Woobie / Bivy real world temps

Vandy321

WKR
For those with a kifaru woobie (not doobie). What have you seen for real world comfort temps using that combo?

During summer scouting this year, I took my 20 degree synthetic, it's an older snugpak tactical 3...I was cold in the low 30s, but not "too cold". I didnt take the woobie for scouting, mainly use it for glassing.

Wondering if the woobie / borah bivy be suitable for 10-11k ft in the southern rockies for Sept archery? I know temps can swing fast...we hit zero degree 1st rifle (early Oct) at 12kft and was thankful to have my zero bag AND my woobie

I have a WM Versalite on the buy list, but thought it may be overkill for Sept. Part of me says bring the Versalite, leave the woobie, but wanted to hear from others

Have a 3 person Hilly for later in the year, but plan for summer scouting and sept archery this year is a supertarp and a bivy.

I have both a 3 and a 5.7 r value pad

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Brendan

WKR
My opinion is no, not reliably warm enough as you get into September. If it's nice weather you'd be fine, but I have a down quilt that's warmer than the woobie I have, and there've been nights during archery I've been wearing my clothes, puffy and hat underneath it (using a bivy too)

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
My opinion is no, not reliably warm enough as you get into September. If it's nice weather you'd be fine, but I have a down quilt that's warmer than the woobie I have, and there've been nights during archery I've been wearing my clothes, puffy and hat underneath it (using a bivy too)

Thanks, that was my gut feeling as well, but wanted to ask.

Havent used the borah bivy, did hear it adds warmth, but most the numbers I saw on the woobie alone were maybe good down to 40 degrees or so

Brendan

WKR
I think you'd be fine in warmer weather, but if you get a cold / wet snap you might not be so happy.

A little bit separate thing on bivy sacks to be aware of: They retain moisture. I've used a couple of the super lightweight ones (Tigoat and Katabatic) where every morning I wake up with condensation on the inside with a quilt that's somewhat clammy and damp. Maybe I sweat easy, but I've taken to using a Borah bug bivy that breathes better, and just having a little warmer gear. Climb in in pants, shirt, puffy - and I'm dry by morning.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I think you'd be fine in warmer weather, but if you get a cold / wet snap you might not be so happy.

A little bit separate thing on bivy sacks to be aware of: They retain moisture. I've used a couple of the super lightweight ones (Tigoat and Katabatic) where every morning I wake up with condensation on the inside with a quilt that's somewhat clammy and damp. Maybe I sweat easy, but I've taken to using a Borah bug bivy that breathes better, and just having a little warmer gear. Climb in in pants, shirt, puffy - and I'm dry by morning.

Thanks, will look at their bug bivy. Was mainly looking at the UL to ditch the tyvek cloth...havent found bugs to really be a factor for me. The bivy just looks nice to keep all your crap contained,

Brendan

WKR
Thanks, will look at their bug bivy. Was mainly looking at the UL to ditch the tyvek cloth...havent found bugs to really be a factor for me. The bivy just looks nice to keep all your crap contained,

That's why I use the bug bivy - has nothing to do with bugs and I don't zip it over my head. Keeps the bottom clean, pad and quilt together and contained.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
That's why I use the bug bivy - has nothing to do with bugs and I don't zip it over my head. Keeps the bottom clean, pad and quilt together and contained.

Thanks. How does their bug bivy do with ground moisture?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
you can figure a bivy to add roughly 5 degrees, not a lot, but something- it also provides protection underneath from moisture and depending on the bivy- at least some resistance from moisture from above

also if you use a quilt, a bivy will greatly reduce drafts, which can reek havoc w/ a guy

regarding the Woobie- it uses 3.6 Apex which is roughly a 40 degree bag, add 5 degrees for the bivy and another ~ 5 degrees for adding insulated clothing you have with and you should be comfortable to ~ 30 degrees (+/- a little- various factors that differ w/ people)

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sounds like you are a cold sleeper too.i run a Recon bivy from EE. Mostly mesh on top with an enclosed footbox. No condensation issues with that setup. You can get better sleep insulation for 2lbs than a woobie.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I tried this combo a few years back. I froze on a 40-degree night. I am a warm sleeper but the woobie is just not good at staying in place.

Lawnboi

WKR
No way. I wouldn’t want that combo below 40

I did what your asking with a doobie and a heavy bivy and it worked just barely for me.

Now I have a WM megalite and versalite, and a woobie to throw over when needed

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
No way. I wouldn’t want that combo below 40

I did what your asking with a doobie and a heavy bivy and it worked just barely for me.

Now I have a WM megalite and versalite, and a woobie to throw over when needed

Is the Versalite and a bivy sufficient for most of your early season stuff?

Lawnboi

WKR
Early season I usually take the megalite

The versalite is a 10 degree bag.

WM bag rating are pretty honest for me. And the generous cut allows me to layer in them if needed

When I bought my first one I wondered if they were worth the coin. I can now say they definetly are.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I had the Versalite on the list as maybe usable, although warm in Sept. And then sufficient for Nov with the addition of a woobie if needed.

My buddy had a 30 degree WM bag (not sure model) in 1st rifle with me, hit zero the evening before opening day, he was fine with his woobie on time, but the hilly tent did seem to add a good 10-15 degrees as well.

Well look into the megalite as well.

Thanks all for the recs and inputs

Lawnboi

WKR
I originally was going to go terralite and probably still would given the specs, but at the time I grabbed a megalite off the classifieds for a good price.

Rizzy

WKR
I have taken my woobie down to low 40s with clothes in a bivy over an xtherm and started to get cold. I wouldn’t recomend trying to rely on it durning a September hunt, get a 30 degree bag instead.