Wood Pellet Conversion for Wall Tent Stove????

OP
Travis Hobbs
Riley of Riley stove company has had them for a few decades. I am guessing his patent ran out and now there is competition.

That’s crazy I had one of his stoves a number of years ago. Never knew of pellet option!

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
How much is a bag of pellets (uh, the good ones!)? I am thinking about adding a pellet stove or a propane one to an enclosed trailer. My brother is pushing the pellet stove, but I don't see much for advantages over propane. Maybe I am missing something. A drier heat maybe?

OP
Travis Hobbs
They run about 5 bucks for a bag.

Couple of things about wood heat for me.

Yes. It’s a dry heat and does an extremely good job at drying clothes, boots, etc. add the fact that there is ZERO condensation on interior, for these reasons alone, Wood heat is enough for me.

It’s safe, virtually no CO2 concerns. (If you die from inhaling wood smoke, you probably shouldn’t be in the woods anyway)

Reliability. I have had multiple propane heaters stop working, work incorrectly (elevation concerns) or just flat run out of propane. Every where I hunt, I can, worst case, cut and find firewood. Never failed me once.

OP
Travis Hobbs
I have had a few people private message me with similar questions. Hopefully these pics I grabbed after another week on it will help and answer some of them. I had a bunch of questions as well and kind of had to learn by trial and error.

I’ve decided. These things are bad ass and every wall tent needs one.

I want to stress, I think this can virtually be added to ANY stove. This is the hole on back of stove. And the pellet adapter
94572773-2B9A-4C9E-8E38-17031F76BFA7.jpeg
8159AF2B-1384-4F77-8BEC-06454C1253C7.jpeg
55748575-117D-4AA0-8FDC-C0F9F0B06B23.jpeg

Last edited:

Huntinut

FNG
I’ve been running one of these for 4 years now. The original design worked ok but as others have indicated there are issues adjusting the feed rate so as not to be to hot or to cold. I made a sealed stove and welded in a modified feed ramp into mine and now I can keep my 12x17 tent anywhere from 58-90 degrees depending on which daughter decides to move the slider. The keg is my pellet stove and is stainless steel.
Did you ever have a chance to get some pix of the ramp you welded in?

Firestone

WKR
They don't have these on their website anymore. I wonder what's up. Has anyone had problems with this setup at higher elevations? Say 9000'

OP
Travis Hobbs
They don't have these on their website anymore. I wonder what's up. Has anyone had problems with this setup at higher elevations? Say 9000'

It’s a great question, I noticed they were off the website a few weeks ago.

If you find out please let me know.

I really haven’t tested it above 9k ft been close with no issues.

Couldn't a guy with fabrication and welding skills make one of these? I checked their website and it's a no go.
Looks to be 4'' or 5'' square tubing maybe 18'' long with welded stiffeners and draft holes. Then a slider within that. Have a sheet metal shop make the hopper and lid? Possible, right?

Lwilliams

Lil-Rokslider
Couldn't a guy with fabrication and welding skills make one of these? I checked their website and it's a no go.
Looks to be 4'' or 5'' square tubing maybe 18'' long with welded stiffeners and draft holes. Then a slider within that. Have a sheet metal shop make the hopper and lid? Possible, right?
Yes, they would be fairly easy to fabricate. Their feed ramp didn’t work well for me, so I redesigned one and welded it in and the stove burns much better now.

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
I thought this was interesting. This guy replaced his door. He can use either. There is a 2nd video where he builds a hopper and it burns 6-8 hrs.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
So I just talked to Riley Stoves and Cylinder Stoves. Both are on production holds right now due to supply issues and labor shortages. Supposedly they are trying to get started on them again in the next few months... Sure hope they do!

If anyone knows where an unwanted one is laying around I am interested! If anyone has one and is willing to provide detailed pictures, I might fab one myself also. Thanks!

Huntinut

FNG
So I just talked to Riley Stoves and Cylinder Stoves. Both are on production holds right now due to supply issues and labor shortages. Supposedly they are trying to get started on them again in the next few months... Sure hope they do!

If anyone knows where an unwanted one is laying around I am interested! If anyone has one and is willing to provide detailed pictures, I might fab one myself also. Thanks!
I just found this!!!

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
I just found this!!!
Cylinder Stoves in Utah makes that one. They have not confirmed that they still do. they dropped it from their website too. Outfitterwarehouse told me to double check with Cylinder Stoves before ordering.

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
I did call Cylinder Stoves in Utah. They confirmed that they are also in a production pause due to tooling in the shop. They will take your name and call you when they are ready to start making them again.