Wood burning stove preburn

rasfetch

FNG
Hey guys,

just bought a brand new wood stove for my wall tent. I’ve heard it’s good to preburn these things but not finding a lot of good info. A couple of questions for some of you stove vets:

1. how long should I plan for the preburn (ive read 2.5 hours as well as 6 hours)
2. How strong is the smell? I live in a townhome and I’ll be burning it on my patio. Is it strong enough that neighbors standing 15 feet away might smell it? If so I’ll try to plan for a time when they won’t be outside.
3. Non preburn question: do you set your stove directly on the ground when it’s in your tent or do you bring a mat to set it on? If mat, any type of material to use/avoid?

many thanks for the help! feel free to drop any other tips I should know as a newbie to wood stoves!

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
I think it depends on the manufacture and the paint they use I’ve had some that have barely any smell at all and others that stunk for the entire day sorry it Didn’t answer your question

Werty

WKR
Burn length will be determined by the stove, if it smells when burning, keep going till it stops.

We just burned a new stove in this weekend and burned it for a couple hours. Didn’t hardly stink to begin with and it broke in nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moserkr

WKR
Burned in a new stove pipe in the backcountry in about 45 min. Left the tent open, kept it really hot, waited for the odd smell to go away.

OP
R

rasfetch

FNG
Thanks everyone for sharing your experience. Thinking I’ll just take it out on an afternoon and preburn it on public land

PNWGATOR

WKR
Just burn it at your place and don’t worry about it as long as there are no burn bans and you’re in compliance with your local outdoor burning requirements. Easy peasy.

LA Hunter

FNG
I know it's kinda late for this, but using gloves prior to opening from the box is not only for safety but also prevents fingerprints from getting on the stove and getting burned into the finish.