Women's Warm Layer Recommendations

Hello everyone. I am lookin for some recommendations for warm layers for women. My fiance is joining me on a backpack hunt this September and she gets cold easily. I wanted to get her a couple of items to make sure she is comfortable. The problem is a lot of the items I like don't make items for women or if they do they are dyed pink or light blue. Any good layers for women that are relatively light but still warm? Thanks in advance!

TThomson5

FNG
Hello! I do not like being cold here is what I usually wear. First lite merino base layer with Sitka heavyweight hoody, usually throw a vest over that and then my Sitka Jetstream. If it is really cold I wear the first lite merino with the Sitka gradient hoody. Hope this helps. Good luck in Sept!
First lite women’s line fits nicely and so does Sitka. I usually watch for sales or check on her or eBay.

FNG
Wiggys liner jacket and liner vest, socks.
Fishnet shirt and long underwear if it is cold enough. Secondary Wiggys layer if ever required. Unlikely in September. No gore-tex in jackets or boots unless swampy.
Day one camoflage jacket cost custom as much as the imported brand name or any other military overjacket protecting your insulation layers and do not pick up sticker burrs. So, no fleece outer layers. Pants nothing too tight.
Warm stuff needs to be somewhat loose.
Headgear according to her preference, at least a crusher hat to not get sunburn on ears or neck.
Day one gaitors.
Gloves Wiggys if cold or any hunting gloves from big box store.
Realtree shaggy neck gaitor.

Boots: HAIX, LOWA,

I get hypothermia easily. The biggest investment/change in my ability to stay outside in cold temperatures has been buying heated socks and heated gloves. There are plenty of options for great synthetic/wool base layers and puffies, but I notice if my feet and hands are cold, then the rest of my body is sure to follow. There are heated muffs or gloves (Outdoor Research). Some sock brands to look for are Hotronics or Lenz as great investments. Other things to consider are always having a dry change of clothes if she is sweating throughout the day. And lots of layers. Good luck!

FNG
I get hypothermia easily. The biggest investment/change in my ability to stay outside in cold temperatures has been buying heated socks and heated gloves. There are plenty of options for great synthetic/wool base layers and puffies, but I notice if my feet and hands are cold, then the rest of my body is sure to follow. There are heated muffs or gloves (Outdoor Research). Some sock brands to look for are Hotronics or Lenz as great investments. Other things to consider are always having a dry change of clothes if she is sweating throughout the day. And lots of layers. Good luck!
Hypothermia is almost not possible if your body moisture is allowed to stay in vapor form and get away from your skin. Using heated garments normally does not enhance the bodies ability to heat itself. It does the opposite, especially if the heat is too high. Your body will then try to cool itself by sweating. And that means bodymoisture.

Hypothermia is almost not possible if your body moisture is allowed to stay in vapor form and get away from your skin. Using heated garments normally does not enhance the bodies ability to heat itself. It does the opposite, especially if the heat is too high. Your body will then try to cool itself by sweating. And that means bodymoisture.
You are so smart.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hello everyone. I am lookin for some recommendations for warm layers for women. My fiance is joining me on a backpack hunt this September and she gets cold easily. I wanted to get her a couple of items to make sure she is comfortable. The problem is a lot of the items I like don't make items for women or if they do they are dyed pink or light blue. Any good layers for women that are relatively light but still warm? Thanks in advance!
Check Out FORLOH's Women's Line:
100% Sourced and Made in America

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member

What type of build does your fiancé have? I have found the brands run different in their fit
and this information could help make the best recommendation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Huntchic

FNG
I would suggest the older style military Extreme cold weather polypropylene base layer. top has a 1/4 zip bottoms have the guy opening. I wore them a number of times in the Marines in the artic. They are fantastic. I have 2 sets now i wear hunting. they don't make them in women's fit or style. However if you want to stay warm they are the cats meow. Just don't ever put them in the dryer cause they will melt and be ruined. Hang air dry them only. I got a set of bottoms and top for my GF last year so she could stay warm on a trip north. She loved them and said she couldn't believe how warm they were. Ive worn them as base layer down in the -30's to -40's .

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member

Also, where are you going to be hunting? I find the companies that make men’s and women’s clothing are a good place to start, ie Sitka, First Lite are most of what i have. Ryan bought me several pieces that he liked or knew to be warmer in the brands he uses and trust on the women’s side. Most everything he has bought for me has worked really well through many hunts and locations on late fall hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro