Wool pants

I am looking for a pair of wool pants for this fall, the ones I have found online are the filson mackinaw, ll bean guide, and big bill 18oz wool pants. I am looking for a "thinner" pair and wonder if anyone has experience with this or knows of some others I have been unable to find. I have a woolrich pair that I wear all winter looking for sheds and hunting cats and wolves but they are too thick and warm at 30 oz. I believe. The filson ones are 24oz and I like those but I'm just looking for something perhaps a bit thinner. I'm not interested in any camo or anything synthetic. Any help or experience is greatly appreciated

Google “whipcord pants”. I always liked the filson whipcord but, they quit making them for a few years and I moved on to kanabs.
I have not tried the newer model but, I never had a bad product from filson. Good luck!

OP
B
Woop wear alpaca wool pants
You're the man, this is exactly the type of pant I'm looking for. I googled them and read some reviews and then found some orvis pants that are the same blend of alpaca and merino. I'm wondering how durable those woop wear ones are, do you have any personal experience with them? And do you know of other wool pants along these lines or a little sturdier perhaps? Thanks again

RoseAllen

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted the past two seasons in mine. Vary tuff. Alpaca is a hell of a lot lighter than wool. My favorite wool clothing is SwanDri by far. Still using the same pants and bushshirt since 1991. SwanDri does not make the pants any more. Vary water proof!! Also check out opossum down, vary warm and soft (from New Zealand).

I had a pair of military surplus wool pant for 20 years. Wore them three seasons per year here in OH until moths found them in my closet last summer. Think I gave $20 for them. Can't wait to buy another pair.

OP
B
I had a pair of military surplus wool pant for 20 years. Wore them three seasons per year here in OH until moths found them in my closet last summer. Think I gave $20 for them. Can't wait to buy another pair.
Yeah I see those from time to time at army navy surplus stores. I would imagine they're pretty heavy huh? I'm trying to find ones that I won't roast in while hiking in the sep to Nov timeframes. Then I'll go back to wearing my heavy woolrich ones in the winter

Yeah I see those from time to time at army navy surplus stores. I would imagine they're pretty heavy huh? I'm trying to find ones that I won't roast in while hiking in the sep to Nov timeframes. Then I'll go back to wearing my heavy woolrich ones in the winter
No, I wouldn't consider them heavy. Atleast not the pair I had. I've also had Sleeping Indian and KOM wool pants, those I would consider heavy. I didn't have a problem wearing my surplus wool into 70 degree temps and I sweat like a beast.

OP
B
No, I wouldn't consider them heavy. Atleast not the pair I had. I've also had Sleeping Indian and KOM wool pants, those I would consider heavy. I didn't have a problem wearing my surplus wool into 70 degree temps and I sweat like a beast.
Have you been able to find them online?

Have you been able to find them online?
I've seen some similar. The ones I had were almost a uniform pant, that is they didn't have cargo pockets but I always thought that would have made them the perfect pant. OD green in color. I've looked at Filson but real confident I'll just pick up another pair or two surplus.

OP
B
I've seen some similar. The ones I had were almost a uniform pant, that is they didn't have cargo pockets but I always thought that would have made them the perfect pant. OD green in color. I've looked at Filson but real confident I'll just pick up another pair or two surplus.
Yeah I really like those filson ones. Just wondering about high activity ones. If anyone has worn the mackinaw wool ones I'd like to hear your thoughts

Mackinaw= Extremely Warm! Not the best for mobile pursuits but do breath as you would expect.

Any other wool pants you would recommend for this type of activity level since those whipcord ones aren't made anymore?
Preface: I have run the gamut on wool—KOM, SI, Filson, Silent Predator and others. All expensive and hot for mobile pursuits.
I love wool in all varieties. Unfortunately, wool has sort of lost its place to synthetics in the USA. A lot of the stuff you buy in the us today is mostly too heavy. It’s a damn shame! The European market is still alive and well albeit, very expensive. You can find good-excellent wool hunting apparel in Europe at all price points. Look for brands like jaghund, harkilla, falraven, etc... To your question, I have replaced rip cords with first lite kanabs and Kanab 2.0’s. You can’t buy those new anymore but you can buy obsidians but, for me the obsidians fit like MC Hammer pants. I hear they may have worked that out!

You will probably think I’m crazy but, I bought a pair of harkilla no.6 wool trousers sometime post whipcords that are truly unbelievable. They were nearly $400 but, they get regular and vigorous use over the last 7-8 year’s and are still basically new. Some guys will flip out about the price ($500 today) but, they are solid and will likely outlast me (46 today). Great wool is an investment. Again, there are many, many European companies in tune with wool/merino/shetland. I bought the top shelf model but, there are other options. Good luck!

Last edited: