Wood pellets in tipi stove

Anyone ever burn wood pellets in their backpacking woodstove? I heat my house with wood pellets and always have them around. Obviously not for backpacking but this weekend we are "car camping". I'm gonna try it out. Will report back.

oldgoat

WKR
Supposed to work with any organic fuel! I used lump charcoal last year, didn't put out much hear but it kept nice coals to get the wood going

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
I burned a compressed log in mine once. It worked out pretty much as I expected, nice burn time and kept it warm without having to stoke the fire and tinker with much but clogged up the spark screen and left a gummy residue in the stove pipe. Next time I had a wood fire cranking I got most of the residue burned out.

Has anyone tried one of the "cleaning" logs?
Might help get some of that stuff out.
Really interested to hear how the pellets do

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
it was supposed to be a 4 hour log, per the marketing on the paper packaging. It was probably around 3.5, but I added some small pieces of firewood at the end so I can't give a more exact burn time than that. I would do it again if I was going in for a short trip where I wasn't loaded down. Or canoe/hunting trips where weight isn't as big of an issue. Most of the time I wouldn't need 4 hours of burn time anyway, so you could saw one of those in half and still get a nice burn in the evening to dry gear, eat dinner, and go to bed warm. The biggest issue is that it burns a little dirty, no way could you use a screen type spark arrestor. But you get no sparks with one, it'd just be an issue if you were required to use one in a wilderness area or something like that.

Daniel_M

WKR
Keep in mind those compressed logs burn a whole lot hotter. One tip I picked up to use them in an UL stove is to slice them into steaks and break them apart, to compliment the natural wood you're burning.

I intend to use them in a five gallon bucket homemade stove when camping close to the car and using my tipi. Sounds like about 4 of those with a pipe dampener will do it up right. Thanks man.

It may struggle a bit until you get a good draft going, but I don't see why not?
I use one of those pellet mazes in my smoker and it burns with no draft at all once you get it going.

OP
seldomseensmith
It may struggle a bit until you get a good draft going, but I don't see why not?
I use one of those pellet mazes in my smoker and it burns with no draft at all once you get it going.

That's what I think. I'll prob need to light it with some sort of fire starter. Maybe a triox tab or something.