.. seem to shoot them better and she was the same way... Her draw is 26" also. She got a 50 lb PSE bow madness because of the smooth draw cycle and longer axle to axle. She's loved it and shoots it awesome.

You take her to a shop and put enough bows in her hands, she'll see what feels best to her. I wouldn't necessarily recommend a women's bow just cause she's a girl.

Buster

WKR
So can I start looking at men's bows for her? Most of the bows I'm seeing on manufacturers websites aren't stating weight ranges in that 40 lb range for men's bows...

Mike

Did you ever settle on a bow? My wife is looking for an upgrade. One of the newest considerations is an APA sidewinder. Anybody out there have experience with these bows?