Wood Stoves in Deer Country?

sreekers

I'm a skeptic, and I want to find out what some of the gurus here say.

I am new to the world of packable wood stoves, and frankly not sold on it. I work my tail off to stay as low scent as possible. The whole idea of packing a stove that produces smoke i.e. smell, to my mule deer hunting areas defies much of what I have read.

What say you guys? Should I avoid the stove for the time being during deer season and stick with the Primus stove?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I don't worry about it. I've killed bucks near forest fires, and they didn't seem to care.

I have come out of the wall tent with the stove roaring and been face to face with them also.

evan williams

I don't worry about it. I've killed bucks near forest fires, and they didn't seem to care.

I have come out of the wall tent with the stove roaring and been face to face with them also.
Wood burning smell is a natural smell!!! It happens every year somewhere and most animals won't associate that with "immediate" danger. Because it isn't a NATURAL HUMAN ODOR. STAY warm.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I burn wood within a mile of deer country and have killed unsuspecting bucks numerous times. I don't build a campfire right where I'm hunting though. If you need a formula, then about a mile.

B

bearguide

as long as you are not burning plastic junk, wrappers bottles etc / i try to stay totally away from smoke while bow hunting

couesbitten

I am constantly checking the wind when I am hunting. After 36-48 hours in the backcountry, I'm probably not smelling like a rose anyway, so a little wood smoke isn't going to hurt anything.