wood burning cook stove

I am just curios how many people use a wood burning cook stove? Such as the vargo hexagon. They seem like a very light weight to go.
If you use one how do you like it?

The only wood stoves I have used for cooking have been on Kifaru stoves. Double purpose. Heat the shelter and cooking

OP
W
yeah I know lots of people use those but I am more curious about the light weight ones for basically boiling water to replace a gas canister and stove that screws to the top.

I bought the Tack 180 because like you I was looking for a "fuel-less" alternative to my Jetboil or Whisperlite. I've had it for a year but haven't used it yet. It's about 25* outside right now so maybe today would be a good day to give it a "driveway" boil test. I like it's construction, & design.

OP
W
That is what I am thinking, save weight. Every ounce counts. The vargo is 4.1oz. My current stove and full fuel canister (100gr) is 10.5oz. There isn't anything as far as space saving because my fuel canister and stove fit in my cooking cup.

Finding Dry wood, my brother and I hunted in the rainiest weather we would ever possibly hunt in here in WY this year and I was able to always find dry small wood to start a fire.

Smoke, I am not worried about the smoke smell at all as far as spooking animals.

Chuffness

FNG
At under half an ounce.. I run the Esbit Ti... I have tablets that i can use with it but if i want i will supplement with wood. Or just burn wood.

Chuffness

FNG
esbit-folding-titanium.jpg

I am just curios how many people use a wood burning cook stove? Such as the vargo hexagon. They seem like a very light weight to go.
If you use one how do you like it?

It's free.

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ffldYo4EVCg[/video]

Lawnboi

WKR
I've got that vargo stove. Sometimes it works ok, sometimes I end up swearing at it.

It's really all about wood prep. If you just grab a bunch of sticks it works ok, or does not work. Take some time to split some good sized limbs to have good dry wood, and it works pretty well.

I'm adding a few esbits to mine in the future.

I end up not carrying it very much.

Good option if your region allows it. You've got to be patient, 15+ mins of wood prep and burning to get a boil was the norm for me. Light as heck. My whole setup, pot and stove ran 8oz.

Not sure I would relyie on it on an extended trip yet either.

Stid2677

WKR
I used one of these some last year for a review. Not the lightest, but comparable to a fuel stove when you factor in you don't have to carry the fuel or an empty can. Boils water very fast, I was surprised at how fast it will boil water. Can also cook on top using a pot stand.

Kelly Kettle

P5250098_zpsee5621f9.jpg

P5250097_zpsd7510f72.jpg

P9120264_zps70f120f8.jpg

P9110244_zps69eb1663.jpg

P6080453_zpsb7d29386.jpg

Didn't get a chance to burn my Tack 180 today.
Biggest advantageI saw to the wood burner & my primary intended use was more week long canoe camping trips than hunting trips. I figure the longer the trip the "lighter" it becomes since I'm not packing fuel. On the canoe trips meals are more a relaxing time. When I'm hunting I'm usually in more of a hurry to get in the woods or bed:)

AndyB

WKR
I went for this one to use with my Trianga alcohol burner. Like the fact I can use wood and or ezbit tabs. Speeds up the boil time over standard shield and rest.
Not used wood or ezbit tabs yet, I intended to use wood on my elk hunt this year but it was that wet just used alcohol, nice to have the option though.

I also got the universal trivet which helps boil times too.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/wood-burning-stoves/RD107.html

Stid, I assume the Heineken can in the lower right in your 2nd pic is some type of alcohol stove? But I'm a little lost on the windscreen underneath & no apparent jet holes?
Or is it some type of wood burner & the can is the pot?
Any details on it?

Floorguy

WKR
Stid, I assume the Heineken can in the lower right in your 2nd pic is some type of alcohol stove? But I'm a little lost on the windscreen underneath & no apparent jet holes?
Any details on it?
I think it's the caldera cone system.

I am thinking about getting the TATO Element Ti stove

I have a back country boiler which is similar to the M kettle buy way lighter. I used it on a 6 day spring bear hunt last year. It for the most part worked great, but one evening we had a heck of a hail storm bivyed out on a mountain ridge and all the wood was wet. I finally found some dry tender under trees but it took me about 20 minutes to get a fire and boil water. My buddies who all had jet boils thought it was pretty funny. Haven't used it since then. I am afraid to use it during the archery elk season due to the high fire danger. But I think they have their niche

chorpie

FNG
Emberlit titanium. I think it's 4.5 oz.? If you camp with a fire, you could always just cook on the fire as well.

eleaf

FNG
Any details on it?

I'd say that can is the pot. It's what I use for my pot (though not with a wood burner).